Graziano - More important Cowboy: Dez or DeMarco?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
More important Cowboy: Dez or DeMarco?

June, 26, 2013

On "NFL Live," Tim Hasselbeck and Darren Woodson debated the question: Which player is more important to the 2013 success of the Dallas Cowboys? Wide receiver Dez Bryant or running back DeMarco Murray? Both of them picked Murray, and I think I agree.

As you know if you read me regularly, I think Bryant is coming into his own as an absolute monster and will continue to develop as one of the top wide receivers in the NFL. I think he'll continue to be Tony Romo's favorite target and put up huge numbers in the Cowboys' passing game. But as Tim and Darren both assert in the clip there, a healthy and productive Murray would help everyone else on the offense. He'd help the offensive line. He'd help Romo. He'd probably help Bryant be even more fantastic than he was over the second half of last season.

Can the Cowboys score points if Murray is in and out of the lineup again due to injury? Sure. Romo and his passing-game weapons are enough for the Cowboys to score plenty of points. But there's little doubt that a healthy Murray would make the offense run more efficiently and reduce the pressure on Romo and those around him. The Cowboys would suffer for the loss of Bryant, but between Miles Austin, Jason Witten and the new guys they brought in via the draft, Romo could figure that out. Without Murray, they trend too predictable and don't offer enough variety.
----------------

While I am no Randle fan, he'd have to be complete dogshit for this to be true.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's Dez and it's not close.

Randle can get decent yards if the line is ok. If the line is not ok, Murray won't matter.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Notwithstanding the players, Dallas has had a proficient passing game for the past few seasons and only came up with .500 winning seasons. With a decent running game I think it would have been better. It is feasible that Murray could be a difference maker in the win loss column.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Notwithstanding the players, Dallas has had a proficient passing game for the past few seasons and only came up with .500 winning seasons. With a decent running game I think it would have been better. It is feasible that Murray could be a difference maker in the win loss column.
Murray hasn't been a difference maker in the win-loss column so far. They went 5-5 with him and 3-3 without him last year.

A running game will definitely make a difference, you are right about that. The problem is, the only thing that can fix our running game is getting a competent OL.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Murray hasn't been a difference maker in the win-loss column so far. They went 5-5 with him and 3-3 without him last year.

A running game will definitely make a difference, you are right about that. The problem is, the only thing that can fix our running game is getting a competent OL.
Murray had one 100 yard game last season IIRC. He also shows an amazing inability to score TDs.

But this guy is the key?

The OL is the real issue. And in absence of that, Dez Bryant is a fricking must.

Not to mention the simple fact that Garrett avoids the running game like the plague.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
You can get any swinging dick out there to run the ball. If your OL is decent, you'll be fine. See Morris, Alfred.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You can get any swinging dick out there to run the ball. If your OL is decent, you'll be fine. See Morris, Alfred.
I think the scheme/coaching has more to do with Morris than the "decent OL". Save Williams, that's a pretty average unit that knows what the hell its supposed to do.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Read little man. I said "could be".

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Damn, LT gettin' sassy.
Yeah sometimes I am. It is a pet peeve for me to throw out an opinion or speculation then someone get in my face like I was preaching the gospel.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
The coach and the OL are a bigger part of the run game not working than the back. Murray won't be the reason it succeeds or fails this year.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The smart money is coming in on LT by TKO in the 2nd.

Top Bottom