Sabin: Why Cowboys, other NFL teams are eyeing North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Trade down. Pick up extra picks. Draft Wentz. Profit.
I think it has been mentioned several times over the last few months...he shows out at the Senior Bowl like Rivers did, he's probably at the top half of the first round.

You don't get all cute. If he's your guy, get him.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I think it has been mentioned several times over the last few months...he shows out at the Senior Bowl like Rivers did, he's probably at the top half of the first round.

You don't get all cute. If he's your guy, get him.
Agreed. I think he's already being looked at in the mid to late first. A strong senior bowl week and combine will push him towards the top. Mayock is already saying he could be the first QB taken.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I just think a 1st round qb should be able to throw for more than 200 yards against Jacksonville state. Not only that but he had 2 picks. There were a lot of throws that were off.
16-29 for 197 yards and 2 INT's isn't very impressive. Then again, it was Wentz's first game back from injury since earlier in the season.

It'll be more important what he shows during Senior Bowl week and the combine and workouts. Right now I don't think any of the QB's look to be worth taking at #4 but I expect things to shake out in the next 2 months. The odds though is that only one of them at most standouts and the Browns will take that one at #2.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed. I think he's already being looked at in the mid to late first. A strong senior bowl week and combine will push him towards the top. Mayock is already saying he could be the first QB taken.
The arm was what I expected but I didn't realize what a runner he was until recently. Definitely a QB that a creative offensive coordinator would love. But he still has the size and arm to basically be a pocket guy as well.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It was kind of funny to see his stock explode. We were talking about him in June now every swinging dick is flipping out, like Mayock.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The arm was what I expected but I didn't realize what a runner he was until recently. Definitely a QB that a creative offensive coordinator would love. But he still has the size and arm to basically be a pocket guy as well.
I've said all along that he reminds me of Aaron Rodgers. A pocket passer that can also throw on the move. And even though his game isn't centered around running, can hurt you with his legs if needed.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was kind of funny to see his stock explode. We were talking about him in June now every swinging dick is flipping out, like Mayock.
Yeah, he was never really a secret on this board. But now I love the experts talking about him like he was some big unknown that they are breaking the news about.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I especially like how guys on other boards are talking how they've been fans of Wentz for the last couple years. Yeaaaaahhh. I'll bet most of them hadn't even heard of him until this season. And then once he broke his wrist, forgot his name again. But since guys like Mayock are talking more, have once again become life long fans.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
And his two INTs? The first was on a deep bomb at the end of the half with less than 30 seconds left and it was 3rd and 10. Big deal.
So you're saying it was like a punt? :unsure

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The Draft Twitter guys have had him as a solid number three-four for a bit, jockeying with Connor Cook behind Goff-Lynch.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
So you're saying it was like a punt? :unsure
I'm saying it was 3rd and ten with less than 30 seconds to go in the half. They had a 24-0 lead at the time. If they complete it, great. If they get an interference call, great. If it's incomplete, punt and let the half end. If it's intercepted deep, big deal. Half ends, and you go in to the locker room with a 24-0 lead.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm saying it was 3rd and ten with less than 30 seconds to go in the half. They had a 24-0 lead at the time. If they complete it, great. If they get an interference call, great. If it's incomplete, punt and let the half end. If it's intercepted deep, big deal. Half ends, and you go in to the locker room with a 24-0 lead.
It's a game that he looked great in but someone who just looked at the numbers would have no idea.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It's a game that he looked great in but someone who just looked at the numbers would have no idea.
Yeah. He had 150+ yards passing in the first half while they were taking control of the game. They dialed it way back in the second half, running clock. But we've got people saying he should passed for more than 197 yards. Durrrr.....

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah. He had 150+ yards passing in the first half while they were taking control of the game. They dialed it way back in the second half, running clock. But we've got people saying he should passed for more than 197 yards. Durrrr.....
He ran the ball very well in the second half too.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
He ran the ball very well in the second half too.
Yep. Overall, he had a very good game. Especially considering he hadn't played since Oct 17th. He had a few errant throws, sure. But I'd love to see the QB that doesn't. His second INT I would put on him. He was late with the ball, allowing the D to come over the top and tip it. But overall, I was happy with his performance, especially when you consider the layoff. He made some very nice throws, throwing them on a line, only where his receiver could get to them. It will be interesting to see how he performs during Senior week and the combine. A good performance will make him a lot of money.

Clff15701

DCC 4Life
I Like Wentz I just want to see more from him before I move him ahead of Lynch or Goff. Now if he has a good Senior Bowl I would put him maybe ahead of those guys. I think Goff separated himself from the other two in his bowl game with his accuracy and Lynch didn't help his cause. The Cowboys need to target their guy and go get him without trying to get cute. My biggest fear is Jerry targets Wentz and trades down and then gets out maneuvered and we end up with some scrub at QB. If we end up with Cook because Jerry gets cute my tv will be in the front yard.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
My biggest fear is Jerry targets Wentz and trades down and then gets out maneuvered and we end up with some scrub at QB.
That is pretty much what will probably happen.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
That is pretty much what will probably happen.
Browns take Goff. The Cowboys trade down to 15 with the Rams, who then take Lynch. Jerry gets raped in the trade, but smiles anyway, thinking he's just pulled a fast one on the rest of the NFL... Then watches as the Eagles take Wentz at 13.

Cowboy nation weeps.

Top Bottom