2015 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He was the QB of the team. Performed really poorly, was told he'd have to compete in the bowl game, got mad and left.
And then Kliff did everything he could to restrict him when he left. I don't think Kliff just gets a free pass because other coaches do it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It has always been my understanding that its an NCAA rule that if you try to transfer in conference you have to sit out a year. Coaches can release that (I believe) but that is extremely rare and shouldnt be counted on. I could be wrong but I thought that has always been the case. Mayfield whining about Kliff not releasing him is stupid because it just doesnt happen that often. Whine to the NCAA about the rule and not try to drag someone through the mud just because you didnt get your way.
You are correct but it's a conference rule. Not all conferences have the rule. Hence why Iowa could do that.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
And then Kliff did everything he could to restrict him when he left. I don't think Kliff just gets a free pass because other coaches do it.
Why not? I think its common practice and ones that players know about. Why should Mayfield be any different than any other player that wasnt allowed to transfer?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I guess I'm not seeing what he purposely lied about. Kliff did do everything he could to prevent the transfer. If you're talking about the scholly and weather he was actually offered one, I'm not sure who to believe on that issue.
Kliff doesn't have the power to change the Big 12 rules.

The lack of release had no negative effect on his life. Turn on the TV, bro. He's on now.

So you think that a QB poor school, struggling to win games, playing with TWO true freshman QBs is not going to give a scholly to their QB? Do you honestly believe that? Come on, man! You're better than that. That doesn't even make sense.

Kliff gave home the opportunity, the starting job (after being on campus for a month), trained him for the Air Raid and basically gave him a chance. Baker should send a thank you card to Kliff cause if not he'd be watching on TV right now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why not? I think its common practice and ones that players know about. Why should Mayfield be any different than any other player that wasnt allowed to transfer?
Not all coaches do that. And I think there are a number of coaches that would tell you it's really morally wrong to do. Especially with a non scholarship athlete.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kliff doesn't have the power to change the Big 12 rules.

The lack of release had no negative effect on his life. Turn on the TV, bro. He's on now.

So you think that a QB poor school, struggling to win games, playing with TWO true freshman QBs is not going to give a scholly to their QB? Do you honestly believe that? Come on, man! You're better than that. That doesn't even make sense.
If he thinks he can force the player to stay by hiding behind the rules and then have an extra scholarship to try and make his team better? Absolutely. Which sounds like it is exactly the game Kliff was trying to play.

Rev

Staff member
You are correct but it's a conference rule. Not all conferences have the rule. Hence why Iowa could do that.
Just found it. It is an NCAA rule.

A Required Transition Year
While you do not lose a year of eligibility athletically, all student-athletes who transfer are required to sit out for one full sports season of competition. You are allowed to attend practices and games, but you cannot participate until that year is over. This is a requirement because the NCAA has determined that student-athletes who transfer do not perform as well academically over time. A year at a new school helps students adapt to their new surroundings.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
That seems really dumb to me.

The kid was told he'd have to compete for the bowl game. Baker said then I quit your team the first week of bowl practice. We seriously needed him and needed a teammate at that point. He threw a fit. Are you just not getting this?

Once daddy got the lawyers and tried to beat the rule they tried the "I wasn't getting a scholly" argument. Well after the fact.

They appealed and lost. lol, you know why? Because it is the rules. duh

Last edited:

Rev

Staff member
Not all coaches do that. And I think there are a number of coaches that would tell you it's really morally wrong to do. Especially with a non scholarship athlete.
We cant prove it either way but I highly doubt it. There has just been too many incidents where players are transferring to lower division schools so they can play right away instead of sitting out the year.. I mean if they could just move around dont you think they would?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

While you do not lose a year of eligibility athletically, all student-athletes who transfer are required to sit out for one full sports season of competition. You are allowed to attend practices and games, but you cannot participate until that year is over. This is a requirement because the NCAA has determined that student-athletes who transfer do not perform as well academically over time. A year at a new school helps students adapt to their new surroundings.
Wrong. And right.

As of this year you have to sit out and there are no waivers or appeals no matter what. If you transfer within the conference you additionally lose a year of eligibility. Daddy knew this.

Baker had a chance to transfer to a number of programs but he chose to throw away his year and stay in conference.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

Wrong. And right.

As of this year you have to sit out and there are no waivers or appeals no matter what. If you transfer within the conference you additionally lose a year of eligibility. Daddy knew this.

Baker had a chance to transfer to a number of programs but he chose to throw away his year and stay in conference.

Cotton

Staff member
Wrong. And right.

Right, and that's what I was talking about.

Rev

Staff member
Wrong. And right.

If that is the case now then he absolutely has no leg to stand on what so ever. Quit causing trouble and get the sand out of the vagina, Baker.

Cotton

Staff member
If that is the case now then he absolutely has no leg to stand on what so ever. Quit causing trouble and get the sand out of the vagina, Baker.
The loss of a year of eligibility has always been a Big 12 rule. I think that was the confusion between me and you. I wasn't stating that the sitting out thing was a Big 12 rule.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Not true at all. See Iowa with Jake Rudock. But that's because some head coaches realize that these are student athletes and not professional athletes. I get that caring about the kid is becoming more of a rarity in college athletics but it shouldn't be. I would think you would understand that.

Also no need for name calling. It's probably the name calling that makes yourself and the writer of that article look so bad. Makes it appear as though you have an more of an axe to grind instead of actual facts.
Oh Lordy, I just realized that you were wrong again. This kid graduated. Once you graduate you're a free agent. This happens every year. Happened to Brewer who graduated early and transferred to VT and started for two years. Same thing with Davis Webb. He graduated early and is now transferring somewhere else. I applaud these guys. Student athletes. They busted their asses, played by the rules and took advantage.

You're coach isn't a hero. lol, he had no choice.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wrong. And right.

Yeah, this was what I said earlier. Do you have a copy of the Big 12 rule? What was his basis for the appeal? Can the coach waive it?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh Lordy, I just realized that you were wrong again. This kid graduated. Once you graduate you're a free agent. This happens every year. Happened to Brewer who graduated early and transferred to VT and started for two years. Same thing with Davis Webb. He graduated early and is now transferring somewhere else. I applaud these guys. Student athletes. They busted their asses, played by the rules and took advantage.

You're coach isn't a hero. lol, he had no choice.
Actually Ferentz has the ability to restrict access in conference just like you mentioned with Kliff. He has never restricted access with any athlete that I'm aware of.

Cotton

Staff member

6.3.1 4-2-4 Transfers. A 4-2-4 transfer student-athlete who is in compliance with
NCAA Bylaw 14.5.6 must complete one full academic year in residence before
being eligible to compete in a sport and forfeit one season of competition unless,
in sports other than football or basketball, the director of athletics of the
Conference Member Institution of initial enrollment consents in writing to the
student-athlete’s enrollment at the second Conference Member Institution. Any
consent given relating to the indirect intraconference transfer may be
unconditional or conditioned on the student-athlete completing one full academic
year in residence at the second conference Member Institution before competing.

So basically yes, Baker is losing a year of eligibility because Kliff is being a dick about it.
I guess you missed where it says it's the AD that has to sign that release.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Actually Ferentz has the ability to restrict access in conference just like you mentioned with Kliff. He has never restricted access with any athlete that I'm aware of.
I'm pretty sure you're incorrect. Unless it is an NCAA rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom