Albert Breer On The State Of The Cowboys

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000613168/article/week-17-notebook-cowboys-future-chip-kellys-undoing-more

Before we start to pick apart the Dallas Cowboys' 2015 season -- there's a lot to get to -- it's probably smart to first make clear where Jason Garrett stands going into 2016.

"He's safe," Cowboys executive vice president/COO Stephen Jones said over the phone early Tuesday night. "Change isn't always the right answer. We're not big believers in it. Jason, a year ago, everyone thought he hung the moon. That's the terrible thing about this business: You take one year, and change everything. This doesn't faze us, it won't faze us.

"We're totally in with Jason. We're totally in with our staff."

OK, now that the big piece is out of the way, we can get to all the shattered little pieces of a lost season.

Expectations are always high in the Metroplex, but this felt different. Last year, with the Joneses and Garrett and personnel chief Will McClay helming the ship, the Cowboys were one questionable call away from their first conference title game in 19 years, and the foundation looked as sturdy as it has at any time since that 1995 season, when Dallas won its last Lombardi Trophy.

On Sunday, against the NFC East champion Redskins (let that sink in), the Cowboys will try to avoid standing alone with the franchise's worst record since the 1-15 1989 campaign, Jerry Jones' first season of ownership.

"I think you have to look at everybody," Stephen Jones said. "I'm accountable. Jason's accountable. We're 4-11. It's up to us to do something about it. We had injuries, yes, but Jason doesn't want to use that as an excuse. I don't want to use that as excuse."

Still, the cold fact here is that Tony Romo only played in four games, and finished two, before going on injured reserve last week due to his twice-broken collarbone. And to be clear, no one's under any illusion in Dallas that these Cowboys are ready to win big without No. 9 in the lineup.

But to Jones' point, that hardly justifies what happened -- which, after Romo went down, was not much of anything. The tougher thing to swallow is that this really isn't a new problem, either. Dallas is 78-49 with Romo in the lineup since he became the starter and 7-19 without him, and the Cowboys average almost twice as many touchdown passes per game in the former circumstance vs. the latter.

"There's no way we shouldn't have won three or four more games, especially with the division we're in," Jones said. "Teams win games in those situations, and we're taking accountability for that. We should be able to win games without Tony. One question that's fair is if we have a system in place that's not good for other quarterbacks. How come we can't adapt when Tony's not in the game? It's the same group of coaches, the same cast from a top-five offense, but we don't have the same stats."

And while some of it might be about the investment, or lack thereof, in backup quarterbacks (we'll get to that), Jones was quick to point out how Brandon Weeden getting his first win of the season as a starter on Sunday -- as a Houston Texan -- was sobering. And not because they believe going with Matt Cassel over Weeden a couple months ago was the wrong call. They don't. It just begs the question, in Jones' words, "Why does Brandon go down to Houston and do fine? Ours is a system that's 'Romo-friendly,' but is it not 'other-quarterback-friendly'?"

In other words, because Romo is a different kind of quarterback, and a sophisticated one, does that system become hard to adapt to someone new, in the way the Texans adapted theirs to Weeden?

Then there's the question of who will be the backup in 2016. Cassel's contract expires after this season, while Dallas can bring back Kellen Moore on the cheap. Maybe the Cowboys add another 30-something journeyman like Cassel or Weeden. But as we mentioned a few weeks ago in this space, the franchise is also ready to draft one high.

Romo turns 36 in April. That's how old Tom Brady was when the Patriots drafted Jimmy Garoppolo and how old Peyton Manning was when Denver took Brock Osweiler, and it's a year older than Brett Favre was when the Packers picked up Aaron Rodgers. Which is why taking a quarterback in the top 10 is something the Cowboys will consider.

"Yeah, we gotta look at that," Jones said. "Obviously, it's a bigger deal now, with Tony injured. And I'm sure he'd understand it. But if we draft the guy [in the first round], we're drafting him to watch. And that's the hard thing. He could be watching for three years, but that's not all bad. It can be a good thing for them. Tony got to watch for a long time -- it helped him. Steve Young, Aaron Rodgers, players like that -- guys that have stepped in and played great -- got to watch."

Now, all of this isn't to say the handling of the quarterbacks was the only issue this fall.

There was also the makeup of the locker room, which was tense at times, and recalled 2008. That year, the Cowboys were coming off a breakthrough year and, sensing they were close, took splashy risks (Pacman Jones, Roy Williams), paid key vets ... and watched it all implode. They didn't have a quarterback injury like they did this year, but the other similarities aren't lost on the Joneses, particularly with Greg Hardy's deal up at the end of this campaign.

"That's fair," Stephen Jones said. "We'll look at those things, and we've talked about that. You bring in those players and you win, and they don't seem to be an issue. You don't win, and it becomes a focus. It's fair that it's brought up. It's something we'll take a look at."

There are smaller things to sort through, too. The running back situation is one (Darren McFadden has been great, but will turn 29 next August). The future of the secondary is another (Brandon Carr has a big cap number, Orlando Scandrick is returning from an ACL injury and Morris Claiborne is heading into free agency). The hope is Dez Bryant will come back healthier next season, but the team could use another weapon in the passing game, with Jason Witten turning 34 this coming offseason.

Still, the belief in Dallas is that there remains a rock-solid foundation under the rubble. Which makes the carnage of '15 all the more frustrating.

"You gotta be able to win with good players out," Jones said. "We have a lot of work to do. We will not stick our heads in the sand and say this is all a Tony/Dez deal. We gotta see how we're gonna do it." As such, Jones conceded that 2015 "will go down as one of the big, big disappointments for us since we've had the team."

The good news is, it'll be over Sunday. Even better: When that final whistle blows, Dallas can get on with making sure it doesn't happen again.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Not everyone, goofson.
No shit. I love how he assumes that.

I said it last year even when it was happening, it was almost the perfect storm.

That's one reason why I was freaking out when they were fricking with the chemistry they had, namely letting Murray go.

12-4 wasn't much more than Garrett along for the ride with the momentum we ended up getting as the season progressed.

We were fortunate to win the Detroit game where he got outcoached to even make the Green Bay game.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Yea I've said the whole time we won in spite of Garrett not because of him, but our idiot fanbase will believe anything

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It's at least good to hear that Jerry is already thinking pretty rationally about taking a QB in the top 10 and seems relatively at peace with the idea. Combine that with his Joe Montana/Steve Young quote from a month or so ago and I think there is a very good chance that we take a QB in the 1st if they are the BPA or close to it on our board when we pick.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's at least good to hear that Jerry is already thinking pretty rationally about taking a QB in the top 10 and seems relatively at peace with the idea. Combine that with his Joe Montana/Steve Young quote from a month or so ago and I think there is a very good chance that we take a QB in the 1st if they are the BPA or close to it on our board when we pick.
You are reading more into it than you should. He has also said multiple times over the last few weeks how much of a risk taking a QB in the first is.

As for the Montana/Young thing, well...Montana was not a first rounder and Steve Young was a guy who Walsh traded for. Says nothing about biting the bullet and investing a top 5-10 choice on a QB.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You are reading more into it than you should. He has also said multiple times over the last few weeks how much of a risk taking a QB in the first is.

As for the Montana/Young thing, well...Montana was not a first rounder and Steve Young was a guy who Walsh traded for. Says nothing about biting the bullet and investing a top 5-10 choice on a QB.
Maybe although if a QB is in the top 3 on our board when we pick I still think there is a great chance that it happens. The real question to me is how will we grade these QB's?

Wentz seems like a guy who would be right up our alley, ginger and all, but is a big Senior Bowl performance enough to elevate him that high?

Probably not.

There is a reason that we had scouts at Goff and Lynch's bowl games.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We were fortunate to win the Detroit game where he got outcoached to even make the Green Bay game.
It's amazing. Can you recall a game where Jason outcoached the other guy?

I said back in 2007 that Tony Romo is making Jason Garrett's crazy offensive system work and that he's extremely fortunate to have him.

Romo had to win that Detroit game, too, and Murray changed the emotional momentum when he blasted in for that touchdown.

Players win games, I get that, but you'd expect at least some fucking contribution from the coach.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
His idea of a Montana/Young combo is probably Romo/Manziel or Romo/RGIII. And since he thinks we have this small window left in Romo's career I'd be shocked if he goes QB in the 1st knowing he'll sit for a year or two. We'll probably go defense with Jack or one of the DB's since he'll think having a first rounder that can start immediately will give us the best chance to win now. Of course any talk from Jerry about winning now while at the same time keeping Garrett as HC is a total joke. But I'm sure he's thinking that way even though we've never won more than a wildcard game with Romo or Garrett. Last year we had our best chance to make a run and that was by taking play calling away from Garrett while having the league's leading rusher so we didn't have to rely primarily on Romo's passing.

And the worst thing about signing Manziel or RGIII is they will likely be viewed by Jerry as the heir apparent to Romo. The worst thing you can do at QB is not drafting a potential bust, it's having a starting QB that gets to 8-8 or the first round of the playoffs but can't win it all. It just gives the organization false hope and like the last 10 years can lead to another decade of futility. I'd prefer swinging for the fences in the draft and if the QB is a bust then you know you have to replace him. You see the same thing with teams like the Bengals. Dalton can put up big numbers and get the Bengals to the playoffs virtually every year, but they ultimately have nothing to show for it other than some stats and wildcard games, much like us with Romo, and probably the same if we ever have RGIII or Manziel starting.

But I'm sure Jerry will be content as long as we are entertaining and 'relevant'. Until we actually get a real HC and a quality starting QB we'll just keep spinning our wheels.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
There is a reason that we had scouts at Goff and Lynch's bowl games.
Yeah. Due diligence.

This offseason is going to suck out loud.

They will not draft a QB. They will get some POS like Robert Griffin.

They will continue to think that nothing is wrong that a few CBs can't fix.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
The shame is drafting a QB and letting him sit used to absolutely be the way it was done. Now it's seems as though it is a taboo thing. If you are as good as you think you are you won't get this opportunity again for years. Draft a QB and let him sit and learn and be ready when Tony retires or wins which may be the same thing. WHo is to say he doesn't win next year and decide it is the best thing to go ahead and quit b4 he gets killed again?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The state of the Cowboys is that we're a dumpster fire going nowhere fast.

If Romo can stay healthy and show he can still play at a high level next year, then we'll be in the running for a playoff spot, but that's about it.

My apathy has never been at the level it is right now. I totally don't give a shit anymore. It's been a few years since my interest in the team began to change, and it's been going downhill ever since, even with the surprising 2014 season.

Would it be nice if they won next year? Sure, but if they don't, then I'll just tune them out like I did most of this season. It won't even bother me if they have another bad season after that.

My Sundays used to be all about football, and especially Cowboys football. Nowadays, I spend many Sunday's without watching a single minute of NFL football, and that is something I wouldn't have even begun to fathom just 5 years ago.

It isn't just the losing, it's reading stupid comments made by the organization and members of the coaching staff that pushes me over the edge. Seeing Jerry talking about Churchill and goof son ensuring that Garrett will return just cements my decision to find something better to do with my time.

It'll take a minor miracle for us to luck into a Super Bowl, because that's the only way it's going to happen. We almost lucked into a special season last year, but stupid coaching (as usual) and timely mistakes kept that from happening. But even then, I took that playoff loss very well and that speaks to how far my level of interest in the team has fallen in recent years.

If it weren't for the members on this board that I've known (or feel like I know) for over 10 years, then I probably wouldn't even visit here either. (cue the jokes :art)

I said it a few years ago and I'll say it again, I am absolutely convinced that I will never ever see the Cowboys win another Super Bowl.......but I'm ok with that now.

Last edited:

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Fat Steve said:
"Change isn't always the right answer. We're not big believers in it."
Understatement of the fucking century.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
It's amazing. Can you recall a game where Jason outcoached the other guy?

I said back in 2007 that Tony Romo is making Jason Garrett's crazy offensive system work and that he's extremely fortunate to have him.

Romo had to win that Detroit game, too, and Murray changed the emotional momentum when he blasted in for that touchdown.

Players win games, I get that, but you'd expect at least some fucking contribution from the coach.
No, I really can't. And that became very evident once Romo went down and he couldn't make even the simplest of adjustments that coaches should be able to make.

I will give the Ginger mad props though.. There's nobody better at outcoaching Garrett than Garrett.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The state of the Cowboys is that we're a dumpster fire going nowhere fast.

If Romo can stay healthy and show he can still play at a high level next year, then we'll be in the running for a playoff spot, but that's about it.

My empathy has never been at the level it is right now. I totally don't give a shit anymore. It's been a few years since my interest in the team began to change, and it's been going downhill ever since, even with the surprising 2014 season.

Would it be nice if they won next year? Sure, but if they don't, then I'll just tune them out like I did most of this season. It won't even bother me if they have another bad season after that.

My Sundays used to be all about football, and especially Cowboys football. Nowadays, I spend many Sunday's without watching a single minute of NFL football, and that is something I wouldn't have even begun to fathom just 5 years ago.

It isn't just the losing, it's reading stupid comments made by the organization and members of the coaching staff that pushes me over the edge. Seeing Jerry talking about Churchill and goof son ensuring that Garrett will return just cements my decision to find something better to do with my time.

It'll take a minor miracle for us to luck into a Super Bowl, because that's the only way it's going to happen. We almost lucked into a special season last year, but stupid coaching (as usual) and timely mistakes kept that from happening. But even then, I took that playoff loss very well and that speaks to how far my level of interest in the team has fallen in recent years.

If it weren't for the members on this board that I've known (or feel like I know) for over 10 years, then I probably wouldn't even visit here either. (cue the jokes :art)

I said it a few years ago and I'll say it again, I am absolutely convinced that I will never ever see the Cowboys win another Super Bowl.......but I'm ok with that now.
No worries. You are probably in process of priority changes. It happens to all of us who are fortunate enough to be able to advance in life. Things we are passionate at one point in life becomes less important as other things replace them. The bad newsis it will continue as you progress down the road.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Understatement of the fucking century.
That kind of stuff is just baffling.

ON one hand, Jerry says he admires the Patriots for their ability to sustain success, but yet he won't operate his team anything like Kraft does. And then you have Stephen saying they're not believers in change.

Yea, no shit. But don't you think that after not even making it to a conference championship game in those 20 years would suggest that maybe you DO need to believe in change? Since we entered the new century, only once in 16 seasons have the Cowboys made the playoffs in consecutive seasons.

I wonder why that is? These guys are either too stupid or too stubborn to recognize what needs to be done. If they don't care enough to make the necessary changes, then I don't care enough to keep supporting them.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Not everyone, goofson.
Exactly. Most felt finally having a great OL and running game along with Garrett not calling plays is what led to the 12-4 year. Not many, except for those who think Jason is the next Landry, thought last year was a result of Garrett's great coaching ability.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
No worries. You are probably in process of priority changes. It happens to all of us who are fortunate enough to be able to advance in life. Things we are passionate at one point in life becomes less important as other things replace them. The bad newsis it will continue as you progress down the road.
While that certainly could be part of it, that's not the main reason. In fact, my interest in the college game has gone up big time in the last few years. I make time to watch college games and even record some of the west coast games that come on late and watch them the next day.

My interest in video games hasn't suffered a bit either. :art

My point is, the main reason the Cowboys aren't a priority in my life anymore is because of the Jones' and their idiocy.

I could deal with a loser that just kept getting everything wrong. I could accept being a fan of a cursed franchise. But what I cannot stand is being a fan of a team that PURPOSELY dwells in mediocrity because they aren't willing to sacrifice their own personal interests for the sake of improving the team.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
The shame is drafting a QB and letting him sit used to absolutely be the way it was done. Now it's seems as though it is a taboo thing. If you are as good as you think you are you won't get this opportunity again for years. Draft a QB and let him sit and learn and be ready when Tony retires or wins which may be the same thing. WHo is to say he doesn't win next year and decide it is the best thing to go ahead and quit b4 he gets killed again?
The thing is that Romo is still good. So in that regard there would be no need to rush him. The problem is, as we've seen this year, is that he's incredibly fragile.

In a perfect situation I'd love to see our hopeful franchise QB sit and learn for a year or two, and then be ready to take the reigns when Romo goes down or retires.

And you know what, if the new guy can beat out Romo then so be it. I just want one to be capable of winning, and taking over, should the opportunity present itself and lets face it that isn't going to be Moore or anyone on our roster.

Top Bottom