Sturm's morning after: What to make of garbage time in Philly

p1_

DCC 4Life
Sturm's morning after: What to make of garbage time in Philly

By Bob Sturm , Special contributor Contact Bob Sturm on Twitter: @SportsSturm

Much like a large majority of the football public around here that has closely followed the Dallas Cowboys over the last two decades, I will confess that I don't really know how to process the events of Sunday afternoon in Philadelphia. So, I won't.

Forgive me, but I am far more used to high-stakes games being played in Week 17 where the destiny of the entire season is being determined over one 60-minute contest against a bitter rival in, usually, a bitter setting. I am also used to fretting over the injury report and wondering whether someone will get fired for the result (before remembering that there is no way Jason Garrett is ever getting fired).

So, preparing to write up some thoughts on this Week 17 affair in Philadelphia, I was certainly struck with how pretty much nothing that happened Sunday mattered.

Oh sure, there were a few things that jumped off the screen in the meaningless loss. Not the least of which was the first (and only?) series where the familiar face of Tony Romo was leading the huddle and then the offense right down the field with a quick and decisive drive that ended in 7 points.

Romo appeared as sharp as a knife, making strong and swift decisions and putting the ball right where he wanted it to go as if he was still at the height of his powers. It verified how strong his practice performances have been, where observers gush at how it looks like "old Tony" out there.

Of course, we know that the only way to verify if he really is as good as new would be to leave him out there to take some of the hits that Mark Sanchez received in the second half after the Cowboys offensive line was stripped down to the bare necessities to get them through the game. Like in practice, Tony was not touched. Travis Frederick and Zack Martin did their part inside, but Ron Leary joined Tyron Smith in sitting out the contest and were replaced by Joe Looney and Emmett Cleary. Those two, along with Doug Free - who is not blocking Brandon Graham under any circumstances - made pass protection a far more adventurous prospect against an Eagles front that stymied the starters back in Week 8.

Sanchez was tossed around quite a bit and spooked into some poor throws. Whether Romo could have withstood those hits and blitzes with his health and nerves intact is mere speculation, but the Cowboys were not about to leave him in there to find out.

That, for me, seemed a bit curious to be honest. Yes, the Eagles likely would have tried to test his body out and see if his core is up for any more challenges than it has shown in the last 18 months that have seen him knocked out of action on three separate occasions for a minimum of two months each time. But, if you sincerely hoped to prepare him for the playoffs, it would seem that getting that first hit out of the way would have done some good.

Were they simply trying to prop up some sort of offseason trade value? And if so, would six plays - no matter how impressive - really cause some team that was not interested in his services on Saturday to change its mind by Sunday?

Because I do see real value in increasing his preparedness for the playoffs, and I would have given him the entire second quarter. That, ironically enough, perhaps would have saved us from the two interceptions that Sanchez promptly threw on two of his first three series in charge of the Cowboys offense. This powerhouse unit was stripped down without many of its key parts, and after the two giveaways quickly just wanted to get to halftime before any further damage was done.

In the second half, it was pretty clear that the Cowboys joined me in simply hoping the game would switch to a running clock. There was nothing particularly noteworthy from players of great significance, but I would offer a few quick thoughts from the game before we turn the page:

Randy Gregory still has all of the traits that made me happy the Cowboys took him when they did at the end of Round 2 in the 2015 draft. Yes, that looks silly to say, given that he might be leaving again soon on yet another suspension, but I would offer you the premise that this is what the draft is all about. You want the best crack at quality at the cheapest price possible. It is the difference between Ezekiel Elliott and Dak Prescott, to be honest. There is almost nothing Elliott can do that makes him exceed expectations. To be clear, he is meeting his expectations, but merely duplicating Darren McFadden's stat line from last season was not going to be enough. He had to compete for a rushing title. He had to make a significant difference. And even when he did, it would be more from a standpoint of living up to his hype, rather than shocking anyone.

Prescott is quite the opposite. The bar from him was simply to prove a worthy backup QB within 3 seasons. That is all he had to do is show that in 2018, he could win a few games in relief of the starter at the time, who the Cowboys figured would still be Tony Romo. He has exceeded it so much that the future of his predecessor appears to be elsewhere. That is called jumping over your bar.

Now, where is Gregory? I admit, as we end Year 2 that we are pretty much right where we started - except a bit more aggravated that he still is dealing with the very causes of his slide in the first place. Anyone that sees one snap can see that he is incredibly gifted with a skill-set that is rare and highly coveted. But, anyone that can read sees that he appears to be his own worst enemy. So, those who wanted the Cowboys to look elsewhere at that portion of the draft seem vindicated, but I still hold on to the belief that he is going to be superb for somebody before it is all said and done. But, those flashes, including another few Sunday, may be all we have if the league doesn't respond favorably to another appeal of discipline in the next week.

Meanwhile, I am asked all of the time what gives me the most cause for concern in the playoffs for this 13-3 juggernaut. Let's start with the fact that there isn't much. This team is pretty healthy and pretty solid everywhere you look. Its secondary is better than it appears on paper and the defensive front has hardly been an issue all year.

I am quite concerned with the last month from Doug Free. He has been a very solid pro for a long time, but his diminishing performances recently have me believing this is his last run as a starter on this line. Right tackle will be occupied by someone new next season, although the Cowboys do have some appealing internal options. He just can't stay in front of elite pass rushers anymore and Danielle Hunter, Brandon Graham, and even Romeo Okwara have made that abundantly clear. With a healthy Tyron Smith, you can always slide help Free's way, but if Tyron isn't right, things get complicated.

Beyond that, this team looks ready. There are matchups that seem more favorable than others, but any battle happens here and the Cowboys can rest while the field bludgeons each other for the right to limp to Dallas in 14 days time. The Cowboys have earned this and will be expected to play in their first NFC Championship Game since 1995.

This Eagles game will offer nothing terribly memorable, aside from Romo's 6 snaps, but 2016 has been anything but forgettable.

Now, the real fun - and stress that goes with it - begins.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
I am quite concerned with the last month from Doug Free. He has been a very solid pro for a long time, but his diminishing performances recently have me believing this is his last run as a starter on this line. Right tackle will be occupied by someone new next season, although the Cowboys do have some appealing internal options. He just can't stay in front of elite pass rushers anymore and Danielle Hunter, Brandon Graham, and even Romeo Okwara have made that abundantly clear. With a healthy Tyron Smith, you can always slide help Free's way, but if Tyron isn't right, things get complicated.
Free has been crap for the majority of this season, not just over his past month. He has been the drive killer more times than I can count and you can pretty much guarantee that he'll have the worst timing for a hold or forget that he has a man to block.

I realize that right now we don't have anyone better, but this is definitely an area that needs to be addressed and ultimately if we fail come post season I'll go on record saying that he'll be the reason why.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Free has been crap for the majority of this season, not just over his past month. He has been the drive killer more times than I can count and you can pretty much guarantee that he'll have the worst timing for a hold or forget that he has a man to block.

I realize that right now we don't have anyone better, but this is definitely an area that needs to be addressed and ultimately if we fail come post season I'll go on record saying that he'll be the reason why.
This is 100% correct. Actually Free should have been replaced 2 seasons ago because he is the OL weakest link by far. He gives up pressure and sacks at the worst time.

I think he he would be a great backup/depth player but he has outlived his abilities as a starter at RT.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I sure wish we didn't have to wait until next season. Cant you just hear the defensive coordinators now, telling the left defensive ends that they will feast on Free's slow white ass? Ugh.....:picard

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Free has regressed over the last half of the season. That's pretty clear. But people over exaggerate just how bad he is. Yeah, he's the weak link on this line. But that's not saying much. Hell, if Mark Tunei was here in his prime playing with this line, he'd probably be looked at as the weak link, too. And no, I'm not comparing the two. Just using him as an example as to how good the other four guys on our line are.

I look forward to finding his replacement this upcoming offseason, because he is regressing. But if all of our 4th rounders gave us as much as Free has, we'd be doing pretty good.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Free has regressed over the last half of the season. That's pretty clear. But people over exaggerate just how bad he is. Yeah, he's the weak link on this line. But that's not saying much. Hell, if Mark Tunei was here in his prime playing with this line, he'd probably be looked at as the weak link, too. And no, I'm not comparing the two. Just using him as an example as to how good the other four guys on our line are.

I look forward to finding his replacement this upcoming offseason, because he is regressing. But if all of our 4th rounders gave us as much as Free has, we'd be doing pretty good.
So lets compare him to Leary and Collins. Both players undrafted. And both far better players.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
So lets compare him to Leary and Collins. Both players undrafted. And both far better players.
I wasn't comparing him to anybody. If you want to, be my guest.

But the point remains. He's not an all pro, but he's not the total waste people portray him as, either. He is/was a well spent 4th round draft pick.

Also, trying to pass Collins off as your avg every day UDFA is being dishonest. If he didn't have that crap hanging over him on draft day, he would have been a first rounder. Even Leary would have been a 3rd-4th rounder if not for the degenerative knee that scared teams off. It's held up pretty well for him so far.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Collins wasnt undrafted because of a lack of talent.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

But the point remains. He's not an all pro, but he's not the total waste people portray him as, either. He is/was a well spent 4th round draft pick.

Also, trying to pass Collins off as your avg every day UDFA is being dishonest. If he didn't have that crap hanging over him on draft day, he would have been a first rounder. Even Leary would have been a 3rd-4th rounder if not for the degenerative knee that scared teams off. It's held up pretty well for him so far.
I agree Free isn't great but he holds his own with most of the rest who plays that position.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Im simply contrasting draft positions as you mentioned Free being a fourth rounder.
We merely found some great talent outside of the draft, much less the higher rounds, including the fourth. Regardless of the scouting reports, natural talent, bum knee conditions or potential legal entanglements. Free may not be as bad as he gets berated, but he is the glaring weakness on this unit. No more, no less. It's not good, it's not bad. It simply is what it is. I struggle watching him get beat so often, and I wish we could address it sooner than later.

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Chaz and Collins could make for an excellent competition there. Obviously it means bringing Leary back.
Good as Collins is, Leary has outplayed him at every opportunity. The running game has clearly been better with Leary.

dallen

Senior Tech
I wonder how much Swaim was helping Free out.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I wonder how much Swaim was helping Free out.
Not much at all.

We really don't help out a lot period.

The RB have been chipping a lot more the last couple of weeks and the TE is called on to block one on one some but they don't really help the OT's much.

Top Bottom