Cowboys' offense too Tony Romo-friendly. Romo-reliant

Carp

DCC 4Life
We do need a true speed threat at WR though. Whitehead has shown some skills and speed, but defenses don't really have to adjust to anyone on our offense. Dunbar did some things, but he can't hold up.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So you think there was nothing anyone could discusse as to why the team structure couldn't be utilized to better suit the remaining players? I think it is the duty of the GM to put the coach on the spot at the earliest possible time to encourage them to react to fix the problems that were apparent to most. The system was not producing so to just sit back and allow it to continue is a dereliction of duty in my opinion. In addition it is more difficult to take corrective action at the appropriate time if the circumstances have not been touched on before.
Coaches coach. I don't think it's the GM's duty to make coaching decisions. The corrective action a GM makes should be to pick a different coach.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It's not making coaching decisions to inquire about apparent problems. It's the GM' s responsibility to detect and inquire about apparent deficiencies. You are confusing inquiry with micromanaging.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's not making coaching decisions to inquire about apparent problems. It's the GM' s responsibility to detect and inquire about apparent deficiencies. You are confusing inquiry with micromanaging.
So you don't think Jerry has inquired at all?

shane

DCC 4Life
Again, he can't catch the damn ball consistently enough. Even when it hits him in the chest (which is his biggest problem, BTW). So, no, he's not a solid #2. Not even close.
Eh. I don't think his pass catching was a factor until the team fell to pieces over the past several weeks. I still think he's got some potential, has shown that he can be effective next to Dez, and that he can be a serious play maker. There are flaws to be sure such as his tendency to disappear but that can be worked on. A competent coaching staff would help too of course. If we take a WR in the first three rounds of the draft, I won't be pleased.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Terrance is not a solid #2 on any other team than this one.
I bitched about Williams last year, he vanished much like this season.
He failed miserably when given a major opportunity this year.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Eh. I don't think his pass catching was a factor until the team fell to pieces over the past several weeks. I still think he's got some potential, has shown that he can be effective next to Dez, and that he can be a serious play maker. There are flaws to be sure such as his tendency to disappear but that can be worked on. A competent coaching staff would help too of course. If we take a WR in the first three rounds of the draft, I won't be pleased.
His biggest flaw, which is letting the ball get into his body (because that's the way he is most comfortable watching it) most likely can't be coached out of him. And, if you can't consistently catch the ball away from your body, you can't be relied on, period.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So you don't think Jerry has inquired at all?
Have no idea but he should have. There is an indication he may have evidenced by his statement that he didn't see why the team could not win games with a backup QB.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I bitched about Williams last year, he vanished much like this season.
He failed miserably when given a major opportunity this year.
Williams has been erratic his entire career with Dallas. Sometimes he makes circus catches and then he looks like is lost. He is on par with Alvin Harper who was also an enigma.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Also doesn't help that Weeden could not throw to his left.
I'm not saying he's a good QB by any stretch, but if you told me before the season that Matt Cassel and Brandon Weeden would be our backups I'd have said we're good to go.

But this offense didn't just lose Romo it also lost Dez playing at an elite level.

Without that superstar pushing the defense, the rest of the team wasn't even close to getting open and we couldn't get a rhythm going despite having a decent running game. That was ridiculous. Sure you expect some hiccups, but just spread the ball, find some decent pick plays, and get rolling.

Don't run the same old shat and let these WR's know they aren't entitled to their damn starting positions.

The Steelers are the gold standard for finding and developing WRs. Antonio Brown was a third stringer who became the best in the league. Mike Wallace was a backup who became elite before him. Those fuckers know what they are doing.

We float bit players like Cole Beasley out there who have no chance of becoming a #1 threat. Our development pipeline is more of a dartboard.

I would love to for once find a solid pro like Golden Tate or Daniel Baldwin who knows every route, isn't a one-trick pony, and doesn't give a damn that he's not a superstar.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Blame the offensive system if you want, but it's clear Dallas has been cursed with WRs who just can't get open.

DeAndre Hopkins is a monster who can also take the top off a defense. Closest Dallas came to that was one play with Brice Butler.

The main thing that "handcuffed" Weeden in Dallas was the lack of skill talent at WR.
I regret to inform you that Dez, Williams, Beasley and Witten will be the main guys again next year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing wrong there. Need a #2.
I'd love a number 2 who is more of an electric speed guy. It's why I have mentioned someone like Will Fuller on here. Not sure he will declare but he is a fast dude who also happens to have the ability to go up and make the jump ball catches as well. Someone like that could really compliment Dez and make this offense more dynamic.

With that being said, you can have a potent offense with a WR corp of Dez, Williams and Beasley. You just need a QB who is capable and a head coach who knows what he is doing.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'd love a number 2 who is more of an electric speed guy. It's why I have mentioned someone like Will Fuller on here. Not sure he will declare but he is a fast dude who also happens to have the ability to go up and make the jump ball catches as well. Someone like that could really compliment Dez and make this offense more dynamic.

With that being said, you can have a potent offense with a WR corp of Dez, Williams and Beasley. You just need a QB who is capable and a head coach who knows what he is doing.
Possibly so but Williams was erratic even with Romo.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Blame the offensive system if you want, but it's clear Dallas has been cursed with WRs who just can't get open.
Dez included. Guy is rarely open. Even when healthy. Depends on athleticism to out jump DBs for ball.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Dez included. Guy is rarely open. Even when healthy. Depends on athleticism to out jump DBs for ball.
Jumping is his strong suit. He does it very effectively. It is a good weapon.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
So we can't have T Williams and draft a WR in round 3-4?
Assuming Butler stays, maybe they think the position is already well-stocked. I know fans kid about Dallas drafting too many tight ends, but with Witten slowing down, Escobar being a massive bust and Hanna a JAG who does nothing particularly well, it might be wiser to go in that direction.

Top Bottom