Machota: Jerry Jones - We've been thinking about drafting our QB of the future

townsend

Banned
Is it weird to anyone else how much cooler we all were with Hardy's escapades? Dallas has a pretty good track record of keeping low grade screw ups under wraps. Nothing Johnny has done is worse that Dez's occasional screw ups. It's definitely not worse than underwear theft. As long as Jounny is willing to accept a babysitter, we should do it.

townsend

Banned
Not at all. He should have gone to rehab. He shouldn't have made one of his first stops out of rehab at the bar. It destroys credibility that he was sincere about rehab.
but was it his responsibility to convince anyone of his sincerity? Maybe if the Browns asked him to go, but if he went of his own volition, it's not really anyone's business.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
but was it his responsibility to convince anyone of his sincerity? Maybe if the Browns asked him to go, but if he went of his own volition, it's not really anyone's business.
I am not saying it is my business. I am saying it is an additional reason I don't have a lot of confidence in his reliability as someone who I could have a, large degree of trust. It is just another negative to several others about him that makes me not want him as a Quarterback for Dallas. As to Hardy, I haven't made a comment about him one way or another but he has more going for him as a player than Manzeil does.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am not saying it is my business. I am saying it is an additional reason I don't have a lot of confidence in his reliability as someone who I could have a, large degree of trust. It is just another negative to several others about him that makes me not want him as a Quarterback for Dallas. As to Hardy, I haven't made a comment about him one way or another but he has more going for him as a player than Manzeil does.
But by your own words, if he didn't choose to go to rehab you would think more highly of him. It's the most ass backwards logic I have ever heard.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
But by your own words, if he didn't choose to go to rehab you would think more highly of him. It's the most ass backwards logic I have ever heard.
I wouldn't think more highly of him whether he chose to go or was mandated. That's not the point. I don't like a lot of things about him as far as my preferences as a quarterback and I have expressed them over the months. The rehab thing is just something else that makes me think he still hasn't reaches the maturity level he needs to be.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That's absolutely not true. He was trying to convince his employer that he was trying to get his shit together and went straight from rehab to a party. I would say that's absolutely his employers business.

Cotton

Staff member
Your logic is backasswards. He went to rehab to try and get better (or put on a show) and then went straight back to partying. You act like he was having a casual glass of wine with a friend after supper. He went to what could be equated to a frat party and then let his antics be video taped. It's beyond stupid.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your logic is backasswards. He went to rehab to try and get better (or put on a show) and then went straight back to partying. You act like he was having a casual glass of wine with a friend after supper. He went to what could be equated to a frat party and then let his antics be video taped. It's beyond stupid.
If you have a problem with him partying, cool. I think you're blowing the videos way out of proportion but that's a fine discussion.

But to claim it's worse because the guy voluntarily went to a rehab program is where you're making zero sense. I take issue with that. If you think he parties too much, you can leave it at that.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
That's absolutely not true. He was trying to convince his employer that he was trying to get his shit together and went straight from rehab to a party. I would say that's absolutely his employers business.
He got out of rehab back in April...

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I guess I've never read the rule that says if you go to rehab you can never drink again.

Cotton

Staff member
If you have a problem with him partying, cool. I think you're blowing the videos way out of proportion but that's a fine discussion.

But to claim it's worse because the guy voluntarily went to a rehab program is where you're making zero sense. I take issue with that. If you think he parties too much, you can leave it at that.
He went to rehab to "show" he was being a good soldier, and almost immediately went and let himself become caught on tape drinking at basically a frat party. Who gives a shit about the rehab? But he did it. And then he decided to be all party animal again right after. Real fucking smart.

Cotton

Staff member
He got out of rehab back in April...
And? Are you seriously going to drop semantics? Let's use basically. He went basically from rehab to a frat party.

Cotton

Staff member
I guess I've never read the rule that says if you go to rehab you can never drink again.
An NFL QB trying to save his career versus a random person is wildly different animals. If you can't realize that, not sure what I can tell you.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
An NFL QB trying to save his career versus a random person is wildly different animals. If you can't realize that, not sure what I can tell you.
If the dude was racking up DUIs, I'd care. He's not. Going into rehab is his business, so is drinking safely in a bar on a bye week. This TMZ mentality where people think they need to follow everyone around with camera phones and mind everyone else's business is retarded.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
And? Are you seriously going to drop semantics? Let's use basically. He went basically from rehab to a frat party.
If you think half a year is basically then sure :lol

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
If the dude was racking up DUIs, I'd care. He's not. Going into rehab is his business, so is drinking safely in a bar on a bye week. This TMZ mentality where people think they need to follow everyone around with camera phones and mind everyone else's business is retarded.
It just shows poor judgement on his part. Not something I want in my QB and leader of my football team. Sure nothing happened here but it just takes a little bit to get the ball rolling again.

If he didn't have a problem with alcohol it would be one thing. Evidently he knows he does so yeah I question the judgement of going to a frat party. Nothing bad ever happens there at all.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing bad ever happens there at all.
But what bad has happened? Evidently no one has a problem with a football player going out on a bye weekend. They all do that. I think the concern with Johnny is if he is going out on weekends when he has a game. Which I think there may have been concerns Johnny was doing that when he was a backup as a rookie.

I get the concerns. But the fact that a young man was able to at least check himself and go to rehab to get better skills to handle this sort of stuff is nothing but a positive. To view it any other way is totally counter productive.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
But what bad has happened? Evidently no one has a problem with a football player going out on a bye weekend. They all do that. I think the concern with Johnny is if he is going out on weekends when he has a game. Which I think there may have been concerns Johnny was doing that when he was a backup as a rookie.

I get the concerns. But the fact that a young man was able to at least check himself and go to rehab to get better skills to handle this sort of stuff is nothing but a positive. To view it any other way is totally counter productive.
It only matters if he follows through with it. Going to a frat party with an admitted alcohol problem is not the smartest thing to do. It just lends itself to more problems and maybe those haven't surfaced yet. Maybe they won't but you have to give yourself every advantage. Just shows poor judgement on his part. Just has to make you wonder if he is sincere in the rehab.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It only matters if he follows through with it. Going to a frat party with an admitted alcohol problem is not the smartest thing to do. It just lends itself to more problems and maybe those haven't surfaced yet. Maybe they won't but you have to give yourself every advantage. Just shows poor judgement on his part. Just has to make you wonder if he is sincere in the rehab.
Or maybe he didn't need rehab to help himself stop drinking for the rest of his life. Maybe he needed it to learn better life skills in dealing with the pressures of the NFL. It's not an all or nothing proposition. Sometimes a person just needs help scaling back, which by all reports Johnny has done.

Cotton

Staff member
Or maybe he didn't need rehab to help himself stop drinking for the rest of his life. Maybe he needed it to learn better life skills in dealing with the pressures of the NFL. It's not an all or nothing proposition. Sometimes a person just needs help scaling back, which by all reports Johnny has done.
I have heard no reports of him scaling back. Granted the only thing that would make the front page is him going out, so...

Regardless, his talent isn't even close enough to warrant taking the risk on his instability. I know we have been mainly focused on this instance in this debate, but it always boils down to a player's talent and whether they are worth the headache, and he is not even close, IMO.

Top Bottom