Eagles Stuff...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
EAGLES NOTES: Healthy Carson Wentz about to make 16th start
By Ed Kracz, staff writer 30 min ago

PHILADELPHIA —*As Carson Wentz prepares to make his 16th and final start of the season, and becoming the first Eagles quarterback to do that since Donovan McNabb in 2008, it is interesting to see exactly how many signal-callers have achieved that feat this season.

The answer will be after Sunday’s games, just 14, and that is assuming that Dallas’ Dak Prescott will start Sunday’s game against the Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field.

The only division in football to have all four of its quarterbacks make all 15 starts at this point is the NFC East.

Of the 14 who will have done it, every playoff team in the NFC will have had their quarterback start all 16 games, so there is a correlation to good health behind center and playing into January.

“The durability was really never an issue with me,” said Eagles head coach Doug Pederson, of Wentz. “I knew we had to address some of the sliding and getting out of bounds and protecting himself a little bit early on, and he's done that. So we kind of got that fixed.”

Added Wentz: “I’ll tell you I’m very fortunate. I think, first of all, the guys up front doing a great job protecting me. Ultimately, I’m very fortunate. This is a fluky game, things happen. So I just have to thank the Lord for that, for sure.”

New friend

Wentz and baseball star Mike Trout spent the holiday weekend hunting together. Trout, who grew up in New Jersey and is an Eagles season ticket holder, and Wentz hunted waterfowl, ducks and geese.

“We just hung out and went hunting,” said Wentz. “Nothing real crazy. He’s a great guy, a great guy and it’s been cool getting to know him.”

Quotable

“I hear they’re not the nicest. I don’t want to talk about Philly fans. I don’t want them to have a hit on my head when I go out there.” —*Cowboys running back Ezekiel about playing a game in Philly for the first time in career.

Help wanted

Teams around the National Football League have already begun hanging out vacancy signs.

Buffalo canned its head coach, Rex Ryan, on Tuesday. Last week, Jacksonville got rid of Gus Bradley. Jeff Fisher was shown the door weeks ago in Los Angeles. More will follow, perhaps in Cincinnati and San Diego to name two.

Coordinators are always popular hires. Would any team take a chance on one of the three Eagles coordinators —*Jim Schwartz, Frank Reich, and/or Dave Fipp.
Hiring from a team that will finish with a losing record is a tough sell to an already downtrodden organization, so that might work against the possibility.

Pederson was asked about his coordinators prior to Wednesday’s practice as the Birds prepare to play their season finale Sunday against the Dallas Cowboys at Lincoln Financial Field. Pederson, of course, had been an offensive coordinator in Kansas City for three years prior to being tapped as the Eagles’ top man last January.

“I think that, obviously, they would be great candidates,” he said. “In Schwartz’s case, he’s been there before. He understands it. In Frank’s case, he’s had interviews in the past, so he’s kind of been through the process. Because I hand-picked all these guys, you hate to see any of them go because I feel we have something special going and would love to keep them all here if I could.”

Schwartz, the Birds’ defensive coordinator, was the head coach in Detroit for five years before being sacked following the 2013 season. He was once the defensive coordinator in Buffalo, so perhaps the Bills may show some interest.

Reich, the team’s offensive coordinator, has done a good job working with rookie quarterback Carson Wentz and Jacksonville’s quarterback, Blake Bortles, struggled this season, so maybe the Jaguars at least take a look at a quarterback guru such as Reich.

Then there’s Fipp. Not since John Harbaugh was hired by the Baltimore Ravens in 2008 has a special teams coordinator become a head coach.

Fipp’s units, however, have been consistently ranked in the top five since Chip Kelly hired him in 2013. Special teams coordinators have the benefit of getting to know a team’s entire roster since special teams blend offensive and defensive players.

“I think he’s very capable,” said Pederson. “Next to myself, he’s the next coach on the staff that is really in front of the team, making and coordinating meetings and things of that nature. I think that he’d be right for a job, for an opportunity.”

Reading between the lines

Pederson all but admitted that he has no control over the roster.

How?

Well, he was asked Wednesday if running back Terrell Watson would be promoted from the practice squad to the 53-man since there is an opening after Ryan Mathews was placed on Injured Reserve and the team has only two active backs, he called it a no-brainer.

“I would like for it to be a running back,” said the coach. “And again, with Watson sitting right there, it would be a no-brainer for us. But again, we'll wait and see later in the week how things go.”

Injury update

Offensive lineman Allen Barbre (hamstring) and Jordan Matthews (ankle) did not practice Wednesday for precautionary reasons. Pederson said both should be able to play Sunday.

Limited in practice was linebacker Jordan Hicks (ankle).

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any word on Anthony Brown? I really like what he has done this season.

Cotton

Staff member
Any word on Anthony Brown? I really like what he has done this season.
Still being evaluated under the NFL concussion protocol. It's a real possibility he doesn't play this week. Fine by me, just get him healthy for the playoffs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still being evaluated under the NFL concussion protocol. It's a real possibility he doesn't play this week. Fine by me, just get him healthy for the playoffs.
Yeah, not really a big deal this week other then we would be really thin at corner for a game. That's part of the problem with letting all of these guys sit. Suddenly you don't have a backup at OT or corner if someone does get hurt.

Cotton

Staff member
The Cowboys will be shorthanded along the offensive and defensive lines at practice with Tyron Smith (knee, back), Ronald Leary (back), DeMarcus Lawrence (back), Cedric Thornton (ankle) and Terrell McClain (ankle) not practicing. Tyrone Crawford (shoulder) was on the field during open portion of practice to the media but could only be limited. Cornerback Anthony Brown (concussion) will go through some conditioning work but not practice. Linebacker Justin Durant (elbow) and cornerback Morris Claiborne (groin) are also not practicing. Wide receiver Terrance Williams was not at practice but it is not injury related.

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I would obviously rather beat the Iggles than not but I want to go into the playoffs healthy more. With a first round bye, get the guys we need then that are dinged up a chance to heal up some.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
This upcoming Eagles game would be a perfect game to tinker with the special teams unit. In particular, I would see what the return unit looks like minus Byron Jones.

I think it's too late in the season to start experimenting with returners but Jones is a guy who I wouldn't mind seeing removed from return unit. He does more harm than good out there.

It seems like every week the refs are calling 1 or 2 block in the back or holding penalties on #31.

Take him off the unit this week just to see how things work out. No harm in that, IMO.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would obviously rather beat the Iggles than not but I want to go into the playoffs healthy more. With a first round bye, get the guys we need then that are dinged up a chance to heal up some.
The only thing that makes me nervous about that is I hate having a bunch of guys starting in the playoffs who haven't played meaningful football in a month or more. It's the same reason I'm nervous about Claiborne running full speed but basically being held out until the playoffs. If it was just one or two guys it might not be a big deal but now it's half our D-line, top corner and such.

Cotton

Staff member
According to Adam Caplan, Sanchez will see the majority of the snaps on Sunday. Hopefully McFadden does, too.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The only thing that makes me nervous about that is I hate having a bunch of guys starting in the playoffs who haven't played meaningful football in a month or more. It's the same reason I'm nervous about Claiborne running full speed but basically being held out until the playoffs. If it was just one or two guys it might not be a big deal but now it's half our D-line, top corner and such.
No need to be nervous about that. It's an asset not having to play. That's why number 1 seeds are rewarded with byes. It also gives a team time to make adjustments and tinker with alignments.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Apparently the reason that Terrance Williams missed practice is due to the death of his grandmother.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No need to be nervous about that. It's an asset not having to play. That's why number 1 seeds are rewarded with byes. It also gives a team time to make adjustments and tinker with alignments.
Rest is good, too much rest is bad. I want to be totally healthy for the playoffs and that is certainly an advantage over our opponent. But with playoffs being a loss and you're done, there is no margin of error if the team comes out slow.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Rest is good, too much rest is bad. I want to be totally healthy for the playoffs and that is certainly an advantage over our opponent. But with playoffs being a loss and you're done, there is no margin of error if the team comes out slow.
Don't worry. We'll always have the bye win again.

Cotton

Staff member
The Cowboys' inactives for Sunday's game at Philadelphia will be easy to figure: DeMarcus Lawrence, Cedric Thornton, Tyrone Crawford, Terrell McClain, Justin Durant, Morris Claiborne and Tyron Smith have all been ruled out. Ronald Leary (back) is questionable as is Anthony Brown, who has yet to fully clear the concussion protocol. Guard Ryan Seymour has been called up from the practice squad. As Jason Garrett said it's all hands on deck.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
The Cowboys' inactives for Sunday's game at Philadelphia will be easy to figure: DeMarcus Lawrence, Cedric Thornton, Tyrone Crawford, Terrell McClain, Justin Durant, Morris Claiborne and Tyron Smith have all been ruled out. Ronald Leary (back) is questionable as is Anthony Brown, who has yet to fully clear the concussion protocol. Guard Ryan Seymour has been called up from the practice squad. As Jason Garrett said it's all hands on deck.

That is a ton of starters out. Hell, half of our starting defense is out this game. Stinks for the offensive line/rest of the defense as most of them will probably be in for 4 quarters

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That is a ton of starters out. Hell, half of our starting defense is out this game. Stinks for the offensive line/rest of the defense as most of them will probably be in for 4 quarters
Damien Wilson, Leon McFadden and Kavon Frazier should all see plenty of time in this game.

I don't want to see Sean Lee out there for much more than however long Prescott, Elliott, Bryant and so forth are out there, same goes for most of the starting secondary. I mean, we're kind of going to have to play some regular guys just due to the numbers but there shouldn't be any critical players out there playing 90% of the snaps.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
Damien Wilson, Leon McFadden and Kavon Frazier should all see plenty of time in this game.

I don't want to see Sean Lee out there for much more than however long Prescott, Elliott, Bryant and so forth are out there, same goes for most of the starting secondary. I mean, we're kind of going to have to play some regular guys just due to the numbers but there shouldn't be any critical players out there playing 90% of the snaps.
Excited to see Damien Wilson and Randy Gregory get as bunch of snaps. Also want to see Jack Crawford out there. If Randy Gregory can get into peak football shape by the playoffs, I think the Defensive line wont be any form of weakness. Could be perfect for a Super Bowl run

Top Bottom