Gosselin: Jason Garrett, staff let Cowboys down when they were needed most

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Most coaches get jobs because of who they know.

And yet you leave out the fact that he was a Superbowl winning DC and DB coach.

Let's just agree to disagree.
Coaches don't stay good based on their resume. That's why I'm not interested in Holmgren going to Super Bowls 10, 18 and 19 years ago. People lose their edge or their system gets outdated. It happens.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Coaches don't stay good based on their resume. That's why I'm not interested in Holmgren going to Super Bowls 10, 18 and 19 years ago. People lose their edge or their system gets outdated. It happens.
Nobody is advocating bringing Campo back, this was just pointing out his resume was much better as a coordinator than Garrett.

I don't really see him getting multiple OC jobs.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Nobody is advocating bringing Campo back, this was just pointing out his resume was much better as a coordinator than Garrett.

I don't really see him getting multiple OC jobs.
I don't think he even gets one OC job. Maybe he bullshits some college into taking him on as HC.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Maybe he bullshits some college into taking him on as HC.
I think that is a given if he doesn't get an NFL OC gig, and I wouldn't think he'll just walk into one of those. I think there are plenty of colleges that would be more than happy to have him as a HC though. Former NFL player/head coach, leader (you see those "Fight" tee shirts? #leadership), "smart" (hey, did you know that he went to Princeton?), etc. He would be an easy sell for a a college program and I think he would even get a shot at a relatively high-profile gig if one is available when the time comes.

I'm not suggesting that he would deserve it or that he would necessarily succeed, but I think there is no question he will have that opportunity if he wants it.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I think that is a given if he doesn't get an NFL OC gig, and I wouldn't think he'll just walk into one of those. I think there are plenty of colleges that would be more than happy to have him as a HC though. Former NFL player/head coach, leader (you see those "Fight" tee shirts? #leadership), "smart" (hey, did you know that he went to Princeton?), etc. He would be an easy sell for a a college program and I think he would even get a shot at a relatively high-profile gig if one is available when the time comes.

I'm not suggesting that he would deserve it or that he would necessarily succeed, but I think there is no question he will have that opportunity if he wants it.
I just can't believe a guy whose offense has been a laughing stock of predictability for his entire tenure will get a gig as an OC.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I just can't believe a guy whose offense has been a laughing stock of predictability for his entire tenure will get a gig as an OC.
I don't think he will. I think the college HC thing is much more realistic for him. I really do think there will be a lot of interest in him from colleges. He is exactly the kind of politician a lot of the universities are looking for to head up their programs. Combine that with his NFL experience–even if his HC career is considered a failure to that point–and I think he will be considered quite a catch for some schools. Not sure if that is a route he is looking to go or how much success he'll have but I think plenty of interest will be there from the other side.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I don't think he will. I think the college HC thing is much more realistic for him. I really do think there will be a lot of interest in him from colleges. He is exactly the kind of politician a lot of the universities are looking for to head up their programs. Combine that with his NFL experience–even if his HC career is considered a failure to that point–and I think he will be considered quite a catch for some schools. Not sure if that is a route he is looking to go or how much success he'll have but I think plenty of interest will be there from the other side.
He will be a weird, risky hire for a college though. No recruiting connections, no college coaching connections. I think he'd be a natural fit for a college with low built in expectations. Kansas, Iowa State, Vanderbilt, Indiana. That sort of school.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yeah the same way Zimmer was shitty DC here.

Campo was Superbowl winning DC and DB coach, he has always been a pretty good DC and DB coach and the stats back it up.
That's a fact. Some of the best secondary play came under his tutelage.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Not in his second stint. We couldn't buy turnovers even with huge pass rush pressure in 2008 and 2009.
There were slim pickings for personnel at that time as I recall. Coaches have varying degrees, of success depending on what they have to work with. Didn't you point out on another thread that Pete Carroll had different careers in the pros at different times?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
There were slim pickings for personnel at that time as I recall. Coaches have varying degrees, of success depending on what they have to work with. Didn't you point out on another thread that Pete Carroll had different careers in the pros at different times?
I've seen better done in the late 80s in Landry's defenses with UDFAs and people who were drafted in rounds that don't exist anymore. We had some high picks devoted to the secondary that got worse under Campo.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I've seen better done in the late 80s in Landry's defenses with UDFAs and people who were drafted in rounds that don't exist anymore. We had some high picks devoted to the secondary that got worse under Campo.
Doesn't make sense to hang the misses of high picks on Campo because a lot of high picks don't pan out. The current secondary has some examples of that.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Not in his second stint. We couldn't buy turnovers even with huge pass rush pressure in 2008 and 2009.
Turnovers are not the end-all when grading a secondary.

The top 3 defensive teams in 2009 averaged 15 int's between them with 2 having 14 and the other 17.

Dallas had 11 so I don't see how this makes Campo so much worse than the Baltimore and Jets DB coaches who both had 14 int's.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Turnovers are not the end-all when grading a secondary.

The top 3 defensive teams in 2009 averaged 15 int's between them with 2 having 14 and the other 17.

Dallas had 11 so I don't see how this makes Campo so much worse than the Baltimore and Jets DB coaches who both had 14 int's.
INTS are not the bigger deal in the turnovers.

We aren't causing fumbles and recovering them. Mainly because we are scared to death trying to minimize points for the offense.

Jiggyfly

Banned
INTS are not the bigger deal in the turnovers.

We aren't causing fumbles and recovering them. Mainly because we are scared to death trying to minimize points for the offense.
I agree but.

This was about Campo in his DB coaching days.:unsure

Jiggyfly

Banned
So you suddenly back down. You pathetic bitch.
WTF Dude?

What Booze was talking about had nothing to do with Campo.

I am not backing down from your dumbass rants about Campo.

You started posting today spoiling for a fight, I don't know if you were drinking or just on the rag but I hope you feel better after that blast.:lol

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
WTF Dude?

What Booze was talking about had nothing to do with Campo.

I am not backing down from your dumbass rants about Campo.

You started posting today spoiling for a fight, I don't know if you were drinking or just on the rag but I hope you feel better after that blast.:lol
:shrug

You seem to bring it out in people.

I think you should ban yourself.

Top Bottom