Another serious question for the pros here - medical related

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why did you leave out the personal injury attorneys screaming nonstop from their mansions for victims to call them and "get what they deserve"...
I don't do any personal injury work by why are they scum of the earth? Most personal injury attorney's by the way aren't sitting in mansions. They make a good living but then again so do most people who go to college for 7 years.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I didn't want to offend pep. :unsure
Pep's my boy... But I don't think he does that type of law. (By no means do I think all attorneys are bad guys.)

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If that's how you feel ,fine. If someone has a different view they are not a moron but that is always your approach. Any view that is different than yours is invalid and moronic. You have built a reputation espousing that jargon.
Good thing you don't have to worry about any of that since you don't believe it's irresponsible for someone to go ahead and file bankruptcy without exhausting their other options first.

And it's not every opinion that is different than mine which is moronic... just this one.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Pep's my boy... But I don't think he does that type of law. (By no means do I think all attorneys are bad guys.)
Yeah, I know. Just couldn't pass up an opportunity to give him shit.

peplaw06

Brand New Member
:flip

I did develop a more efficient form of ambulance chasing. I just sit at the hospitals. Seriously, why would anyone chase them?

Disclaimer: the above statement is a joke. I don't do personal injury law, like CLab said. I do the noble and totally moral area of divorce/family law.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
If I were faced with a pricey medical treatment/surgery I'd look to have it done out of country. I don't know all the ins and outs of it but as I'm sure you're all aware, citizens of the United States pay substantially more for the same medical treatment that citizens of other advanced countries pay.

For instance, instead of paying $100K for medical treatment and ruining yourself financially, I'd have the procedure performed in Europe for about a tenth of the cost. Even with the costs of hotel and plane tickets you still come out substantially cheaper having the procedure done in Europe as opposed to here in the US.

Jiggyfly

Banned
If I were faced with a pricey medical treatment/surgery I'd look to have it done out of country. I don't know all the ins and outs of it but as I'm sure you're all aware, citizens of the United States pay substantially more for the same medical treatment that citizens of other advanced countries pay.

For instance, instead of paying $100K for medical treatment and ruining yourself financially, I'd have the procedure performed in Europe for about a tenth of the cost. Even with the costs of hotel and plane tickets you still come out substantially cheaper having the procedure done in Europe as opposed to here in the US.
Would insurance cover that?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
:flip

I did develop a more efficient form of ambulance chasing. I just sit at the hospitals. Seriously, why would anyone chase them?

Disclaimer: the above statement is a joke. I don't do personal injury law, like CLab said. I do the noble and totally moral area of divorce/family law.
:buddy

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Good thing you don't have to worry about any of that since you don't believe it's irresponsible for someone to go ahead and file bankruptcy without exhausting their other options first.

And it's not every opinion that is different than mine which is moronic... just this one.
And your opinions about defensive backs, and coaches, and Derrick Rose.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Better include booze in there as well. It was him that actually said "last resort". I guess we are both morons huh?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
And your opinions about defensive backs, and coaches, and Derrick Rose.
Derrick Rose? You must be thinking about Simp. True about DBs though.... people who don't realize that the DL is more important are morons.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Better include booze in there as well. It was him that actually said "last resort". I guess we are both morons huh?
You aren't.... you didn't say anything about personal responsibility, remember?

Carl

RIP Brother
Took me a while to work this out. One of my stays in the hospital covered 2 nights. Hospital bill was $70k, insurance covered $61K. I had a bill for $9k. I called and said I couldn't pay. They don't care. The Insurance company has already paid $61k for services that probably cost about $20k. They will threaten you and shout, but at the end of the day, they just re-route things back through the Insurance company one last time to see if they can get anything else from them.

My overall problems are not yet solved, but I am in a better place knowing what I know now. We are just small fish.

Carl

RIP Brother
Hospitals can pretty much go fuck themselves. Seton Southwest in Austin for damn sure can. Several years ago I took my daughter to the emergency room. Turned out she just had a particularly nasty stomach virus. We spent a few hours in an exam room, the doctor came in a couple times and spent a total of 10 minutes at most with her. Besides some ibuprofen she received a bag of fluids. The bill: $5200. And that was just from the hospital. The doctor sent a separate bill for nearly $400. At that time my wife was only employed part-time and we had shitty insurance for her and the girls (my insurance was around $150/mo for me but would have been > $900/mo to add dependents so we had an independent policy to cover wife/kids).

I had face to face meetings (eventually, after a lot of pushing) and essentially told them no, I will not accept your payment plan because there is not a chance in hell I am paying that kind of fee for the services we received. A f'ing IV was really all she got. I told them in what was really kind of an idle threat that we could negotiate or they can let it go to collections and good luck (I wasn't going to do that as I didn't want to damage my credit).

In the end I got them down to $1800 (plus whatever we owed the doctor), which was still pretty outrageous, IMO. They were prickly about it pretty much all the way through. The fee just to walk to the goddamn door to the emergency room there was around $2500. They gouge the living shit out of people and then wonder why so many people default on their payments. It is out of control and it is an increasingly growing problem.
I may have replied to this before, if so apologies. My GP, my hospital, every Dr I saw while I was in hospital was covered under my over-priced Insurance Plan ($495 a month - yes everything is more expensive in CA) other than the ER Dr, who had decided to opt out but didn't tell me. I have a bill from him for $1,600. I don't remember ever meeting him; and if I did, he may have asked me do you have any allergies. That's it. Out of principle I am not paying that particular bill.

Last edited:
Top Bottom