Week 15 Chatter Thread | Dallas Cowboys v. Buffalo Bills | 12/26/2015

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I'm not really that concerned whether we pick 4th, 6th, 8th or whatever. I won't be rooting for us to lose but I also won't be enthused with a win at all, I'll just passively watch and see what happens.

Sure, I want to pick higher than not, but if we don't go QB taking a guy like Smith or Jack at 7 instead of 3 or 4 would take some of the sting out of it. I also think Wentz may rocket up draft boards depending on the Senior Bowl so we could still be in a position to go QB at the back end of the top 10.

What we would really be missing out on at 8 as opposed to 4 would be the trade down potential (which is overexaggerated honestly, how many teams have been able to reap a significant bounty via a trade down in the top 5-10 in the past 10 years?) and the fact that we would more or less be guaranteed a shot at a QB, although I don't think it's a 100% given lock that both guys are gone in the top 5, one of them could be there at 6 or 7, were we to drop that far.
It comes down to QB and then rounds 2-4. If the QB's are worth it they'll go early. At 4 we would have a shot at the 2nd QB unless someone like SF leap frogs us. If we draft 7 or 8 and a QB is still on the board getting past SF with no one trading up for one, then odds whichever QB it is that drops didn't have a good showing in the combine and workouts and might not be a good choice for us at #8. I would feel better though about Smith or Jack or even Treadway at 8 than in the top 5.

It may not be a huge deal so I'm not going to actively root for us to lose, but won't mind if we do. But I'd hate to drop to 8 and then have both Lynch and Goff pan out and we missed out due to a meaningless finale win.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
McCarron has given me the middle finger in this game.

I got nothing in response.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Also he wasn't forced to coordinate a 3-4 defense with 4-3 personnel.

It's not like his defenses were anything other than Mike Zimmer defenses either, he hasn't had an all-timer D on his resume, it's just way more effective when you can run your scheme, and you aren't trying to keep a team afloat with Quincy Carter on the other side of the ball. Rod Marinelli has pretty much had half of the Zimmer experience this year.
He actually lead the league in sacks in Cincinnati. That's a long way from running an "occupy and engage" line scheme combined with conga-line blitzes. No way that was a Zimmer defense. When he was the DC in Atlanta his anti-pass rush doctrine was so stupid John Abraham nearly quit the team (Zimmer actually told him to only rush outside and not use any inside moves because he was afraid of losing contain).

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Only thing surprising about that is how they managed 7 conversions with Kellen, Butler, T Williams and Beasley.

Top Bottom