Kellen Moore will start this Sunday

p1_

DCC 4Life
Jason Garrett names Kellen Moore starting Cowboys QB for Week 16

Kellen Moore will start for the Dallas Cowboys this Sunday.

The backup quarterback gets the nod for the Week 16 matchup against the Buffalo Bills, head coach Jason Garrett confirmed Monday morning on 105.3 The Fan.

"Kellen Moore is going to start this week for us," Garrett said. He then explained his reasoning. "Just the evaluation of how he played in the ballgame and where we want to be. Right now offensively we felt like he did some good things for us. Unfortunately the turnovers that he made weren't good, but hopefully he'll learn from those experiences and give us a good chance to move the ball and score points for us."

The 4-10 Cowboys will now get an evaluation of Moore as their starter after a week of practice with the first team. Moore replaced quarterback Matt Cassel in the second quarter of Week 15. The former Boise State standout completed 15-of-25 passes for 158 yards and one touchdown with three interceptions against a stingy Jets defense.

Moore's debut was much like Tony Romo's first official game replacing Drew Bledsoe back in 2006. Romo completed 14-of-25 passes for 227 yards and two touchdowns with three interceptions in a home loss to the Giants. Romo then went on to lead the Cowboys to the playoffs that year. Unfortunately for Moore and the 2015 Cowboys, there will be no postseason next month.

"Certainly there were good things, there were bad things," Moore said after Saturday's game. "I felt good. I felt like the communication was pretty good."

With two games left on the season, the Cowboys get a chance to see Moore under center at least two more times. The 26-year old from Prosser, WA should give the Cowboys something to think about for the future. He's a proven winner, having gone 50-3 for a major college football program. He's got some moxie to him and he just might be an equal option to selecting a mid-round quarterback in the 2016 NFL Draft.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I see Garrett's ivy league education shining through here. Brilliant conclusion and timing.

:art

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I hope he comes out and throws 4 INTs and we get smoked. I want Jerry fully focused on how our QB situation sucks, right along with how our coach can't win without Romo. Also, I don't want anybody in this FO fooled into thinking Moore might be some kind of answer.

Then, there's this...

Moore's debut was much like Tony Romo's first official game replacing Drew Bledsoe back in 2006. Romo completed 14-of-25 passes for 227 yards and two touchdowns with three interceptions in a home loss to the Giants.
This retarded slant already has people thinking that Moore is somehow the second coming of Romo. Has there ever been a more ignorant thought process?

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I hope he comes out and throws 4 INTs and we get smoked. I want Jerry fully focused on how our QB situation sucks, right along with how our coach can't win without Romo. Also, I don't want anybody in this FO fooled into thinking Moore might be some kind of answer.

Then, there's this...

This retarded slant already has people thinking that Moore is somehow the second coming of Romo. Has there ever been a more ignorant thought process?
I didn't read it as the writer thinking he was Romo like potential. I thought he was just comparing the starts of each.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

That same thing stood out to me too. It wasn't much like Romo's debut at all, because of the difference in yardage. They threw the ball the same number of attempts, but Romo gained about 70 more yards which means his yards per attempt was much higher. That's a significant difference, because it means Romo was getting the ball a lot further downfield.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You could see Romo's improvisational talent from the first time he stepped on the field against the Giants. Moore made a few decent plays, and definitely looked much more spry in the pocket compared to Cassel, but you can also see that he has little to no real arm strength.

I think he's a fine 3rd QB who could potentially develop into a decent 2, but comparing him to Romo is a joke.

Genghis Khan

Some quick calculations :

Moore: 6.32ypa

Romo's debut: 9.08ypa

That's not even in the same universe.

Genghis Khan

You could see Romo's improvisational talent from the first time he stepped on the field against the Giants. Moore made a few decent plays, and definitely looked much more spry in the pocket compared to Cassel, but you can also see that he has little to no real arm strength.

I think he's a fine 3rd QB who could potentially develop into a decent 2, but comparing him to Romo is a joke.
Yep.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Who was the last left-handed QB to succeed? Serious question. Steve Young?

Genghis Khan

Depends on what you mean by succeed, but you could argue Michael Vick and/or Mark Brunnell.

Also, Tebow made the playoffs once. :tippytoe

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
There hasn't been many. Off the top of my head Steve Young, Boomer Esiason, Michael Vick, Jim Zorn, Kenny Stabler. I'm sure there have been more, but those are the only ones I can think of that played more than a couple seasons and had any kind of success.

Edit: Forgot about Mark Brunell.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
There hasn't been many. Off the top of my head Steve Young, Boomer Esiason, Michael Vick, Jim Zorn, Kenny Stabler. I'm sure there have been more, but those are the only ones I can think of that played more than a couple seasons and had any kind of success.

Edit: Forgot about Mark Brunell.
You figure there is a reason behind that? OLs used to a righty? Ball coming out of a lefties hand makes it more difficult to catch? I don't know the answer but starting thinking about it and comparatively lefties being successful at the position is rare.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Right Tackles now having to be the blindside protector. I guess you could say they are harder to find. Hard to say the ball spinning is a lengthy problem. Maybe the pass catchers have to practice more to get used to it at first. Maybe the original coaches don't want to deal with the changes so they steer them to a different position when first starting.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
You figure there is a reason behind that? OLs used to a righty? Ball coming out of a lefties hand makes it more difficult to catch? I don't know the answer but starting thinking about it and comparatively lefties being successful at the position is rare.
Not sure, really. Probably only because of the fact there just aren't many left handed people compared to right handed people. And there probably is something to be said for blocking for a lefty. Outside of the obvious blind side coming from the right side of the line. The whole line has to adjust some, not just needing your best pass blocker at RT instead of LT.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
There are far less left than right handed people, and those that have a live arm have more to gain from being a lefty in baseball, so I guess they go that way which further diminishes the talent pool from which to pick.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Nothing Kellen does the next two weeks should dictate what we do with the QB position. He may end up being an adequate backup but he is very limited in both size and arm strength. There's no way he'll be a future starter unless we're faced with a dire situation like we are now.

I think Garrett sees much of himself in Kellen. So we may have found our future HC, but not QB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing Kellen does the next two weeks should dictate what we do with the QB position. He may end up being an adequate backup but he is very limited in both size and arm strength. There's no way he'll be a future starter unless we're faced with a dire situation like we are now.

I think Garrett sees much of himself in Kellen. So we may have found our future HC, but not QB.
Size doesn't bother me at all but he has a very weak arm. You can get by with that in short stints but once a defense figures out you can't make certain throws it gives them a serious advantage. I've seen enough to bring Moore to camp but it shouldn't change our plans to draft or sign someone.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Size doesn't bother me at all but he has a very weak arm. You can get by with that in short stints but once a defense figures out you can't make certain throws it gives them a serious advantage. I've seen enough to bring Moore to camp but it shouldn't change our plans to draft or sign someone.
I agree. Height is a concern as far as seeing downfield and not having balls batted at the line. Overall size also could be a durability concern. But the main problem is the arm strength. May be OK to develop but I'd rather have a more imposing figure with arm strength to develop than someone with limited up side.

Top Bottom