Must See Movies

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
About Star Wars...it was okay.

But jeez louise, could Abrams have taken more plot devices from A New Hope? My God, he basically told the same story over again.

D

Deuce

About Star Wars...it was okay.

But jeez louise, could Abrams have taken more plot devices from A New Hope? My God, he basically told the same story over again.
I thought it was pretty good...

but ya, too many parallels from the original trilogy. Even Luke has an Obi-Won beard.

But overall, I liked it a lot. Even a few lol moments which the previous ones rarely if ever had.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I thought it was very good.
I think even a hardcore purist would have a hard time saying it was bad.

Like I said before though, Abrams went back to the formula and basically did a remake. Desert planet with basically an orphan as main character, check. Escape to desert planet, check. Hunt for droid with secret plans on desert planet check. Escape from desert planet, check. Cantina, check. Blow up Death Star or Death Star equivalent, check. My son cracked me up when he said Abrams ripped Maz Kanata off of Edna Mode from The Incredibles, and in a way, I did expect her to say "NO CAPES!"

dallen

Senior Tech
Abrams and Disney were definitely laying up. They knew they couldn't make another Phantom Menace. I enjoyed it though. The new characters are great even if the plot didn't contain anything new. Definitely looking forward to the next one.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Abrams and Disney were definitely laying up. They knew they couldn't make another Phantom Menace. I enjoyed it though. The new characters are great even if the plot didn't contain anything new. Definitely looking forward to the next one.
It definitely worked on the younger kids who aren't all that familiar with the franchise. My 10-year old daughter ate it up, which was cool. A lot of the little kids that were there were excited.

The funniest part were the grown men hooting and hollering when the Millenium Falcon showed up and when of course Han and Chewie appeared.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It definitely worked on the younger kids who aren't all that familiar with the franchise. My 10-year old daughter ate it up, which was cool. A lot of the little kids that were there were excited.

The funniest part were the grown men hooting and hollering when the Millenium Falcon showed up and when of course Han and Chewie appeared.
Hmmmm. Who knew that kids would perceive things differently than grownups.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I think this one was more of a Homage to the original than anything, making sure the fanboys are not offended that Disney and the guy who directed Star Trek messed up their beloved Universe.
That being said, Abrams is a kickass storyteller and I agree it's in the top 3 of the Saga.

D

Deuce

Being top 3 shouldn't have been that tall of a task. The 3 prequels are hated by most so much, that really only leaves ROTJ as the one to beat. I think ROTJ is great, but it didn't have the same edge that the previous had.

That said, I thought the newest was pretty great even though it's obvious plagiarism in some aspects.

junk

Not So New Member
Star Wars Spoilers
Thought it was a pretty good movie. Definitely fun. Some of the plot devices were a little weak.

Random thoughts:
1. Who are Rey's parents?
2. I think Oscar Isaac is going to be a big star. Probably Daisy Ridley too. Overall, the casting was great.
3. RIP Han. Had to do it, I guess. Figured it might happen, but I was still thinking "No way" when it was about to happen.
4. Definitely seemed like a retelling of a New Hope. Hopefully, just a device to pass the torch.
5. The bad guys, especially Phasma, seemed particularly inept.
6. Kylo Ren seemed like a pretty immature villian. Hopefully, we see him mature during his training with Snoke. Just not sure Driver makes a great villian.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Star Wars Spoilers
Thought it was a pretty good movie. Definitely fun. Some of the plot devices were a little weak.

Random thoughts:
1. Who are Rey's parents?
2. I think Oscar Isaac is going to be a big star. Probably Daisy Ridley too. Overall, the casting was great.
3. RIP Han. Had to do it, I guess. Figured it might happen, but I was still thinking "No way" when it was about to happen.
4. Definitely seemed like a retelling of a New Hope. Hopefully, just a device to pass the torch.
5. The bad guys, especially Phasma, seemed particularly inept.
6. Kylo Ren seemed like a pretty immature villian. Hopefully, we see him mature during his training with Snoke. Just not sure Driver makes a great villian.
1. Luke Skywalker and ?. Was reading an article today and someone theorized she is Luke and Leia's kid. :lol Misprint, but still funny.
2. Ridley, Driver, and Isaac are fantastic actors. Boyega is pretty good as well. The scene where Ren is trying to extract info from her with the Force was one of my faves of the entire movie. Makes you wonder WTF Lucas was thinking casting a scrub like Christensen as the most important character in Star Wars. Not sure if a great actor would have been any better. His insipid dialogue and shitty directing made Portman and SLJ look like they couldn't act either.
3. My asshole nephews spoiled this for me.
4. Definite torch passer. They went back to a familiar formula that they knew would probably work. Couldn't take many chances to screw the first one up when you just made George Lucas a multi billionaire.
5. Definitely expected more from Phasma.
6. Ren has potential and will be reviled forever for killing his dad.

D

Deuce

They are putting together a 3rd Bill and Ted's movie. Some will say feh, but I'm game.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So, we are going to watch Star Wars tomorrow and wanted to watch the 4-6, or at least ESB and ROTJ before we go. Anyone know a decent site to watch them for free? We found them in On Demand but they were 20 bucks each.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
So, we are going to watch Star Wars tomorrow and wanted to watch the 4-6, or at least ESB and ROTJ before we go. Anyone know a decent site to watch them for free? We found them in On Demand but they were 20 bucks each.

Drive down here.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Drive down here.
Yeah, I already thought how nice it would be to be able to teleport your box set up here.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Marvel Comics is pretty much the only thing making good movies from my generation's misguided nostalgia.

Top Bottom