Archer: Cowboys' Jason Garrett - 'We believe in Matt Cassel'

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys' Jason Garrett: 'We believe in Matt Cassel'

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- Is it time for the Dallas Cowboys to look at Kellen Moore?

Coach Jason Garrett was asked the question after Sunday’s 28-7 loss to the Green Bay Packers and he did not mention Moore by name in his answer.

“We believe in Matt Cassel,” Garrett said. “We believe he can win games for us. We will evaluate the tape before we talk about anything regarding personnel. Matt battles. He competes. Unfortunately we didn’t do enough offensively to win this ballgame.”

Cassel has a 1-5 record as Tony Romo’s replacement. The Cowboys have scored touchdowns on eight of his 68 drives over seven games. Against the Packers, he completed 13 of 29 passes for 114 yards and was intercepted once.

The Cowboys have scored one or zero offensive touchdowns in four of his six starts. The touchdown drive against the Packers came on four runs for 80 yards. He did not complete a pass longer than 19 yards in the game.

For the season, Cassel has five touchdown passes and six interceptions. His sixth kept the Cowboys out of the end zone on the first drive of the game when his throw deflected off Dez Bryant's hands into Sam Shields' hands.

“You know what, I can’t really critique the whole thing and say what went wrong,” Cassel said. “I know there are a number of things. We’ll evaluate the film and watch it and get corrections. We’ve got a short week coming up this week against the Jets and we’ve got to move forward.”

The Cowboys host the Jets on Saturday at AT&T Stadium with one fewer day of practice.

The last time the Cowboys started four quarterbacks in a season was 2001 when Quincy Carter, Anthony Wright, Ryan Leaf and Clint Stoerner all got a look.

Owner and general manager Jerry Jones was asked if it’s time to see Moore.

“I don’t know about that,” Jones said. “That’s a big part of more work that we need to do and I realize when I say that time is wasting if he’s going to play some this year. We’ve got to make an immediate decision. It’s not a spring decision. From the standpoint of tonight, I don’t put this directly and shouldn’t and wouldn’t put it on Cassel. We had a good opportunity to start this game off and get a leg up, get some momentum going with that initial run and we didn’t do it and now that’s us, though. That’s this team. That’s not injury there. That’s having the ball first-and-goal and when you don’t get that done, there’s no injury to blame that on.”

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
:roboclap

Cotton

Staff member
In Jerry Jones Era, Cowboys QB Matt Cassel's performance Sunday was historically bad

No matter the method used to appraise it, there would be the same conclusion: Matt Cassel's performance Sunday in the Cowboys' 28-7 loss to Green Bay was bad.

The anecdotal and hard evidence matched up. Cassel looked inaccurate, limited and incapable of delivering the ball downfield. All of this was true. Cassel's awful 41.5 passer rating summed up this wretched display of quarterbacking. It was the 29th-worst mark by a Cowboys' player since Jerry Jones bought the team in 1989. His 44.8 completion percentage? The lowest by a Cowboys quarterback since a 2013 blowout loss to New Orleans. What about Cassel's 3.93 yards per attempt? Only 14 times in the last 26 years has a Cowboys quarterback produced an inferior average.

Amazingly enough, one of those instances occurred earlier this year, when -- you guessed it-- Cassel accomplished that dubious feat against Seattle.

On the list of the 16 worst yards-per-attempt game averages in the Jerry Jones Era, Hall of Famer Troy Aikman's name appears five times. But so too does Anthony Wright's, Quincy Carter's, Brad Johnson's, Drew Bledsoe's, Babe Laufenberg's, and yes, even current Cowboys coach Jason Garrett's. Having nightmarish flashbacks yet?

Cassel's performance Sunday may have induced them already. It was in a word -- shall we say -- Campoesque.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
He was horrible. I can't believe how terrible this guy is. Looks like an undrafted FA, like he's scared to throw the ball.

And then he has to load up and heave the ball to throw a 20-yard pass.

Please tell me there's no chance of this guy being the backup next year. They can't possibly do that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He was horrible. I can't believe how terrible this guy is. Looks like an undrafted FA, like he's scared to throw the ball.

And then he has to load up and heave the ball to throw a 20-yard pass.

Please tell me there's no chance of this guy being the backup next year. They can't possibly do that.
Yeah it's just really sad. A combination of a horrific QB and a coaching staff that has no idea how to run a limited offense to succeed with a bad QB.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Garrett would do well to follow Jones lead on assessing Cassel. If he tries to sell Cassel as being a competent pro QB it will be in conflict with the bosses position. That could create a riff a bring about a premature job foreclosure.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
“We believe in Matt Cassel,” Garrett said. “We believe he can win games for us. We will evaluate the tape before we talk about anything regarding personnel. Matt battles. He competes. Unfortunately we didn’t do enough offensively to win this ballgame.”
And that is exactly why you continue to be a loser and we can't win shit without Romo bailing out your piss poor playcalling.

GFY Garrett.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
His arrogant refusal to play the young guy because he actually still thinks they have a chance is exactly why I want his stupid ass gone. They actually seem to believe that given the slimmest possibility of getting into the playoffs that Romo could be back and perform to a level the playoffs require to succeed. This, along with the fact the genius offensive guy's offense is pure shit are the reasons he needs to run off and hide.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
His arrogant refusal to play the young guy because he actually still thinks they have a chance is exactly why I want his stupid ass gone. They actually seem to believe that given the slimmest possibility of getting into the playoffs that Romo could be back and perform to a level the playoffs require to succeed. This, along with the fact the genius offensive guy's offense is pure shit are the reasons he needs to run off and hide.
He is ignoring the fact that Cassel has already proven he cannot get this team to a playoff position. Romo s abilities are moot.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Remember when people thought we should play Henson instead of Vinny but Parcells refused. This call for Moore is just as dumb.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Remember when people thought we should play Henson instead of Vinny but Parcells refused. This call for Moore is just as dumb.
Only that Cassel sucks harder than Vinny ever did.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why? Does playing Cassell get us a better end result? I agree that Moore is probably a Henson like turd but you might as well find that out now. No one here is expecting Moore to be any sort of a franchise fixer that I know of.

dallen

Senior Tech
I don't think any one wants Moore to play because they think he is good. We want him to play because more than likely he sucks, but if he doesn't prove it on the field he is likely to be brought back next season

dallen

Senior Tech

Genghis just called Jimmy dumb. Get him! :viking

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yeah, I suspect Moore is too small and noodle-armed to play at all. Linehan may have just liked him as an emergency option only. He's probably smart enough to know the offense but not physically talented enough to be any good at this level.

Then again, as bad as Cassel is, if Moore is worse than that he shouldn't be on your roster at all.

Cotton

Staff member

Genghis just called Jimmy dumb. Get him! :viking
We need a pitchfork smiley. Something like
or

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, I suspect Moore is too small and noodle-armed to play at all. Linehan may have just liked him as an emergency option only. He's probably smart enough to know the offense but not physically talented enough to be any good at this level.

Then again, as bad as Cassel is, if Moore is worse than that he shouldn't be on your roster at all.
And, this is what we need to find out.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Man if you want to talk noodle arm, look at Cassell. If Moore just has a little vision he may be an upgrade.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I'm just saying that as disturbing as it sounds, it may be obvious from practice that Moore is even worse than Cassel. Maybe they think there just isn't anyone any better on the street at this point.

Top Bottom