How Dak Prescott and the Dallas offense can get back on track

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Could someone who has an Insider account post the rest of this?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/18287950/how-dak-prescott-dallas-cowboys-offense-get-back-track-nfl-2016

How Dak Prescott and the Dallas offense can get back on track

Matt Bowen
ESPN Staff Writer

During Weeks 1-13, Dallas Cowboys rookie quarterback Dak Prescott posted a Total QBR of 85.0, the best mark in the NFL. But that plummeted to 22.1 against the New York Giants on Sunday night in a Week 14 loss, as he completed only 17 of 35 passes for 167 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions.

Was the rookie quarterback exposed in a way that will continue to be an issue, or can the Cowboys make some corrections and adjust the offensive call sheet to facilitate more production? Let's discuss three ways Prescott and the Cowboys can learn from the tape over the past two weeks to improve the offensive efficiency in Dallas.

Avoid locking in on Bryant

Since Dez Bryant returned in Week 8, he has seen 57 targets in the passing game, and he has produced 27 receptions for 494 yards (18.30 yards per catch) and four touchdowns. And I understand why Prescott would want to get the ball out to Bryant. He's a true No. 1 with the speed, size and matchup ability to win inside and outside of the numbers.

Plus, in my opinion, Bryant is also the league's most dynamic weapon in the red zone. Too physical for defensive backs at the point of attack.

But given Bryant's 47.4 percent catch rate since Week 8 and his average air yard per target of 15.39, the Cowboys' hyperefficient passing game that we saw earlier in the season has dropped off a bit with Prescott locking in on his No. 1. This showed up multiple times on the tape versus the Giants when Prescott had options open on much higher-percentage routes.

Take a look at this example:

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
How about trying deep pass plays to other players than just Dez? We just dink and dunk and never try anything sophisticated, and teams are adjusting to our very vanilla scheme.

J

Jim Dandy

Oh my! We lost a game and now we are 11-2. The sky is falling!
LOL. Let's chill folks. We continue to ride high with Dak. Get onboard and enjoy the ride. No need to whine at this point.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
How about just throwing it to the most open guy instead of worrying about an overpaid asshole and his stats.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree, Dak just needs to relax and mix it up a bit. He will be fine.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
How about trying deep pass plays to other players than just Dez? We just dink and dunk and never try anything sophisticated, and teams are adjusting to our very vanilla scheme.
This is very important. Offenses need to develop their third and fourth weapons late into the year.

I think our ability to win using largely the same approach made is a bit complacent.

This is the NFL and you will get out-schemed sooner or later so you have to keep growing.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
How about just throwing it to the most open guy instead of worrying about an overpaid asshole and his stats.
He had great games doing just that.

Not certain he has been given a throw it to Bryant edict, but something just seems off.

Top Bottom