Do you bring Hardy back?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'll say this, if we don't re-sign Hardy we should have plenty of cap space to make an impact signing or two, along with a couple of mid-tier signings. I don't want to hear about how you overpay at the beginning of free agency and how we want to wait 3 weeks so that we can sign Andrew Gachkar and Jasper Brinkley. We will have space, we don't have any of our own players in line for big deals this offseason or next if we let Hardy walk and if we want to make a run at it while Romo is still here it's time to go all-in.

Sure, going all-out in free agency doesn't always work, but if you are smart and pragmatic about the way you go about it, they can have a huge impact. Look at the Broncos, after losing to Seattle they went all-in on defense signing Aqib Talib and DeMarcus Ware to huge deals and TJ Ward to a mid-tier type of deal, and now they have one of the best defenses in the league that has carried them to a bye with basically no QB. They've done a great job drafting as well with guys like Wolfe, Malik Jackson, Williams, Harris and Miller but we aren't devoid of talent on defense either with Lawrence, Crawford, Lee, Jones and Gregory.

If we cut Church I think we save about 4 million on the cap, in that case we could easily sign Eric Berry if he becomes available (which I don't think he will), Eric Weddle or Tashaun Gipson. We could easily sign a run-stuffer like Akiem Hicks to clog up the middle, an athletic LB like Demario Davis to go with Lee or a RB with home run potential in Miller to split carries with McFadden.

I'm not saying we should sign Muhammad Wilkerson and Josh Norman to 6 year, 90 million dollar contracts but we can definitely work our way around the cap and afford a couple of contracts that average about 5-7 a year. Honestly, we owe Romo that much at this point, and if we really want to give it a go with him we need to not worry about the 2019 cap and just go for it now. Realistically, once whatever contracts we give out this offseason come home to roost guys like Romo, Witten and Carr will be gone, and they account for probably about 25% of our cap right now as it is, once they're gone we should have no trouble re-signing the core of our current roster.

Last edited:

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Depends on the money. He wasn't the dominant force I had hoped for but still probably better than anyone we'd be able to replace him with.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll say this, if we don't re-sign Hardy we should have plenty of cap space to make an impact signing or two, along with a couple of mid-tier signings. I don't want to hear about how you overpay at the beginning of free agency and how we want to wait 3 weeks so that we can sign Andrew Gachkar and Jasper Brinkley. We will have space, we don't have any of our own players in line for big deals this offseason or next if we let Hardy walk and if we want to make a run at it while Romo is still here it's time to go all-in.
Jasper Brinkley just reminds me what shit you can get when you try to be prude in the free agent market. You really have to be able to find some sort of a happy medium between the two. We could also save some real money by dumping Carr. Of course we need to have some starting corners so we would then need to go out and sign someone.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Fuck Garrett and who he likes and doesn't like. He is running around screaming the virtues of Terrence Williams and that guy came up small when we needed him.
Oh, but didn't you see his huge game vs the Skins when it DIDN'T matter?
He was teh huge!!

:lol

:picard

p1_

DCC 4Life
You can't really take advantage of a Greg Hardy without some stoutness in the middle of the defense. Nick Hayden playing on roller-skates is a major problem.

So bring him back, don't break the bank, and find a better NT.
Speaking of the of DT middle, it's hard to know how Tyrone's injury impacted Hardy's effectiveness too.
We apparently got less than his best without really knowing he was injured throughout.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member

Sure, going all-out in free agency doesn't always work, but if you are smart and pragmatic about the way you go about it, they can have a huge impact. Look at the Broncos, after losing to Seattle they went all-in on defense signing Aqib Talib and DeMarcus Ware to huge deals and TJ Ward to a mid-tier type of deal, and now they have one of the best defenses in the league that has carried them to a bye with basically no QB. They've done a great job drafting as well with guys like Wolfe, Malik Jackson, Williams, Harris and Miller but we aren't devoid of talent on defense either with Lawrence, Crawford, Lee, Jones and Gregory.

If we cut Church I think we save about 4 million on the cap, in that case we could easily sign Eric Berry if he becomes available (which I don't think he will), Eric Weddle or Tashaun Gipson. We could easily sign a run-stuffer like Akiem Hicks to clog up the middle, an athletic LB like Demario Davis to go with Lee or a RB with home run potential in Miller to split carries with McFadden.

I'm not saying we should sign Muhammad Wilkerson and Josh Norman to 6 year, 90 million dollar contracts but we can definitely work our way around the cap and afford a couple of contracts that average about 5-7 a year. Honestly, we owe Romo that much at this point, and if we really want to give it a go with him we need to not worry about the 2019 cap and just go for it now. Realistically, once whatever contracts we give out this offseason come home to roost guys like Romo, Witten and Carr will be gone, and they account for probably about 25% of our cap right now as it is, once they're gone we should have no trouble re-signing the core of our current roster.
I agree that the D is where the bulk of the FA $ should go. Definitely potential for it to take a significant leap if they makes a few key moves that pan out. They have to do whatever they can to turn the D into a legit strength. Can't half-ass it. Sign a couple guys that have a history making plays. Eric Berry would be awesome but yeah, unlikely.

Hardy or someone is going to have to be signed to rush the passer. If they sign him, off the field shit aside they'll have to hope he was affected by all the time he missed for suspension and bet on a bounce back on the field. He was good but they would need him to get back to being a badass to elevate that D. The potential is still there, just remains to be seen if he can get back to that level. If they can sign him to a contract an 8 sack per year type would be expected to get there would be obvious upside, but that is probably far-fetched. Really just depends on how many teams won't touch him for the character stuff. Have to think a division rival would get involved enough to at least try & drive up the price a bit.

I would be for signing L. Miller for the other side of the ball depending on the contract. What RBs will be there at that high 2nd round pick though? All but Elliot & Henry? Anyone else going to be near that spot on their board do you think? Would be nice to get a RB & WR in the first few rounds of it works out that way.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Totally agree. Jimmy was a prime example. I believe he had a psychology degree. He was outstanding at dealing with different personalities. He had an overarching defensive philosophy but I don't think he was too worried about micromanaging either side of the ball.

Parcells of course too.

Best example today I think is Bruce Arians.

It's funny that when people talk about the best coaching candidate they focus on the coach's system and X and O prowess.But that often doesn't translate to success as a HC .
I could not agree more. To me this is huge.

I put the same stock into the draft. A hardcore competitor will beat a physical freak in a bunch of cases.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Totally agree. Jimmy was a prime example. I believe he had a psychology degree. He was outstanding at dealing with different personalities. He had an overarching defensive philosophy but I don't think he was too worried about micromanaging either side of the ball.

Parcells of course too.

Best example today I think is Bruce Arians.

It's funny that when people talk about the best coaching candidate they focus on the coach's system and X and O prowess.But that often doesn't translate to success as a HC .
IMO, it's 50-50. You don't want an Xs and Os nerd like Martz who can't relate to players, but you don't want a guy who is running Offensive Football For Dummies even if he gets great effort from his players. The latter guy is easier to help because you can bring in a coordinator to handle spicing up the offense, but a lot of times he'll want to bring in a buddy for that role that will call a vanilla conservative Offense (or D).

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I would be for signing L. Miller for the other side of the ball depending on the contract. What RBs will be there at that high 2nd round pick though? All but Elliot & Henry? Anyone else going to be near that spot on their board do you think? Would be nice to get a RB & WR in the first few rounds of it works out that way.
I really like Alex Collins from Arkansas, if we could get him at the top of the 3rd I think we'd be getting a steal. I'd be fine with Henry at the top of the 2nd but not ecstatic necessarily, it'd be fine value and I think we could grind teams down with him but I'd rather have Collins in the 3rd than Henry in the 2nd.

Paul Perkins would be a nice find in the 4th if he lasts that long.

I'm really not hard up for us to draft any specific RB's though, I think if we have any reasonably talented guy back there they should be fine behind our OL when you consider what a seemingly washed up McFadden did. I have my favorites of course but if we took someone like Kenneth Dixon or Jordan Howard in the 3rd they'd probably be just fine behind our OL.

I do prefer to sign Miller though and wait to draft a RB until 2017 when it will be one of the best RB classes ever.

shane

DCC 4Life
I would like him back, but I would really like to see the RB position shored up more. Most mock drafts have us taking some beastly WR out of Ole Miss at the 4th pick. If we can get a formidable runner back there with two #1 WRs, we will have enough to get by on the defense with a few smaller additions to fill gaps.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really like Alex Collins from Arkansas, if we could get him at the top of the 3rd I think we'd be getting a steal. I'd be fine with Henry at the top of the 2nd but not ecstatic necessarily, it'd be fine value and I think we could grind teams down with him but I'd rather have Collins in the 3rd than Henry in the 2nd.

Paul Perkins would be a nice find in the 4th if he lasts that long.

I'm really not hard up for us to draft any specific RB's though, I think if we have any reasonably talented guy back there they should be fine behind our OL when you consider what a seemingly washed up McFadden did. I have my favorites of course but if we took someone like Kenneth Dixon or Jordan Howard in the 3rd they'd probably be just fine behind our OL.

I do prefer to sign Miller though and wait to draft a RB until 2017 when it will be one of the best RB classes ever.
I think I like Henry more then most people but the rest I agree with. And I'm completely ok not taking a RB in the first few rounds of this draft. There are WR's, QB's and defensive players I am far more interested in.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I would like him back, but I would really like to see the RB position shored up more. Most mock drafts have us taking some beastly WR out of Ole Miss at the 4th pick. If we can get a formidable runner back there with two #1 WRs, we will have enough to get by on the defense with a few smaller additions to fill gaps.
Treadwell is a monster, though I could see San Diego grabbing him. He's basically somewhere between Michael Crabtree and Dez Bryant-- not fast, but physical and a playmaker.

I like Ezekiel Elliot a lot. That guy could be a dominant Cowboy for years. Can you imagine a true breakaway threat combined with Murray's power and efficiency from 2014? Pass blocking, well PFF had the kid successfully blocking 103 out of 103 attempts, so that ain't bad.

shane

DCC 4Life
Treadwell is a monster, though I could see San Diego grabbing him. He's basically somewhere between Michael Crabtree and Dez Bryant-- not fast, but physical and a playmaker.

I like Ezekiel Elliot a lot. That guy could be a dominant Cowboy for years. Can you imagine a true breakaway threat combined with Murray's power and efficiency from 2014? Pass blocking, well PFF had the kid successfully blocking 103 out of 103 attempts, so that ain't bad.
I would prefer a speed demon next to Dez, rather than someone who sounds very similar. Nevertheless, having an amazing offensive line and amazing WR and TE talent will make Dallas a great destination for a star QB after Romo is done. Especially if we shore up the RB position. I am hoping we get the guy out of Bama in the early 4th round. Elliot would be good to use a second or third round pick on.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I like Elliott as well. Safe safe pick in my opinion. Running, receiving, pass blocking. But hey, too rich for us. Anybody can run behind this line and stuff.

We got McFadden. Definitely got McFadden.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I would take Hardy back for the right deal. Let him test the waters and see how many teams will take a shot at him with his "baggage" along with his less than stellar performance. He was good but not great last year so his agent might have a hard time getting him a big money contract unless they have GM Jerrah at the helm. Otherwise, buh-bye.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I like Elliott as well. Safe safe pick in my opinion. Running, receiving, pass blocking. But hey, too rich for us. Anybody can run behind this line and stuff.

We got McFadden. Definitely got McFadden.
McFadden finished 4th in the league in rushing and averaged 4.6 YPC with a combo platter of shit at QB and our biggest receiving threat out for half the season. So yea, maybe not anybody can run behind this OL, but anybody reasonably talented can.

I definitely like Elliott as a prospect but what are you suggesting? That we take him at 4?

If we were picking at 14 he would be a very serious consideration but you obviously don't take him at 4.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
McFadden finished 4th in the league in rushing and averaged 4.6 YPC with a combo platter of shit at QB and our biggest receiving threat out for half the season. So yea, maybe not anybody can run behind this OL, but anybody reasonably talented can.

I definitely like Elliott as a prospect but what are you suggesting? That we take him at 4?

If we were picking at 14 he would be a very serious consideration but you obviously don't take him at 4.
Trade down, I make him a target.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Trade down, I make him a target.
Maybe but would you rather go Elliott in the first and end up with Connor Cook or Kevin Hogan later on or QB in the first and a guy like Alex Collins or Paul Perkins in the 3rd?

Top Bottom