2016 Senior Bowl Stuff...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys staff to coach in Senior Bowl

Todd Archer

IRVING, Texas – After last season’s 12-4 finish and exit from the divisional round of the playoffs, the Dallas Cowboys coaches worked the Pro Bowl in Phoenix, Arizona.

With this season’s 4-12 record, the Cowboys’ coaches will work the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama.

There might be more benefit to coaching the Senior Bowl, where a lot of the top draft prospects will play, than a Pro Bowl.

“I’ve talked to many of them who said we did evaluate those players better that played in that Senior Bowl than we ever had from a coaches’ perspective,” owner and general manager Jerry Jones said. “Not really from a scouts’, but from a coaches’.”

Because of the coaching changes with the Tennessee Titans and Cleveland Browns, the Cowboys and San Diego Chargers’ staffs will work the college all-star game. The most important part of the week is not the game, but the three days of practice leading into the game.

Typically, teams send their entire coaching staffs to the games so they can get their first real looks at the upcoming draftable players. Teams’ personnel departments also do a lot of interviewing and behind-the-scenes work that helps them get a head start on the process for the NFL scouting combine in February.

“You’re there for a week with the players, so you see them in a pro football environment,” Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said. “We would meet in practice, like we would here, so you get a chance to see them up close and spend the days with them both in the meetings and on the practice field and obviously see how they respond to our system of football and how we want to coach. And then you get a chance to coach them in the ballgame. So it’s really the best up-close-and-personal look that you get of these players through the whole draft process.”

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
Now we just need to hope he is on the team that we coach.
with all the hype this guy is getting right now, he's going to go in the mid-first. Only Scenario Wentz is a cowboy is if we trade down, unless he has a terrible Senior Bowl/Combine workout

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
In all seriousness, there are alot of prospects I'm interested in outside of Wentz that we could get a really good look at:

Sheldon Rankins, DT Louisville
Vernon Butler, DT Louisiana Tech
Shilique Calhoun, DE Michigan St.
Maurice Canady, CB Virginia
Jeremy Cash, S Duke
Sean Davis, CB Maryland
Josh Doctson, WR TCU
Deiondre Hall, CB Northern Iowa
William Jackson, CB Houston
Kevin Hogan, QB Stanford
Harlan Miller, CB SE Louisiana
Tyler Matakevich, LB Temple
Antonio Morrison, LB Florida
Carl Nassib, DE Penn St.
Dadi Nicolas, DE/OLB Virginia Tech
Shawn Oakman, DE Baylor
Josh Perry, LB Ohio St.
Sterling Shepard, WR Oklahoma
Noah Spence, DE Eastern Kentucky
Darian Thompson, S Boise St.
Adolphus Washington, DT Ohio St.
Jonathan Williams, RB Arkansas

As I look at this list, there are alot of CB's who fit the mold we want (6-0+, 195-200) who are likely to go in the 3rd-5th area, perhaps coaching this event will save our asses from taking a CB in the 1st once the coaches are exposed to some of these guys.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

I hope he's right.

Cotton

Staff member
1st time since 1965 the Cowboys coaches have coached the Senior Bowl. Let that sink in for a moment.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
with all the hype this guy is getting right now, he's going to go in the mid-first. Only Scenario Wentz is a cowboy is if we trade down, unless he has a terrible Senior Bowl/Combine workout
At least a late first. If he performs well I can see him going to the Texans. With this probably being Peyton's last hurrah, I could also see the Broncos being interested especially if they aren't sold on Osweiller longterm. And there is always a good chance someone trades into the bottom of the first to get him. At this point I'd say it's unlikely he's there for us in the 2nd.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
1st time since 1965 the Cowboys coaches have coached the Senior Bowl. Let that sink in for a moment.
Senior Bowl didn't always have the bottom teams in each conference coaching the game. I know in the '90's it was either the team with the best record that missed the playoffs or staff from a wildcard game loser.

If the worst team always coached it we would've done it in '88 / '89.

Cotton

Staff member
Senior Bowl didn't always have the bottom teams in each conference coaching the game. I know in the '90's it was either the team with the best record that missed the playoffs or staff from a wildcard game loser.

If the worst team always coached it we would've done it in '88 / '89.
True. Didn't think about 88/89.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Wentz had damn well better be on the North squad, you can't get much further north than North Dakota. I don't think they strictly assign players to teams based on geography but I do think they make an attempt to. With QB's from Mississippi St. and Louisiana Tech on the squad there is a pretty damn good chance that our staff gets Wentz.

The guy I'm most interested in after Wentz is Sheldon Rankins who probably goes to the South roster but we may get Adolphus Washington, which would be good.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
In all seriousness, there are alot of prospects I'm interested in outside of Wentz that we could get a really good look at:

Sheldon Rankins, DT Louisville
Vernon Butler, DT Louisiana Tech
Shilique Calhoun, DE Michigan St.
Maurice Canady, CB Virginia
Jeremy Cash, S Duke
Sean Davis, CB Maryland
Josh Doctson, WR TCU
Deiondre Hall, CB Northern Iowa
William Jackson, CB Houston
Kevin Hogan, QB Stanford
Harlan Miller, CB SE Louisiana
Tyler Matakevich, LB Temple
Antonio Morrison, LB Florida
Carl Nassib, DE Penn St.
Dadi Nicolas, DE/OLB Virginia Tech
Shawn Oakman, DE Baylor
Josh Perry, LB Ohio St.
Sterling Shepard, WR Oklahoma
Noah Spence, DE Eastern Kentucky
Darian Thompson, S Boise St.
Adolphus Washington, DT Ohio St.
Jonathan Williams, RB Arkansas

As I look at this list, there are alot of CB's who fit the mold we want (6-0+, 195-200) who are likely to go in the 3rd-5th area, perhaps coaching this event will save our asses from taking a CB in the 1st once the coaches are exposed to some of these guys.
No doubt, always top level talent in this game. Two interesting names on that list are Calhoun and Oakman. Last year before they decided not to enter the draft several mocks had each in the first round and a couple had each in the top 10 of last years draft. Now a year later they both look like 2nd rounders. Definitely gives you pause about many of these early mocks. Always a few players even at this point when the season if over who drop big or rise between Jan and April.

Besides those two 2nd rounders I also really like Rankins, Doctson, Noah Spence and Kenneth Dixon, RB. Hogan is a QB that would be a solid choice in the 4th-5th if we pass on the earlier guys. I also want to keep an eye on QB Jacoby Brissett, Jonathan Williams at RB and Sterling Shepard, Derrick Shepard's son at WR.

Last edited:

dallen

Senior Tech
Wentz had damn well better be on the North squad, you can't get much further north than North Dakota. I don't think they strictly assign players to teams based on geography but I do think they make an attempt to. With QB's from Mississippi St. and Louisiana Tech on the squad there is a pretty damn good chance that our staff gets Wentz.

The guy I'm most interested in after Wentz is Sheldon Rankins who probably goes to the South roster but we may get Adolphus Washington, which would be good.
Brandon Allen from Arkansas too. Although I guess Arkansas is technically farther North than Louisiana and Mississippi

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Brandon Allen from Arkansas too. Although I guess Arkansas is technically farther North than Louisiana and Mississippi
I didn't think he was in the game, I'd like him as a 6th/7th round developmental prospect.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If we end up having Josh Perry on our roster I think he's a sneaky possible pick at the top of the 2nd. Marinelli seemingly likes his MLB's to have height/length and he is physically exactly the same as McClain at about 6-4/250, very productive at Ohio St., and I think I read that he profiles as team leader/captain type which you know Garrett will love.

If he has a big Senior Bowl and impresses the staff in the meetings I wouldn't be surprised if he was a strong possibility there in the 2nd. The other LB from Ohio St. will probably be in the conversation as well but he won't be at the Senior Bowl.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I didn't think he was in the game, I'd like him as a 6th/7th round developmental prospect.
He is not one of the six invitees. Wentz, Hogan, Brissett, Driskel, Prescott and Kessler.

dallen

Senior Tech
He is not one of the six invitees. Wentz, Hogan, Brissett, Driskel, Prescott and Kessler.
I bet you feel pretty embarrassed right now...

:robowink

Top Bottom