Thursday Night Chatter Thread - Week 14 | Raiders at Chiefs | 12/8/2016

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Gates has been a monster. I love Witten, but he's nowhere near the redzone weapon Gates has been.

Had Gates played in NY or NE (or Dallas) he'd be a legend.
Witten has put up better numbers and has had more elite level seasons, is 2 years younger and hasn't fallen off as sharply.

I don't think it's where they've played; Witten has simply been better.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Nope, I think Witten is the best all around TE of all time and a slam dunk first ballot choice.

But he probably won't get in first ballot because he isn't a glorified WR.
I don't think he'll be a 1st ballot HOF choice either btu I think he certainly gets in at some point.

data

Forbes #1
I claim hyperbole. Witten gets in HOF, but will wait 5+ years. Definitely in a higher tier than Derrick Johnson when it comes to HOF consideration, though.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
The wait will depend on the hardware, if he gets a ring it will speed up the process very much...

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I claim hyperbole. Witten gets in HOF, but will wait 5+ years. Definitely in a higher tier than Derrick Johnson when it comes to HOF consideration, though.
the problem is that he's a boring compiler, not a dynamic YAC/RZ guy. so yeah, no first ballot for him.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Safe bet. Every player has a 5 year waiting period from their retirement from the NFL.

Genghis Khan

:lol Excellent choice. Hyperbole claims are sadly underutilized.

I agree there will be a little bit of a wait.

data

Forbes #1
Safe bet. Every player has a 5 year waiting period from their retirement from the NFL.
To clarify, 5+ years after he's first eligible, so not 1st or 2nd ballot as most here have predicted.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't think Witten will be first ballot unless he wins a title but he won't wait 5 years to get in either. He's going to be a 10+ time Pro Bowler who ends up top 5 in NFL history in receptions, on top of being regarded as perhaps the last great "traditional" tight end, and of course you have to consider his pristine off the field reputation which also plays a role with the voters.

Guaranteed he gets in within 5 years of being eligible, most likely over Gates who hasn't really been relevant in years. I mean, Gates is great and all, a potential HOF'er himself, but he hasn't had 1,000 yards in nearly 10 years now.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Witten has put up better numbers and has had more elite level seasons, is 2 years younger and hasn't fallen off as sharply.

I don't think it's where they've played; Witten has simply been better.
I think both are clearly first ballot HOFers. Both do everything well and have for a long time and no one not named Gronk is going to challenge their caliber of greatness for many years.

The Walter Payton award is huge for Witten, and of course he's my personal favorite.

But with each catch, Gates gets more yards and scores WAY more often.

His 109 TDs to Witten's 62 is a huge gap. Even now in his "fallen off" season, Gates has 5 TDs, more than double Witten's 2.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Gronk=injury prone. Will never live up to expections long term or get near the numbers of the other 2.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Gronk=injury prone. Will never live up to expections long term or get near the numbers of the other 2.
True, won't have longevity but won Superbowl. Also already more TDs than Witten. Greatness more important than longevity anyway.

Genghis Khan

True, won't have longevity but won Superbowl. Also already more TDs than Witten. Greatness more important than longevity anyway.
Yards and receptions are more important than touchdowns. TDs aren't the only stat.

Top Bottom