Archer: Jason Garrett - 'Everybody has to do everything better'

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jason Garrett: 'Everybody has to do everything better'

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – When the Dallas Cowboys won Monday night against the Washington Redskins, Jerry Jones sounded more relieved than impressed.

"We won on will out there and not on tactical mastery," Jones said. "That's not a criticism, but that's where we are a as a team."

That sure sounded like a criticism of Jason Garrett and the coaching staff.

On Thursday, Garrett was asked about Jones’ comments.

“Oh, I think everybody has to do everything better,” Garrett said. “You start with us as a coaching staff, me as the head coach, the coaches throughout the staff, how our players play, and we all have to do better. That’s what we focus on when we come to work every day.”

Before beating the Redskins, the Cowboys were winless without Tony Romo, dropping seven straight games with Brandon Weeden and Matt Cassel as the starter. The Cowboys had the lead or were tied in the fourth quarter in six of those seven games. They lost two games in overtime (New Orleans Saints, Philadelphia Eagles).

The defense could not make a stop when it mattered and the offense could not score a touchdown when it was needed.

“I am stunned that we haven’t been able to win more games without Tony,” Jones said after the game. “And I would have thought that we could have coached it up enough, and put it together enough, that we would not have lost those games without Romo early. We would be in better shape than we are right now.”

By singling out the coaches, Jones put the work of the front office above the fray. Last week, executive vice president Stephen Jones was more accountable.

He said the Cowboys did not handle the backup quarterback spot correctly, perhaps should have handled the Dez Bryant negotiations differently because of all the practice time the receiver ended up missing. While not regretting the decision to let DeMarco Murray leave via free agency, Stephen Jones said how the club handled the replacement plan could have been better.

“We take more accountability than that, than bad luck,” Stephen Jones said. “At least I think we should, and I think Jerry does, too. I think obviously we didn’t handle the quarterback situation in a way that allowed us to have some success while Tony was out.”

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Garrett hasn't gotten better at managing end of game situations in 5 fucking years so that's fun. Maybe he should hold himself accountable for being a complete dickhead in that regard.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Garrett hasn't gotten better at managing end of game situations in 5 fucking years so that's fun. Maybe he should hold himself accountable for being a complete dickhead in that regard.
Do you blame Garrett or McFadden? I'm not sure we have heard whether McFadden was told not to score. He surely should have been. Dumb players can make coaches look dumb. Look at New York. Their last minute gaffs have lost them 5 games in the final 75 seconds this year.

townsend

Banned
Do you blame Garrett or McFadden? I'm not sure we have heard whether McFadden was told not to score. He surely should have been. Dumb players can make coaches look dumb. Look at New York. Their last minute gaffs have lost them 5 games in the final 75 seconds this year.
One of those gaffs was not scoring when they had the chance. I think you take that TD every time.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I blame him more for leaving the Redskins with 9 seconds and a timeout left if Bailey had missed, giving them a chance with the ball on their own 44 to get into FG range. The McFadden thing is annoying and not ideal but I wasn't overly pissed about it, leaving the Redskins 9 seconds and a timeout in that situation is a joke, any coach worth anything at least makes the Skins use that timeout and/or bleeds the clock so that the FG attempt is the last play of the game.

dallen

Senior Tech
I read Garrett said that they didn't tell him not to score

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
One of those gaffs was not scoring when they had the chance. I think you take that TD every time.
Except in that situation, townsend.

What would you rather have:
1) 3 point lead, no Washington TO's, and 0 seconds on the clock
2) 7 point lead, 2 Washington TO's, 1:14 on the clock, and kickoff ensuing.

They were in complete control of either scenario happening.

Needless to say, Washington can only win with choice #2.

Situations like that make me wonder how Jason can still be getting on-the-job training now after what, eight and a most of a ninth season as OC and HC?

Anyways, really glad we won.

townsend

Banned
Except in that situation, townsend.

What would you rather have:
1) 3 point lead, no Washington TO's, and 0 seconds on the clock
2) 7 point lead, 2 Washington TO's, 1:14 on the clock, and kickoff ensuing.

They were in complete control of either scenario happening.

Needless to say, Washington can only win with choice #2.

Situations like that make me wonder how Jason can still be getting on-the-job training now after what, eight and a most of a ninth season as OC and HC?

Anyways, really glad we won.
After Dmac put it on the turf twice already, I don't know if those 3 points are guaranteed.

Also would we have been able to run it down to zero? Seems like there's still be about 30 seconds left on the clock the skins use their last 2 timeouts, and they we run down the play clock after 3rd down. Apparently 30 seconds is long enough to give up a TD.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
That includes you, coach. Your clapping technique has been sorely lacking recently.

I just had a funny thought after making that crack about Garrett. Remember how Jerrah would almost always come down to the sidelines during a close game and start clapping in years past? I had the thought that maybe Garrett's clapping is one of the things that earned and kept him the job since the RHG days are clearly past and that's all he has left.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I don't know if those 3 points are guaranteed.

Also would we have been able to run it down to zero? Seems like there's still be about 30 seconds left on the clock the skins use their last 2 timeouts, and they we run down the play clock after 3rd down. Apparently 30 seconds is long enough to give up a TD.
If you fear DM fumbling, you don't give him the ball there at all.

As for time:

2nd and 1 from the six-- get first down and fall. (i.e. Don't fucking score)
Washington TO
1:14-- 1st and goal-- kneel
Washington TO (Washington now out of TO's)
1:10-- 2nd and goal-- kneel
0:35-- 3rd and goal-- kneel
Dallas TO
0:03-- Bailey is 183/183 from this distance.

Ballgame, and nothing Washington can do about it. They can't even try to ice.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If you fear DM fumbling, you don't give him the ball there at all.

As for time:

2nd and 1 from the six-- get first down and fall. (i.e. Don't fucking score)
Washington TO
1:14-- 1st and goal-- kneel
Washington TO (Washington now out of TO's)
1:10-- 2nd and goal-- kneel
0:35-- 3rd and goal-- kneel
Dallas TO
0:03-- Bailey is 183/183 from this distance.

Ballgame, and nothing Washington can do about it. They can't even try to ice.
That would be correct if everything went as predicated. The problem is that there is no guarantee the field goal will be successful. You could get a bobbled snap a block or even a miss. The latter is low odds but it is still a risk. It's not a foolproof deal.

Top Bottom