Week 14 Chatter Thread | Dallas vs Green Bay | 12/13/2015

Jiggyfly

Banned
Pardon me for my ignorance but has something happened in NO that I don't know about? Why all this talk about Sean Payton coming to Dallas?
Report: Saints would allow Sean Payton to explore coaching options
Report: Saints would allow Sean Payton to explore coaching options
By Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com
November 8, 2015 12:32 pm ET

Sean Payton has been the Saints' coach since 2006 and in that time he's gone 84-52 and brought a Super Bowl trophy to New Orleans. But in recent weeks, Payton reportedly had "some interest" in the USC job, and "multiple teams" reportedly would inquire about trading for him.

On Sunday, more fuel was added to the rumor-mill fire: NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported that the Saints "would be inclined" to let Payton become a coaching free agent after the 2015 season. Payton could also hit the open market if Saints owner Tom Benson is no longer in charge.

In June, Benson, who has battled family members for control of the team, was ruled mentally fit to run the Saints.

If Payton does hit the open market, he's going to be in demand. With the Dolphins, Titans already firing coaches, and the Jaguars, Lions, 49ers, Browns and Colts likely to do the same when the season's over, Payton can have his choice of gigs -- and with it, the leverage to get all the control he might want.

If we were to give him some advice -- advice Ken Whisenhunt didn't follow when he took the Tennessee job over the one in Detroit -- make sure your next team has a franchise quarterback.
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2015/12/new_orleans_saints_might_consi.html

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Sad thing about Garrett is that he's not a puppet.

In a way, he's manipulating Jerry into thinking he's competent.

I don't think he's "castrated" any more than he allows himself to be. He is more like his stupid dipshit father that thinks being a lifer in football is worth it.

He has zero personal ambition. He's the epitome of a politician.
Exactly right. He's about his protecting his career first and foremost. That's why he's so concerned with making nice with the local press and giving huge smiles to opposing coaches every time, even after devastating losses. It's a joke that some people ever painted him as some super-driven coach who is obsessed with winning, like a Jimmy Johnson or a Harbaugh, when it's clear his first concern is having people like him.

Thing is, as lousy a coach as he is, he's been extremely successful at his goal. He's been here almost a decade now and probably made around 30 million dollars by selling his image.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
With a healthy team we can win in spite of Garrett to some extent. Marinelli is clearly a solid DC and our defense has generally been decent this year, Linehan is an ok play-caller and even without a great RB our running game has been passable, with a healthy Romo and Dez we run away with the division this year and probably win a playoff game, maybe even 2. If we are healthy next year we probably have a similar outcome.

My concern is that I think a real coach, Bruce Arians for example, could unlock potential in this team that could take the team to a new level, something that will likely never be realized with a zero-value add like Garrett.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
With a healthy team we can win in spite of Garrett to some extent. Marinelli is clearly a solid DC and our defense has generally been decent this year, Linehan is an ok play-caller and even without a great RB our running game has been passable, with a healthy Romo and Dez we run away with the division this year and probably win a playoff game, maybe even 2. If we are healthy next year we probably have a similar outcome.

My concern is that I think a real coach, Bruce Arians for example, could unlock potential in this team that could take the team to a new level, something that will likely never be realized with a zero-value add like Garrett.
Yep and that's what happened last year when we were healthy with Linehan taking over play-calling and Marinelli coaching defense with Garrett clapping. It just kills me knowing how much better we'd be with a real HC instead of settling for mediocre and hoping we can win in spite of him.

But so Jerry can be comfortable and not have to worry about being overshadowed by the HC we'll likely continue with the Garrett experiment for a few more seasons. My concern is by then we'll have wasted the careers of many of our younger players just like we did with Romo, Witten, Ware, etc.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Are the Dolphins in throwbacks? Their uniforms look different.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, those are the throwbacks. Looks good. I have no idea why they ever changed them.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
7-3 Dolphins.

Wha...you people are not into the playoff watch?

If the Giants lose, we are like still in it and stuff.

Donpingon

DCC 4Life
isnt lamar miller a free agent this offseason? hed be excellent behind our OL. miami hasnt used him much this year

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
isnt lamar miller a free agent this offseason? hed be excellent behind our OL. miami hasnt used him much this year
Yes he is and Miami probably won't let him test the market.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
All are about the same.

And we suck worse.

Very shitty to think about.
With a competent coach we'd be as good. With the crap HC we have and a healthy Romo all season we'd still be running away with this division.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
With a competent coach we'd be as good. With the crap HC we have and a healthy Romo all season we'd still be running away with this division.
Yeah we are about the same same with Garrett at HC and Cassell at QB.

With Romo alone we are easily running away with this division. Of course who knows if we will ever have a healthy Romo again.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yea, while watching the game I said that Witten was wide open on that play, shit QB's just don't see the field quick enough and lock on to targets.

My flag football team is one of the best in our league, our QB had to miss a playoff game at basically the last minute and our "back-up" couldn't do dick for the exact same reasons. We would have guys wide open (by our regular QB's standards) but he couldn't see it after locking on to his first read, nor did he have the arm to get it into tight windows. So basically, I know exactly how Witten feels there.

dallen

Senior Tech
~clears throat...~

http://www.dallascowboyscentral.com/showthread.php?5358-Week-14-Chatter-Thread-Dallas-vs-Green-Bay-12-13-2015&p=245374#post245374

Top Bottom