Jones not impressed with the coaching in last nights game.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Jerry Jones on playoff hunt: 'I look at it as 4-8'

By Kevin Patra
Around the NFL writer
Published: Dec. 8, 2015 at 07:43 a.m. Updated: Dec. 8, 2015 at 09:51 a.m.

Monday night's NFC East showcase between the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins turned out to be a slop-fest only a winner could love.

Sometimes even the winner sees the warts.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones took a measured approach when discussing the 19-16 victory, which kept his 4-8 team in the playoff hunt.

"We won on will out there tonight and not on tactical mastery," owner Jerry Jones said, per the Dallas Morning News. "That's not a criticism, but that's where we are as a team."

Jones lamented his struggling offense and the three turnovers, but harped on the overwhelming performance his defense displayed -- and linebacker Sean Lee in particular.

The owner didn't directly question the play calling at the end of the game, but hinted that scoring with 1:14 left on the clock after recovering a DeSean Jackson fumble in field-goal range wasn't the best game management. After Darren McFadden's touchdown, the Redskins raced down the field to tie the game.

"It didn't surprise me at all to see them hit Jackson deep, with how much time we had left," Jones said, via the team's official website.

After a big kick return, several quick passes and a clutch Dan Bailey 54-yard field goal, the Cowboys' playoff hopes remain alive.

Jones, however, isn't dusting off his party hat quite yet.

"I look at it as 4-8," he said when asked how he views his team's spot in the division. "And won't look at it any differently as we move up the ladder, until something really special happens. I'd like to see us get on the north side of some turnovers one time. If we saw that happen, with the kind of effort our team is giving, then you could get excited about this thing."

Jones knows that his playoff odds remain long, especially with an offense that can't move the ball.

"I would have never dreamed this," Jones said. "You can say it speaks to parity and I guess it does. We are fortunate and we've got to get better. We play (the Redskins) again. We've got some tough road games ahead of us. So we have a lot of work to do if we want to keep our head up. This sure was a good feeling."

Jiggyfly

Banned
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/12/08/notes-baileys-kick-ball-security-dez-crunch-time-jerry-qbs-more

Even with Matt Cassel delivering an elusive win, Jones allowed that he didn’t in any way feel vindicated about the way it played out.

“I don’t feel vindication. I’m stunned that we haven’t been able to win more games without Tony,” he said.
Jones recently gave himself a failing grade for the way he handled the backup quarterback position this offseason. That’s evident, given that it’ early December and the Cowboys just now won their first game without Romo – who has been missing for most of the year.

“I would’ve thought that we could coach it up enough, we could put it together enough that we would not have lost those games without Romo early, and we would have been in better shape than where we are right now,” he said.
Be that as it may, the sorry shape of the NFC East means Dallas is in striking distance of first place in the division – a tribute to the team’s ability to grind out a result.

“We won one on will out there tonight – not on tactical mastery,” Jones said. “With that in mind, that’s not a criticism – that’s where we are as a team. We’re going to have to win these games. We’ve been playing like this all year without Romo and lost them.”

Jiggyfly

Banned

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I still don't think he will fire Garrett but at least there are cracks showing now.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I still don't think he will fire Garrett but at least there are cracks showing now.
Yeah I don't think I have ever heard him be this critical of "Tactics".

Makes me think he is greasing the skids.

Carp

DCC 4Life
So I guess when OU wins the NCAA title that Stoops will leave them on a high note and take over Dallas.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Another big tactical blunder was the decision to kick it short after the touchdown. We did it in the second giants game and it cost us then, too. It's retarded and it needs to stop.

Carp

DCC 4Life
It is amazing that we still cannot figure out a way to find Dez. Cassel does settle for Witten quite a bit...and it was effective, but I see all these other teams find ways to get their lead WRs the ball. Hue Jackson for example...AJ Green is relevant every week, he can figure it out, but Garrett and Linehan are baffled in their efforts to get Dez the ball.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Another big tactical blunder was the decision to kick it short after the touchdown. We did it in the second giants game and it cost us then, too. It's retarded and it needs to stop.
Yep, I was screaming for them to kick it as far as Bailey possibly can. Just dumb.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I really don't think that was a called short kick, yes he consistently kicks it long but he does have a shorter kick from time to time.

I think it was just not his best KO attempt.

If my memory is correct he was short all game.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
It is amazing that we still cannot figure out a way to find Dez. Cassel does settle for Witten quite a bit...and it was effective, but I see all these other teams find ways to get their lead WRs the ball. Hue Jackson for example...AJ Green is relevant every week, he can figure it out, but Garrett and Linehan are baffled in their efforts to get Dez the ball.
Linehan has done it before with Megatron so I have to think it's more Garretts retarded scheme

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yea, that's the best we can hope for right now.

Looks like he's finally starting to realize what we all knew more than 5 years ago - Garrett can't coach worth a damn.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think Bailey just missed on the kicked...his last 2-3 KOs were all returned.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Jerry's just now noticing tactical issues with coaching? He's seen that JG is in over his head for years. Just shows that Jerry's comfort level trumps hiring a quality HC.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Jerry's just now noticing tactical issues with coaching? He's seen that JG is in over his head for years. Just shows that Jerry's comfort level trumps hiring a quality HC.
Yep. This was from 2011 when Garrett was screwing up the clock management yet again at the end of a big game. Didn't matter.

Or maybe this was early enough in his "training" that Jerry thought he'd have learned better by now.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
To me, the mistake of leaving any time on the clock following the Bailey FG attempt is the bigger mistake.

Sure, in an ideal world you have McFadden get the 1st down and force the Skins to use their 2 timeouts, then kick the FG with no time left, or when it's 1st and 10, even if you don't get the 1st, the strategy is to make the Skins use two timeouts and you run the clock down to about 35 seconds before kicking the FG, leaving the Skins about 30 seconds and no timeouts. But I can't really blame McFadden for punching it in for the TD, not only is it instinct, it's also guaranteeing that we get the lead, as opposed to the minor chance of a botched FG.

But to me, to have 2nd and 2 at the 37 with about 22 seconds left, you have 1 timeout, the Skins have one, and you throw two incompletions, leaving the Skins with their timeout and about 10 seconds on the clock following the FG attempt is the much bigger issue. What happens if Bailey misses and the Skins get the ball on their 44 with a timeout?

Why not run the ball, force them to use their timeout and/or attempt the FG with 2-3 seconds on the clock?

If we had Romo I understand trying to pick up 5-10 more yards but with Cassel you run the huge risk of turning the ball over or getting sacked, on top of the fact that you leave time on the clock and the Skins with a timeout.

I mean, this is Football 101 stuff here, Garrett is just a complete fucking dunce.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Jerry is perfectly fine with a giving a HC ten years to learn on the job if it means JJ doesn't have to walk on egg shells or give up any control to an actual qualified HC. Sadly this isn't going to change no matter how much control Stephen has not until JJ is gone.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Jerry doesn't understand Jason Garrett's intellect doesn't translate to football and especially game-day coaching.

You talk to Garrett and it's clear he's bright and clued in, but then he turns around and brain farts away game-day decisions time and again. Jerry just can't reconcile this.

Top Bottom