MLB Chatter Thread

Carp

DCC 4Life
That is a pretty good haul for the Phillies to get for Giles. I think they got 2 guys that slot right into their rotation.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Rangers, Tony Barnette Agree To Two-Year Deal

By Steve Adams | December 10, 2015 at 9:17am CST

The Rangers and right-handed reliever Tony Barnette are in agreement on a two-year contract, reports Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News. Barnette, 32, is a former D-backs farmhand that never broke into the Majors before heading over to Japan and establishing himself as a dominant closer. He is represented by the Wasserman Media Group.
------------

Big signing.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I like both players...adding those 2 certainly lenthens the line up. Maybe they are going to make Flores a super utility guy. That is the only part that kind of sucks...Flores really became a fan favorite after everything went down last year with his possible trade, etc. Adding these 2 definitely put him on the bench...and with Tejada coming back he may not even be guaranteed a roster spot.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
That is a pretty good haul for the Phillies to get for Giles. I think they got 2 guys that slot right into their rotation.
I agree. I hate to give up Giles, but the Phillies probably won't need a closer anytime soon. :lol

dallen

Senior Tech
Rangers, Tony Barnette Agree To Two-Year Deal

By Steve Adams | December 10, 2015 at 9:17am CST

The Rangers and right-handed reliever Tony Barnette are in agreement on a two-year contract, reports Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News. Barnette, 32, is a former D-backs farmhand that never broke into the Majors before heading over to Japan and establishing himself as a dominant closer. He is represented by the Wasserman Media Group.
------------

Big signing.
Colby Lewis 2.0

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I agree. I hate to give up Giles, but the Phillies probably won't need a closer anytime soon. :lol
Exactly. No point in a non-contending team holding onto a valuable closer. They got some nice pieces in return. The Phillies had a garbage farm system just a few years ago but have done a nice job restocking with young talent lately.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Jason Heyward Talks Progressing; Cubs, Cardinals Among Finalists
By Steve Adams | December 10, 2015 at 9:34am CST

Talks between Jason Heyward and interested parties are beginning to progress, according to Jon Morosi and Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports report (Twitter link). The Cubs and Cardinals are among the finalists, per the report, but there are other yet-unnamed clubs in the mix for Heyward’s services.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

This would be a huge signing for the Cubs. Heyward isn't the offensive monster most thought he would turn into but he is solid across the board in that regard and a top-notch defender in the outfield. Would love to bring him into the fold at 26 years of age.

I think if the Cardinals really want him they'll get him though. They haven't done much yet this offseason and have plenty of money to spend. There is some speculation that the Cubs would like Heyward but are largely staying in the chase to drive up his price for the Cardinals.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Maybe I am missing something with Heyward, but I have never thought of him as a franchise type players. I've seen projections of him getting an 8 year deal for 200 or more million. I would not do that.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Maybe I am missing something with Heyward, but I have never thought of him as a franchise type players. I've seen projections of him getting an 8 year deal for 200 or more million. I would not do that.
Well, his offensive numbers are not eye-popping but he does everything well. His defense is ridiculously good and that is where a lot of his value comes from. The way salaries are in MLB right now I would definitely give him 8 years for $200M. That would only take him through his age 34 season so I would not expect much decline during the life of the contract. Probably a bit in the SBs and defensive metrics towards the end but not drastic. And who knows, he might start hitting for more power by that point and increase his value in that area.

Hard to find good players in free agency where you can give them a nice contract like that and get all of their peak years without paying them deep into their 30s. If the Cardinals end up signing him I'll be disappointed but not crushed. I agree that he isn't a true franchise player but he would be a very nice piece to a championship caliber team. I would prefer that team be the Cubs over the Cardinals.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I'm surprised that was all it took.

Velasquez has great stuff but he was very hittable last year, he could never get past 5 innings without a very high pitch count.

Oberholtzer tops out as a back of the rotation guy, I don't know much about Fisher but IMO none of these guys is a great prospect.

Velasquez has a lot of upside so we will see.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Looks like they got our 2nd rounder from last year as well, that makes it much more steeper.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I'm surprised that was all it took.

Velasquez has great stuff but he was very hittable last year, he could never get past 5 innings without a very high pitch count.

Oberholtzer tops out as a back of the rotation guy, I don't know much about Fisher but IMO none of these guys is a great prospect.

Velasquez has a lot of upside so we will see.
Velasquez was their 4th rated prospect going into the season and 56th overall in MLB. Lots of teams were interested in adding him this offseason, the Yankees were trying to get him and add him to a package to get Ozuna from Miami.

Oberholtzer does slot in as the 4th or 5th starter...there is value in a guy who could slot into the 4th or 5th spot in the rotation. The Phillies are hurting for any kind of pitching prospects, so while he is not exciting...he adds to the back end of the rotation. 2 years MLB starting experience helps.

Getting Fisher could be the big steal...he was 11th overall for Hou and in his debut in the Cal League last year he hit 3 HRs and 12 RBI in his debut.

So like I said...they got a good haul for Giles.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Exactly. No point in a non-contending team holding onto a valuable closer. They got some nice pieces in return. The Phillies had a garbage farm system just a few years ago but have done a nice job restocking with young talent lately.
So what I hear you saying is that Houston should trade him as well.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Nationals, Angels To Swap Yunel Escobar, Trevor Gott

By Steve Adams | December 10, 2015 at 2:56pm CST

2:56pm: The Nationals are also receiving an additional minor leaguer in the trade, tweets Heyman.

2:40pm: MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez reports that right-hander Trevor Gott is heading to the Nationals in the deal (links to Twitter).

2:32pm: The Nationals have agreed to a trade that will send infielder Yunel Escobar to the Angels, reports Jon Heyman of CBS Sports (on Twitter). Jon Morosi of FOX Sports reported not long ago that the two sides were discussing a deal.

The 33-year-old Escobar will fill a significant need for the Angels while also allowing general manager Billy Eppler and his staff to remain flexible. Escobar is a capable defender at second base or third base — both positions of need to the Halos — freeing Eppler to pursue upgrades at either spot despite effectively already having filled one of the voids.

Escobar batted .314/.375/.415 with the Nats last season and saw all of his time on the field at third base, though there was also talk of playing him at second base before Anthony Rendon was sidelined for most of the season due to injury. Escobar hasn’t played second base since 2007 but has worked extensively at shortstop in recent seasons, though defensive metrics were down on his work there in 2014 with the Rays.

Escobar gives the Angels an affordable option in the infield, as he’s slated to earn $7MM this season and has a $7MM club option for the 2017 season as well. That should keep the Angels well below the luxury tax threshold, especially since the average annual value of his two-year, $13MM contract is a slightly lower $6.5MM.

The Angels were said last week to be in talks with David Freese about a reunion at third base, and while this doesn’t preclude that from happening due to Escobar’s stated versatility, he does have more experience at the hot corner. Additionally, he brings another right-handed bat to an Angels team that has, over the past six months, been said to be seeking some balance in the lineup, perhaps indicating that a left-handed second baseman would be a better fit than a right-handed third baseman. Indeed, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweets that the Angels’ plan is to use Escobar at third base, though he notes that the newest Halos acquisition could be moved to second base in the event of a Freese return.

For the Nationals, the deal continues president/GM Mike Rizzo’s efforts to revamp a bullpen that proved problematic throughout the 2015 season. Gott, 23, debuted with the Halos in 2015 and recorded a strong 3.02 ERA in 47 2/3 innings while averaging a blistering 96.2 mph on his fastball. However, in spite of that plus heat, Gott averaged just 5.1 K/9 while also averaging 3.0 walks per nine. Gott also averaged better than a strikeout per inning over the course of his minor league career, though, so there’s hope for additional missed bats as he gains more experience in the Majors. And, the Nationals have to be intrigued by his excellent 57.2 percent ground-ball rate.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Nats are in on Heyward now. Interesting.
Pretty sure they will throw more money at him than the Cubs or Cardinals. I just want him to sign somewhere so that the Cubs can set their backup plans into motion ASAP.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Sources: Rangers looking at A&M-ex for outfield depth spot

It turns out the Rangers outfield depth candidate has been sitting right under their noses, well, for basically his entire life.

According to two major league sources, the club has interest in Austin-reared, Texas A&M-educated Dallas-area resident Justin Ruggiano as a cost-effective right-handed bat who could spell Josh Hamilton in left field. Ruggiano made $2.5 million in 2015.

Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said during the winter meetings, which ended on Thursday, that the club had made progress on a right-handed outfield bat. He said he hoped to have something resolved in 7-10 days. Daniels declined to comment on any specific outfielders.

Ruggiano, 33, hit only .248 with an .805 OPS in 57 games with Seattle and the Los Angeles Dodgers last year. He refused an outright assignment to the minors in November and was made a free agent.

His overall numbers, however, don't tell the full story. He's been among the most effective right-handed hitting outfielders vs. left-handed pitching over the last four years. Ruggiano has a .290 batting average with a .359 on-base percentage and .571 slugging percentage and a .930 OPS in 439 plate appearances vs. lefties. The OPS ranks eighth, tied with Matt Holliday, for highest OPS among right-handed hitting outfielders with at least 400 plate appearances vs. lefties in the last four seasons. Toronto's Jose Bautista ranks ninth at .898 in 479 plate appearances.

Ruggiano had double-digit home run seasons in 2012-13 with Miami and hit .281 with a .337 OBP for the Chicago Cubs in 2014 before suffering an ankle injury. He had the surgery in Dallas and his medical history is likely well-known to the Rangers.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Velasquez was their 4th rated prospect going into the season and 56th overall in MLB. Lots of teams were interested in adding him this offseason, the Yankees were trying to get him and add him to a package to get Ozuna from Miami.

Oberholtzer does slot in as the 4th or 5th starter...there is value in a guy who could slot into the 4th or 5th spot in the rotation. The Phillies are hurting for any kind of pitching prospects, so while he is not exciting...he adds to the back end of the rotation. 2 years MLB starting experience helps.

Getting Fisher could be the big steal...he was 11th overall for Hou and in his debut in the Cal League last year he hit 3 HRs and 12 RBI in his debut.

So like I said...they got a good haul for Giles.
Yes Valesquez was all those things before he actually got called up but he had real issues getting major league hitters out.

Fisher rating has stagnated he has been a dissapointment so far, he is barely a top 10 prospect in the organization.

Nothing Houston gave up is a top level talent even if Valesquez stuff starts to translate he is probably a good 2 or 3.

Yes they got a nice package but to give up a young closer with the type of success and stuff Giles has and the fact that he is cost controlled for 5 more years and I would have exspected to give up much more.

Maybe I am just overestimating the Hype with Giles.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Yes Valesquez was all those things before he actually got called up but he had real issues getting major league hitters out.
50 hits in 55.2 IP is pretty solid. His WHIP was a bit high at 1.275 because he walked a few too many but his K/9 and K/BB rate were pretty good. Plus he was only 23 and it was his first crack at the majors (and only 55.2 IP).

I agree that you shouldn't be terribly upset that he got traded for a closer but I don't think anyone should be discouraged by what he did last season in limited innings.

Nothing Houston gave up is a top level talent even if Valesquez stuff starts to translate he is probably a good 2 or 3.
A good #2 or #3 starting pitcher who is cost controlled has a lot of value to a team so if he turns into that soon it will be a big win for Philly.

Top Bottom