Orlando Scandrick angry about being benched for rookie Anthony Brown

Jiggyfly

Banned
Orlando Scandrick angry about being benched for rookie Anthony Brown

8:30 AM CT
Jean-Jacques Taylor
ESPN Staff Writer

MINNEAPOLIS -- Dallas Cowboys cornerback Orlando Scandrick didn’t start Thursday against Minnesota, and he wasn’t happy about it.

"Those are questions you have to ask Jason Garrett," Scandrick said. "I just work here. I don’t determine how much I play."

Rookie cornerback Anthony Brown replaced Scandrick in the starting lineup in the Cowboys' 17-15 win against Minnesota. Brown played each of the game’s 74 snaps; Scandrick played when the Cowboys used schemes with three or four defensive backs.

He played 54 snaps.

When asked when he found out he would start, Brown said, "What day was it? A walk-through like Monday or Tuesday, and I was shocked, but then I just put my head down and kept grinding.

"I just keep doing what I’ve been doing. No need to try to be Superman. I was already getting a boatload of plays anyway. I just wanted to keep doing what I was doing, don’t try to make it bigger than it was."

Scandrick played well, recording seven tackles, including a key third-down stop. He also committed a hands to the face penalty that negated an interception by linebacker Anthony Hitchens.

Brown, a sixth-roound pick, had four tackles and a pass deflection. Minnesota challenged him deep several times, and each time he responded.

"The last three games, what, they threw like 12 deeps balls to me since Pittsburgh to tonight," Brown said. "They completed one when I gave up the deep ball last week (to DeSean Jackson). I expect them to keep coming next week, too. I look forward to Odell (Beckham Jr.)" and (Sterling) Shepard and those guys on the Giants."

Whether Brown is starting next week against the Giants, no one knows. Scandrick, who missed four games with injuries to both hamstrings, said he doesn’t know what his role will be against the Giants.

"I didn’t talk to Rod about it, Jason talked to me," Scandrick said. "He told me he thought I was banged up, Stefon (Diggs) was going to be in the slot most of the time, and they thought they could manage me a little bit like that."

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Scandrick needs to start because he's simply the better player.

Last edited:

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I don't know if was the right call but I'm glad that we aren't afraid to bench someone.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Looks like Brown has the potential to be a good one.

Ideally, Scandrick would be the #3 guy anyway behind a healthy Claiborne and Brown.

data

Forbes #1
Nowhere do I see indication that Scandrick was upset about being benched for Brown, as the headline indicates. Rather, benched for Carr perhaps?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I'm not sure he has been this year, though it could be due to health, he can't shake the injury bug.
I think they're trying to ease him along and want to ensure that he's available in the postseason. I'm fine with limiting his snaps by keeping him in the slot.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I don't know if was the right call but I'm glad that we aren't afraid to bench someone.
I don't think we benched him so much as we're concerned about keeping him in the slot. When Claiborne was healthy scandrick wasn't starting anyway, so I'm not sure why he's acting like this was some big affront. I also don't like hearing players upset over playing time on an 11-1 team.

As an aside, I'm glad it was Garrett who talked to him. Lots of HCs who consider themselves an offensive coach or a defensive coach ignore the other side of the ball. Good to see Garrett takes charge of the whole team.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I don't think we benched him so much as we're concerned about keeping him in the slot. When Claiborne was healthy scandrick wasn't starting anyway, so I'm not sure why he's acting like this was some big affront. I also don't like hearing players upset over playing time on an 11-1 team.

As an aside, I'm glad it was Garrett who talked to him. Lots of HCs who consider themselves an offensive coach or a defensive coach ignore the other side of the ball. Good to see Garrett takes charge of the whole team.
Yep. Also, it's nice to see that they are willing to let a younger player start over a veteran, instead of just giving the nod to the guy with seniority.

Brown has had his bumps this year, but overall I think he's played very well. The big two get all the credit for being the cream of the draft and leading us back to the top, but Brown deserves a shit ton of credit, too. He's played very well and helped us solidify a sore spot on this defense. And considering he was just a 6th round pick? Wow.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yep. Also, it's nice to see that they are willing to let a younger player start over a veteran, instead of just giving the nod to the guy with seniority.

Brown has had his bumps this year, but overall I think he's played very well. The big two get all the credit for being the cream of the draft and leading us back to the top, but Brown deserves a shit ton of credit, too. He's played very well and helped us solidify a sore spot on this defense. And considering he was just a 6th round pick? Wow.
This draft has been tremendous. Hopefully they all continue to progress.

dallen

Senior Tech
Nowhere do I see indication that Scandrick was upset about being benched for Brown, as the headline indicates. Rather, benched for Carr perhaps?
I was thinking the same thing. He certainly doesn't seem happy about it, but he seems focused on doing his job. He's not crying about his role

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I was thinking the same thing. He certainly doesn't seem happy about it, but he seems focused on doing his job. He's not crying about his role
In one if his own quotes he even said, "don't make this bigger than it is."

shane

DCC 4Life
Don't mind them easing Scandrick's work load. I also don't think this is any sort of a big deal.

Top Bottom