Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life
What the fuck is it with these two?!? They've been day to day for three weeks!!! It's like they are getting worse.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What the fuck is it with these two?!? They've been day to day for three weeks!!! It's like they are getting worse.
Yeah especially since both guys basically played through the injuries during the actual games. I mean hell Dez didn't even look like he was limping on the field and now he is going to miss 3-4 weeks potentially on a 1-3 week injury?

Scandrick is basically the same thing but I'm sort of ok with it considering how well Brown has played in his spot. I wonder if they are milking it a little because of that fact.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
There isn't anything "wrong" with them per se, what's wrong is one of two things:

Our diagnosis on these guys is completely off, as is usually the case with our injuries, or, we've known that both guys would be out a few weeks but are just trying to be cute and keep the opposition on their toes as we pretend like these guys could play at any moment.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah especially since both guys basically played through the injuries during the actual games. I mean hell Dez didn't even look like he was limping on the field and now he is going to miss 3-4 weeks potentially on a 1-3 week injury?
That's what happens when you let a player decide what they are going to do instead of the doc making the call.

Cotton

Staff member
Scouting the Packers: Cowboys facing an Aaron Rodgers who's lost his old MVP swagger

By Rick Gosselin , Staff Columnist

The Green Bay Packers have been all about the arm of Aaron Rodgers for the last nine seasons.

Since taking over for Brett Favre in 2008, Rodgers has been one of the NFL’s most productive quarterbacks. He’s delivered the Packers seven consecutive playoff berths over the last seven seasons with four NFC North titles. Rodgers has taken the Packers to two NFC title games and a Super Bowl championship. He’s a five-time Pro Bowler and a two-time NFL MVP who has won 65 percent of his career starts.

Rodgers set franchise records for yards (4,634) and touchdowns (45) in a season in 2011. Favre’s best efforts for the Packers were his 4,434 yards in 1995 and his 39 touchdowns in 1996. Rodgers also hold the franchise record for most 300-yard passing games in a season with eight. And he did it twice, in 2011 and 2014. Favre’s best effort was seven in 1995.

When Rodgers is on a roll, the Packers inevitably are on a roll.

But Rodgers has not been on a roll of late. The last time he threw for 300 yards in a game was Nov. 15, 2015, when he completed 35 of a career-high 61 passes for 333 yards against Detroit. He’s gone 13 consecutive games since then without passing for 300 -- the final seven games of the 2015 regular season, two playoff games, then the first four games of the 2016 season.

Why is that important? Because the Packers are 32-14 when Rodgers passes for 300 yards.

The longest 300-yard drought previously in his career was seven games in the second half of the 2012 season. In his career, Rodgers is completing 65 percent of his passes for an average of 296.5 yards per game. But during this 13-game stretch, Rodgers is completing only 58 percent of his passes for 220 yards. In his career, Rodgers has thrown almost four times as many touchdowns (266) as interceptions (68). But during this 13-game stretch, he has thrown 23 TD passes with nine interceptions.

The Aaron Rodgers the Cowboys face Sunday in Green Bay will not be the same Aaron Rodgers who scorched them for 316 yards and three touchdowns in a 2014 playoff game. That Aaron Rodgers had the swagger of an MVP. This Aaron Rodgers does not.

What’s puzzling about his slow start is that his favorite receiver, Jordy Nelson, is back after having missed the 2015 season with an August knee injury. Nelson has caught a TD pass in each of the first four games, but the two haven’t exactly been on the same page. Rodgers has thrown 40 passes at Nelson this season and he’s caught only 21 of them.

The blocking also has let Rodgers down at times. Rodgers has been sacked 34 times during this 13-game stretch. Arizona collected eight of those sacks in the playoff game and Rodgers also has been sacked five times in two other occasions, both times by Minnesota, once in 2015 and again in 2016. Rodgers has two first-year starters in front of him this season, guard Lane Taylor of Arlington Martin and center J.C. Tretter.

Maybe there’s a comfort level missing in the pocket. But this is not the same quarterback who lit Washington up for 480 yards in a 2013 game and Arizona for 400 yards in a 2009 playoff game. This Rodgers has been putting up Matt Cassel-type numbers -- 199 yards in the opener against Jacksonville, 180 against Minnesota, 205 against Detroit and then 259 yards last Sunday night against the Giants.

Rodgers is 4-1 in his career against the Cowboys with a four-game winning streak. Maybe the Cowboys are finally getting Rodgers at the right time.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That's what happens when you let a player decide what they are going to do instead of the doc making the call.
It's a conspiracy. They are saving him for Romo's return. :art

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Still don't trust the defense with Rodgers. They couldn't stop him when he was basically playing on one leg.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I don't see an issue with the injury timelines.

Hamstrings are always tricky and Scandrick is dealing with it in both legs. So I kind of figured they'd play it a little safer with him.

As far Dez, didn't the original diagnosis suggest that this was about a 3 week injury, with some experts even pointing to 5 or 6 weeks? I've always circled the Philly game as his likely return date.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Still don't trust the defense with Rodgers. They couldn't stop him when he was basically playing on one leg.
They did ok in the 1st half, but they couldn't do crap in the 2nd half to stop him.

That is the only game in the last 5 or 6 years that I actually spent time replaying in my mind on how we could have won. There were just so many opportunities wasted that day and we should have won by 10 points.

The awful shotgun call at the end of the 1st half on 3rd and 1 that resulted in a missed FG when we had been smashing them on the ground the entire half.

The Murray fumble that prevented what was likely to be a 60 yard TD and a 21-10 lead.

James Hanna inexplicably not being able to recover a fumble inside the 20 on a kickoff just after we took a 21-13 lead.

If we change any one of those plays and make them go our way, we win that game. Green Bay's offense had struggled all the way up until late in the 3rd because they were pressing the whole game, and leading by 10 or 15 at any point in the 2nd half would've kept them pressing, and likely not able to keep matching us score for score.

What could have been.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
James Hanna inexplicably not being able to recover a fumble inside the 20 on a kickoff just after we took a 21-13 lead.
I'll never understand how he did not recover this ball:

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
People bitched more about the Murray fumble. This was just as bad.
He recovers that, we go up 28-13 against a pressing offense in front of a demoralized crowd....in other words, it's over.

It just wasn't to be, I guess.

Cotton

Staff member

Good news.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Good news.
Yep, he is a valuable swing tackle for us. Hell he might not be far behind Free in terms of playing ability.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Yep, he is a valuable swing tackle for us. Hell he might not be far behind Free in terms of playing ability.
Depending on what happens the rest of the way, I might be willing to start him in place of Free by year's end.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Depending on what happens the rest of the way, I might be willing to start him in place of Free by year's end.
Feh.

Free isn't perfect. But I didn't notice anyone complaining Sunday.

He's the weakest link, but I think he is an important part of the line's chemistry.

Cotton

Staff member
Feh.

Free isn't perfect. But I didn't notice anyone complaining Sunday.

He's the weakest link, but I think he is an important part of the line's chemistry.
If Green continues to improve, I put him in full time. He is at Free's level now. If he continues to improve, he passes him pretty easily.

Top Bottom