MLB Chatter Thread

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
This is an interesting potential deal. Could Baez play an effective SS cause Forsythe has pretty much locked up 2B.

As as for what we could give up, I'd love to see Jennings sent off. He's oft injured and the outfield of KK, Mahtook and Souza was very productive last year and maybe the best defensive OF in the league. And yes, KK is going nowhere.

Pitchers will be the question. Archer is untouchable for another 2 years. Cobb has value to Chicago cause Maddon knows first hand what we is capable of, but he's coming off TJ. Moore was flat out bad coming off TJ last year, but after being sent down again to work on mechanics he came back up and was great. He's the biggest high risk/reward of the bunch. Smyly I think has a chronic problem in his shoulder that doesn't really need surgery, but he's good for a few DL stints a year for rest. Very good when active, though. Erasmo, or Er-Ace-mo as he was called much of last year, had a huge turnaround but I wouldn't trust him.

If I were you guys, I wouldn't give up a quality young player like him unless it was for Archer (no chance) and maybe Smyly if it turns out it isn't a chronic problem. If Cobb wasn't coming off TJ, maybe him too but too many questions now. I'd also probably ask for Mahtook instead of DJ.
Baez can definitely play SS. That is his natural position that he has spent by far the most time playing. The only reason he has been moved around (2B, 3B) is because the Cubs glut of SS. Russell is their guy there now because he is by far their best fielding SS (could develop as one of the best in the league in that regard).

I would have to rule out Smyly with the shoulder issue. Hard to imagine they move Baez for Cobb because of the TJ. Ramirez...feh. Matt Moore is a guy I would like to see the Cubs take a chance on but no way I would send a prospect like Baez for such a risky SP. Odorizzi is the guy I think would make the most sense (and he is a Chicago area guy, not that that really matters), but Marc Tompkins just reported that the Rays are trying to extend his contract so maybe they have no intention of moving him.

There are multiple reports that the teams are at least having discussions involving Baez but also that the Rays are talking to at least a few teams about trading pitching. We'll see. Winter Meetings are in session so a lot of shit is going to go down this week. We'll see if there is a match between the Cubs and Rays. Cubs aren't going to give Baez away for nothing though so if they don't get what they want they'll just hold him and maybe try to move him somewhere else.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Getting Chapman is a big deal for the Dodgers, but they had a weak starting rotation before Greinke left, now with him in Arizona it is even worse. Signing Iwakuma will help, but their rotation still sucks. I would have used the prospects they gave up for Chapman to get a starter...Janssen was excellent for them last year, now he is a set up guy? They chase names.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Service Time Grievances
12-07-2015, 04:53 PM
Kris Bryant, Maikel Franco File Service Time Grievances

By Jeff Todd | December 7, 2015 at 4:08pm CST
A pair of outstanding rookie third basemen, Kris Bryant of the Cubs and Maikel Franco of the Phillis, have filed grievances claiming that their service time was manipulated in an effort to delay their future entry onto the free agent market, Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reports.
No shortage of attention will be paid to these cases. Bryant, of course, won the National League’s Rookie of the Year award, while Franco might have staked his own claim to that title had he not been injured late in the year. And most importantly, the issue has heightened relevance with collective bargaining talks set to begin in earnest.

..........this really pizzes me off. First, I see nothing in the rules that prohibits a team from deciding on it's on when to promote a player. And yes, I agree that the timing of promotions can be influenced by when to start a player's service clock, but so what? Baseball is a business and team's should be allowed to manage their own business. With the rapidly escalating salaries, including those awarded in arbitration and not to overlook super two status, the pendulum is already way into the player's favor.

If a player is truly talented enough to deserve the big bucks, delaying free agency for a season isn't going to matter much in the grand scheme of things....especially when said player is "forced" to accept the mere sum of a half million dollars for his initial season in the bigs....keeping in mind that many of these same players are already millionaires due to their signing bonuses. Just imagine being made a millionaire prior to throwing your first ML pitch or getting your first base knock. Truly effing amazing that they still find time to whine.

If the rules are to be changed in this area for the future, I hope the teams can counterbalance this with stopping a player's clock while he on the DL (especially the 60 day) sucking up a paycheck. I love Profar, but two years of his service time to the Rangers has already gone down the drain. That seems grossly unfair to me considering how much money a team has to invest in a player just to get them to rookie status. I'd also like to see a modification to the mindset that just because one player has more service time than another, he should get paid more. What ever happened to the concept that your paycheck should reflect your value....and not your tenure? With the outrageous escalation of salaries(imagine being paid a million dollars per start), teams are sooner or later going to have to load their rosters with more and more minimum salaried players to balance their budgets and by doing so, possibly creating fewer jobs for veteran non-stars that are probably still better players than the minimum salaried guys that take their place but in order to pay the super stars the big bucks, there just isn't the additional funds to pay guys $5-10mm per year just because they've racked up time in the game. Since the player's union argument is largely going to be based on the premise that the quality of the game is being compromised because these talented youngsters spend a few additional weeks in the minors, what about the number of veterans who stand to lose their jobs to cut costs...despite possibly contributing more to the standard of play on the field in those same few weeks?

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
There will be tons of reports like 'Team X & Team Y have had discussions involving Players A & B for Players C & D' (ala the Cubs/Rays reports from earlier). A couple people have mentioned that the Cubs are interested in Kevin Gausman (who isn't? top of rotation potential though he has so far not been very good at MLB level) and that the Orioles like both Javy Baez & Jorge Soler.

I don't know who they will end up with I am sure the Cubs will eventually land a talented young rotational piece in trade this offseason. If they don't it won't be for lack of trying. Gausman is certainly a guy with tremendous upside. Wouldn't hate it. Just as much potential of him becoming an ace as Baez or Soler becoming a superstar. Don't know why the O's would move Gausman though. They actually need to acquire starting pitching, not trade it away. Plus, they should be scared to death of the Cubs getting Arrieta part two.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
Chapman deal is held up because he has a domestic violence charge hanging over him.

I did not think pitchers were very good hitters. HEYOOOOOOOOO

Jiggyfly

Banned
Getting Chapman is a big deal for the Dodgers, but they had a weak starting rotation before Greinke left, now with him in Arizona it is even worse. Signing Iwakuma will help, but their rotation still sucks. I would have used the prospects they gave up for Chapman to get a starter...Janssen was excellent for them last year, now he is a set up guy? They chase names.
There is talk they might move Chapman to a starter which he was originally.

Rev

Staff member
There is talk they might move Chapman to a starter which he was originally.
Being a fan of a team that ruined Feliz I highly suggest not doing that.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Being a fan of a team that ruined Feliz I highly suggest not doing that.
Yeah...I think that would be silly. If they wanted to go after a starter, Chapman should be way down the list.

Rev

Staff member
Ben Zobrist has reached an agreement with the Chicago Cubs on a four-year, $56 million deal, according to Fox Sports’ Ken Rosenthal.

The Cubs would need to move an infielder in order to make room for Zobrist, and they’re in talks to send Starlin Castro to the Yankees, according to multiple reports.

http://www.si.com/mlb/2015/12/08/ben...ls-free-agency

Rev

Staff member
The Arizona Diamondbacks have agreed to a deal that will land them starting pitcher Shelby Miller from the Atlanta Braves.

Nick Piecoro @nickpiecoro
Hearing from multiple sources Ender Inciarte, Aaron Blair and Dansby Swanson are involved in the Shelby Miller deal.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Ben Zobrist has reached an agreement with the Chicago Cubs on a four-year, $56 million deal, according to Fox Sports’ Ken Rosenthal.

The Cubs would need to move an infielder in order to make room for Zobrist, and they’re in talks to send Starlin Castro to the Yankees, according to multiple reports.

http://www.si.com/mlb/2015/12/08/ben...ls-free-agency
I like it. Zobrist is old and isn't going to be a great player going forward but he gives them a legit lead off hitter for the next couple of seasons. They really needed a contact hitter with on base skills and he gives them that. The money really isn't bad. I think he'll be an every day player for the first couple years of the contract (mostly at 2B) and can return to super utility/pinch hitter type of role the last couple seasons as he moves into his late 30s.

Castro may be a able to turn it around in NY but he was below/barely above replacement level 2 of the past 3 seasons. He had a bit of a resurgence at the end of last season and he is better at 2B than SS. I'm not worried about him becoming a superstar or hitting > .300 again. He has very little plate discipline/doesn't draw walks and the organization is trying to cut down on those types of players in the lineup. Cubs got a decent young/cheap pitcher in Adam Warren for him but mostly it was about dumping Castro's $ once he became expendable.

Really would like to see the Cubs go all in and sign Jason Heyward but I have my doubts they'll be able to afford him now. They do need to fill the hole in CF somehow. Heyward could do it for a year or two then move back to RF if they do manage to sign him, but if not I just hope they get a good glove out there.

Last edited:

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
The Arizona Diamondbacks have agreed to a deal that will land them starting pitcher Shelby Miller from the Atlanta Braves.

Nick Piecoro @nickpiecoro
Hearing from multiple sources Ender Inciarte, Aaron Blair and Dansby Swanson are involved in the Shelby Miller deal.

Pretty hefty haul for ATL. Cubs were interested but apparently were not willing to meet ATL's asking price. I can see why now.

Last edited:

Rev

Staff member
Pretty hefty haul for ATL. Cubs were interested but apparently were not willing to meet ATL's asking price. I can see why now.
Can't post the follow-up tweet right now but it says: DBacks say that haul wasn't close enough to get Fernandez from Miami.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I like it. Zobrist is old and isn't going to be a great player going forward but he gives them a legit lead off hitter for the next couple of seasons. They really needed a contact hitter with on base skills and he gives them that. The money really isn't bad. I think he'll be an every day player for the first couple years of the contract (mostly at 2B) and can return to super utility/pinch hitter type of role the last couple seasons as he moves into his late 30s.

Castro may be a able to turn it around in NY but he was below/barely above replacement level 2 of the past 3 seasons. He had a bit of a resurgence at the end of last season and he is better at 2B than SS. I'm not worried about him becoming a superstar or hitting > .300 again. He has very little plate discipline/doesn't draw walks and the organization is trying to cut down on those types of players in the lineup. Cubs got a decent young/cheap pitcher in Adam Warren for him but mostly it was about dumping Castro's $ once he became expendable.

Really would like to see the Cubs go all in and sign Jason Heyward but I have my doubts they'll be able to afford him now. They do need to fill the hole in CF somehow. Heyward could do it for a year or two then move back to RF if they do manage to sign him, but if not I just hope they get a good glove out there.
I would have liked Zobrist, but the Mets still have to watch their spending. Seeing all the contracts pitchers are getting now...I dread in a couple years when our young starters are looking for long term contracts. The Mets might have to start budgeting for that now. The thing is though, they took off after they added the power bat in Cespedes...as we are currently constructed, Dilson Herrera is taking over for Murphy at 2B and the OF looks to be Conforto, Lagares (possible LH platoon partner), and Granderson. We'll be counting on Conforto and Duda to be the primary power...and although I am excited to see Conforto's growth, I think we will have trouble scoring runs again this upcoming year.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think Atlanta raped them....getting Swanson is huge, but Webb and Inciarte are also legit gets for them.

Atl got a package like Miller is an ace...and I don't see him as more than a solid #2 or #3 starter.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I guess the Cubs just wanted to get rid of Castro because they didn't get much for him. It will be interesting to see what the Yankees do, Gregorious was pretty good for them last year.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Can't post the follow-up tweet right now but it says: DBacks say that haul wasn't close enough to get Fernandez from Miami.
Yeah, I read that Miami wanted Urias, Seager, Pederson, and 3 more prospects. :picard

Just go ahead and say he isn't available.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I think Atlanta raped them....getting Swanson is huge, but Webb and Inciarte are also legit gets for them.

Atl got a package like Miller is an ace...and I don't see him as more than a solid #2 or #3 starter.
It was a raping. Totally agree with your assessment of Miller. #2 at best, probably more of a #3 going forward. He is cheap for a few more years though. AZ is going all in, obviously. Have to try and win it all during Goldschimdt's peak and before Greinke starts to decline.

Top Bottom