User Tag List

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Feel good thread...

Hybrid View

Feel good thread...

This thread is reserved for good things happening around the world. Keep your arguing out of here.

=====

Billionaire Mike Ilitch, who was Little Caesars founder and former owner of MLB’s Detroit Tigers and NHL’s Detroit Red Wings, quietly paid Rosa Parks’ rent for many years. Goodwill revelations come days after Ilitch’s death.

Ilitch did this in secret after he heard that she was struggling financially. Props to the dude for doing the right thing for Parks.

2. The following 5 users like this post:

Quote Originally Posted by skidadl View Post
    This thread is reserved for good things happening around the world. Keep your arguing out of here.

=====

Billionaire Mike Ilitch, who was Little Caesars founder and former owner of MLB’s Detroit Tigers and NHL’s Detroit Red Wings, quietly paid Rosa Parks’ rent for many years. Goodwill revelations come days after Ilitch’s death.

Ilitch did this in secret after he heard that she was struggling financially. Props to the dude for doing the right thing for Parks.
    Major Props!!

The bar is set for the rest of you.
    #Fire Garrett

Great idea for a thread.
    ---------------------------

Italian teams restore damaged busts from ancient Syrian city

Today

ROME (AP) — Italian art conservationists have restored two funerary busts from the ancient city of Palmyra, Syria that were badly damaged by members of the Islamic State group.

Restorers in Rome used a 3-D printer to generate replicas of the missing parts of the busts, which date from the 2nd or 3rd centuries A.D. They attached the replacement parts with magnets.

After Palmyra fell to Islamic State militants in 2015, extremists destroyed ancient temples for which the UNESCO heritage site is famous.

Restorer Daria Montemaggiori says she was "filled with anguish" when she saw damaged busts and was "happy to collaborate in canceling out this massacre."

The restored busts are to be returned to a museum in Damascus at the end of the month.

5. The following 3 users like this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kbrown View Post
    Great idea for a thread.
    ---------------------------

Italian teams restore damaged busts from ancient Syrian city

Today

ROME (AP) — Italian art conservationists have restored two funerary busts from the ancient city of Palmyra, Syria that were badly damaged by members of the Islamic State group.

Restorers in Rome used a 3-D printer to generate replicas of the missing parts of the busts, which date from the 2nd or 3rd centuries A.D. They attached the replacement parts with magnets.

After Palmyra fell to Islamic State militants in 2015, extremists destroyed ancient temples for which the UNESCO heritage site is famous.

Restorer Daria Montemaggiori says she was "filled with anguish" when she saw damaged busts and was "happy to collaborate in canceling out this massacre."

The restored busts are to be returned to a museum in Damascus at the end of the month.
    Nice!

One-armed Knife Sharpener Iamtdg's Avatar
    I effing love this idea for a thread.

One day on campus there was this blind guy that had accidentally gotten on the wrong bus out in the city, and ended up on campus. When he got off the bus, he had no idea where he was. He wandered around for a bit, until this student ran across him. The student could see that the man was confused, so he went up to him and asked him where he was trying to go. Turns out he was trying to get to a laundromat in one of the neighborhoods near campus. The student called our office and eventually got to me. I sent over one of my shuttles to get him (I was headed to a meeting I couldn't miss). When the shuttle got there, the student got on it with the guy just to make sure he got to where he was going.

The student missed a final because he was helping this guy. He would have failed the last credit hours he needed to graduate because he was being a good samaritan. I only found out about it because it just so happens that the professor from that class also sits on my bike committee, and we had a meeting the next day. It came up, and I explained to the prof what had happened, and why he had missed his test (apparently, the kid didn't use it as an excuse). The professor allowed him to take the test after the fact, and the kid graduated on schedule.
    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

8. The following 3 users like this post:

I saw this one a couple days ago:

Husband's devotion to his first, and only, love carries on
    By Susan Carroll, Houston ChronicleFebruary 13, 2017

CONROE - Nearly every day, sometimes twice a day, for the last 2 ½ years, Jake Reissig has visited his wife's grave.

But after the 88-year-old came down with pneumonia three weeks ago, his doctors were adamant that he had to stay home, where it was warm. He convinced his daughter Cheryl to drive him to the cemetery about a week ago, but she didn't dare let him out of the car.

On Monday, the eve of Valentine's Day, Jake combed his wispy, white hair and put on a pair of crisp, khaki pants. He was ready when Cheryl came for him.

"I'm feeling good," he said. "I'm looking forward to going to see Momma."

Jake had known Elizabeth "Betty" Reissig nearly all his life. They grew up down the street from each other in the small town of Slaton, about 15 miles from Lubbock. He caught her staring at him one time after church, he said, and then she caught him staring back. She was 15. He was 18.

"We clicked," he said. "We never looked back. I never dated another girl."

They had a big Catholic wedding when she turned 18. That was followed by the births of Gary, Joe, Cindy, Tracy, Cheryl, Jeff, Diane, Roger and, finally, David.

With nine kids, she'd sometimes laugh when people asked what she did for a living.

She still managed to help him with his home-building business, picking out wallpaper for a new house with a baby on her hip, he said.

They moved to Houston in the late 1960s, but it was too big. So in 1971, they drove through Conroe and fell in love with its small-town feel, he said. They built a house and eventually bought a plot of land near a lake, hoping to someday build a little getaway cabin.

Sometimes, they'd drive out there and sit on the empty lot and watch the sunset on the water. But they never got around to building the cabin, he said, without a hint of regret.

"My family is my legacy," Betty said before she passed.

She was so easygoing, he said, and sweetly sentimental. After she died, he found little notes from her all over the house. One was stuck to a framed photo, where Betty had full lips and perfectly coiffed hair. "I'd choose you again," the note said.

"It meant more to me than anything else," he said.

Jake's youngest son, David, carried his dad's black stool to the gravesite on Monday morning.

Sometimes, Jake sits there for hours.

"We talk about our good times. I try to keep it a happy thing. Sometimes, I break down."

Jake hadn't been able to tend to the roses in his garden because of his pneumonia, but David found a few deep red rose buds, his mother's favorite, and snipped some baby's breath and ferns. Jake settled onto his stool and trimmed the lower leaves from the rose stems, putting them in a white bud vase.

"Two years," he said to Betty, "and six months."

For a long time, Cheryl said, her father was so sad. But he went to a grief support group at church, and has tried to let go, slowly.

He realizes, he said, just how lucky he is. Eight of his nine children live nearby. Every night, one of them has dinner with him. He has 17 grandchildren and so many great-grandchildren that he stopped counting.

"We had such a good life," he said. "I'm going to accept she's gone and do good things for the rest of my life. They say the little things make a difference."

When he waters his wife's grave, he always turns a hose on a veteran's a few spots away.

On Monday, he sat with Betty for a bit, as his two children stood nearby. When he got up to leave, Cheryl asked him, gently, "Do you want to do your kiss?"

If she let him forget, she said, he'd want to come back right away.

He walked back to the grave and kissed two of his fingers. Then he touched her photo on the tombstone.
    2015 DCC Fantasy Football League Champion

10. The following 2 users like this post:

One-armed Knife Sharpener Iamtdg's Avatar
    I'm not crying, you're crying!
    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

This is awesome! I'm not sure how to embed the video, so pardon the oops....

https://www.facebook.com/TheRealMike...7382278271911/

13. The following user likes this post:

Quote Originally Posted by skidadl View Post
    This is awesome! I'm not sure how to embed the video, so pardon the oops....

https://www.facebook.com/TheRealMike...7382278271911/
    Girl Scout cookies were the bane of my existence while I was stationed overseas. I was staying in great shape eating 800-1400 calories a day, running every day, the I'd get a care package with those damn things and end up eating a week's worth of calories in one shameful sitting.

15. The following 2 users like this post:

Quote Originally Posted by townsend View Post
    Girl Scout cookies were the bane of my existence while I was stationed overseas. I was staying in great shape eating 800-1400 calories a day, running every day, the I'd get a care package with those damn things and end up eating a week's worth of calories in one shameful sitting.
    Holy shit you must be a tiny guy.