Who deserves credit for Dak's sensational rookie campaign ?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This is such a weird time. Dogs loving cats and birds loving cats. Next thing we know we will all be in agreement. #apocalypse

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
So we just forget about all of the bad Tony moments and just think he will do everything Dak has but on a higher level?

Romo was his own worst enemy at times I can't count how many times he has thrown int's on 1st and 2nd downs when we were ahead of the chains or just starting to get momentum.

He would also turn some of those quick decisions into int's, which is never factored into the equation.
Jiggy, I don't want to start down this road again as I agree Dak is the best option when you consider all factors including the future.

I disagree on the ints because when his back was right he didn't throw a lot of them. His overall 113 rating in 2014 included three bad-back games. If you remove those games from the equation I think you'd see a much higher average rating.

With Romo it only comes down to his back. This team is as good as it gets supporting him otherwise.

Dak has been very good, but he has been developing with a near perfect offense around him.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Jiggy, I don't want to start down this road again as I agree Dak is the best option when you consider all factors including the future.

I disagree on the ints because when his back was right he didn't throw a lot of them. His overall 113 rating in 2014 included three bad-back games. If you remove those games from the equation I think you'd see a much higher average rating.

With Romo it only comes down to his back. This team is as good as it gets supporting him otherwise.

Dak has been very good, but he has been developing with a near perfect offense around him.
That's not true at all, Ravi.

Nothing was wrong with his back in 2011 when he had 2 huge turnovers in the 4th quarter of the Jets game to heavily contribute to that loss.

Nothing was wrong with his back in that same season vs the Lions when he single-handedly threw that game away by throwing 3 2nd half INT's.

Nothing was wrong with his back in the 2012 season finale at Washington when he threw 3 unforced INT's and lost that game.

Nothing was wrong with his back when he had that awful 2nd half vs the Packers in 2013 where his mistakes crushed us.

Look, 2014 showed us how good Romo could be with a great supporting cast and running game. He was so good and so clutch in 2014 that I no longer had that impending doom feeling about him. I also have no doubt that had he been 100% healthy and capable, he would've had a great year this year as well. But let's not make hyperbolic statement about Romo only making mistakes when he isn't healthy.

Mistakes, errors, and turnovers have always been a part of Romo's game even in good seasons. It's just one of those take the good with the bad kinda deals.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
How much are we really missing with Prescott in comparison to Romo to begin with?

In 2014 Romo had 34 touchdowns to 9 interceptions, so far Prescott has 23 total touchdowns (18 passing/5 rushing) to 2 interceptions, Prescott's completion % is about 2% lower than Romo's, while his YPA is 8.3 compared to Romo's 8.5.

On top of that, Prescott is actually attempting about 1 more pass per game, so this isn't just a function of the running game and dumbing things down for Prescott, he's throwing the ball just as much as Romo did in 2014.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
That's not true at all, Ravi.

Nothing was wrong with his back in 2011 when he had 2 huge turnovers in the 4th quarter of the Jets game to heavily contribute to that loss.

Nothing was wrong with his back in that same season vs the Lions when he single-handedly threw that game away by throwing 3 2nd half INT's.

Nothing was wrong with his back in the 2012 season finale at Washington when he threw 3 unforced INT's and lost that game.

Nothing was wrong with his back when he had that awful 2nd half vs the Packers in 2013 where his mistakes crushed us.

Look, 2014 showed us how good Romo could be with a great supporting cast and running game. He was so good and so clutch in 2014 that I no longer had that impending doom feeling about him. I also have no doubt that had he been 100% healthy and capable, he would've had a great year this year as well. But let's not make hyperbolic statement about Romo only making mistakes when he isn't healthy.

Mistakes, errors, and turnovers have always been a part of Romo's game even in good seasons. It's just one of those take the good with the bad kinda deals.
We hold Romo more responsible for the team's failures than we praise him for holding this shit team together all those years.

When we started taking the OL seriously in the draft, his game really started improving. That's no coincidence.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I also have to give credit to Garrett. Took a little while, but his qualities as a leader have grown. He and Romo were very close, so he was quick to praise him, not so quick to get after him. I just don't think he had objectivity when it came to him. Garrett stating that Dak would not be on a short leash had to help Dak get more and more confident. Romo was established when Garrett got here, so Garrett almost had to defer to him. Romo has always prided himself on making adjustments and audibles...with as much freedom as he had, I thnk that was detrimental to him. Dak seems to have less options to audible too, which has made him more decisive, which would have benefited Romo when he was starting.

dallen

Senior Tech
I also have to give credit to Garrett. Took a little while, but his qualities as a leader have grown. He and Romo were very close, so he was quick to praise him, not so quick to get after him. I just don't think he had objectivity when it came to him. Garrett stating that Dak would not be on a short leash had to help Dak get more and more confident. Romo was established when Garrett got here, so Garrett almost had to defer to him. Romo has always prided himself on making adjustments and audibles...with as much freedom as he had, I thnk that was detrimental to him. Dak seems to have less options to audible too, which has made him more decisive, which would have benefited Romo when he was starting.
Obviously he's gotten the results the year which speaks for itself. But he also seems to have made a lot of progress in figuring out game day decisions. Yeah sometimes we still throw too much in the red zone, but when's the last time he challenged a call to make a 3rd and 8 a 3rd and 7? Or wasted all our timeouts in the first quarter? He could still stand to get better at clock management near the end of the half, but he has been a good coach this year.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Obviously he's gotten the results the year which speaks for itself. But he also seems to have made a lot of progress in figuring out game day decisions. Yeah sometimes we still throw too much in the red zone, but when's the last time he challenged a call to make a 3rd and 8 a 3rd and 7? Or wasted all our timeouts in the first quarter? He could still stand to get better at clock management near the end of the half, but he has been a good coach this year.
The OT win vs Philly win me over. That was a Jimmy Johnson-like coaches game.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
No QB could seriously succeed with the OL's Dallas fielded in 2011 and 2012. Dak would not have developed on those teams. Romo made stars of scrubs like Miles Austin and Laurent Robinson in those lean years because he had no other choice.

Romo may have contributed to the pass-happiness, but when the coaches pathologically refuse to run the football (ala 2013) culpability has to start with them. You can't keep riding the same horse. At one point in the 2013 Denver game they called 17 passes in a row. I've NEVER seen that. Even the 2013 Broncos ran the ball at least once per set of downs.

2014 Romo is the standard by which I'm gauging.

That's not logical. 2014 Romo is the standard because it's closest to the supporting cast we have now.

You are taking memories of bad games with average supporting casts from years ago and projecting them onto his play with this team this season. Roger Staubach couldn't have won a game with Alex Barron blocking the other team's primary pass rusher and a worn out Marion Barber in the backfield.

In those circumstances, Dak would never have developed. He'd lose the opportunity.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
:picard

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I was responding to Ace's post about Romo, not Dak, so chill.

I'm absolutely sure Romo would come in, get strip-sacked, throw 5 picks, break his back and ribs, fumble a hold on a key FG attempt, alienate the media, and <Insert Replay of Random Bad moment from 13 year career here> all in the same quarter.

townsend

Banned
I was responding to Ace's post about Romo, not Dak, so chill.

I'm absolutely sure Romo would come in, get strip-sacked, throw 5 picks, break his back and ribs, fumble a hold on a key FG attempt, alienate the media, and <Insert Replay of Random Bad moment from 13 year career here> all in the same quarter.
Don't forget wear hat backwards and fly to Cancun.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You also forgot to mention him saying "if that's the worst thing that happens..." after it's all said and done.
Everyone knows that when it's all said and done, it's all said and it's all done.

Top Bottom