Who deserves credit for Dak's sensational rookie campaign ?

p1_

DCC 4Life
Linehan? or the much maligned Wade Wilson ?
Discuss...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Linehan? or the much maligned Wade Wilson ?
Discuss...
I would think that a position coach would work more closely with the players than a coordinator.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Offensive coordinator Scott Linehan was sure to let the Cowboys quarterback coach know how much he had been missed.
"I told Wade the quarterbacks never looked better," Linehan said.
"That doesn't surprise me," Wilson responded.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I would think that a position coach would work more closely with the players than a coordinator.
It's a question that can never be answered. You also have to factor in the time that Wilson missed during training camp. Linehan worked directly with Prescott then. I'm sure it's a combination of all three, though.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It's a question that can never be answered. You also have to factor in the time that Wilson missed during training camp. Linehan worked directly with Prescott then. I'm sure it's a combination of all three, though.
True but as you said it was two weeks and at that point Romo was getting most of the work as I recall.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think Dak lit a fire under the coaches, especially Wilson.

Romo is going to be relatively set in his ways. They have molded Dak, and he's exceeded expectations in response.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Romo is going to be relatively set in his ways. They have molded Dak, and he's exceeded expectations in response.
Not to mention Romo's constant bullshitting around at the line in an attempt to change plays.

In just the first two games of 2015 I was losing my mind almost on every drive with how often Romo would run the play clock down to 1 in a frantic attempt to change the play and maneuver guys around the formation. How often has that happened this year?

Almost never.

It's impossible to tell what impact that has in general but I definitely think there is a reason the offense seemingly has run much smoother over the years (not just with Prescott but with Kitna going back to 2010 as well) when Romo isn't back there. Romo has been given way too much leeway over the years when it comes to changing plays.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I would give the bulk of the credit to Linehan. He has been excellent at calling plays this year and has put Prescott in lots of good spots. He does not put too much on him until he has to. As the season rolls on the more responsibility Dak gets.

Linehan has also played to his strengths...calling roll outs that basically give him the option to throw or run. It is fun to watch.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I would give the bulk of the credit to Linehan. He has been excellent at calling plays this year and has put Prescott in lots of good spots. He does not put too much on him until he has to. As the season rolls on the more responsibility Dak gets.

Linehan has also played to his strengths...calling roll outs that basically give him the option to throw or run. It is fun to watch.
I tend to agree. Some credit has to go to Wilson as his QB coach but I really think Linehan has done an outstanding job playing to his strengths and putting him in position to succeed.

Of course these kinds of results would not be happening without Dak's talent/aptitude/work ethic and a hell of an OL/run game, but the coaching staff and Linehan in particular certainly deserve some props.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Not to mention Romo's constant bullshitting around at the line in an attempt to change plays.

In just the first two games of 2015 I was losing my mind almost on every drive with how often Romo would run the play clock down to 1 in a frantic attempt to change the play and maneuver guys around the formation. How often has that happened this year?

Almost never.

It's impossible to tell what impact that has in general but I definitely think there is a reason the offense seemingly has run much smoother over the years (not just with Prescott but with Kitna going back to 2010 as well) when Romo isn't back there. Romo has been given way too much leeway over the years when it comes to changing plays.
I have been saying this since the 3rd game.

Dak looks so much more decisive running this offense and the offense just looks smoother overall.

That's why I don't understand how people think you could just plug Romo back in without any disruption.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Dak looks so much more decisive running this offense and the offense just looks smoother overall.

That's why I don't understand how people think you could just plug Romo back in without any disruption.
Yea, it's the same thing with the bootlegs, play-action and roll outs, that was something a bunch of us here have been wanting to see for years but it just seems like Romo isn't particularly comfortable running that type of action.

With that said, Romo would bring other strengths that Prescott doesn't, like being able to see a wide open Dez streaking down the field, which Prescott has missed on a few occasions this year.

But at any rate, that ship has sailed and for whatever reason the offense is running much smoother, and is arguably more effective than it was in 2014.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That is because they are fan boiz who honestly never saw the negatives with Romo. Like Simp said, he tried to do to much and was allowed to do it.

The team went as he went.

Bad Tony? Loss.

Good Tony? Sometimes win. Sometimes Lose.

He has rarely shown anything close to consistency that Prescott has shown thus far, dumbed down O or not.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

Dak has been decisive because he's following pretty much exactly what the coaches tell him to do. Certainly at first he didn't know any better and rightly trusted the coaches.

This will change the more he learns.

It's worked out for us because
- Dak ain't throwing picks
- Defenses have to cover the whole field to stop Elliott, Witten, and the WR's.

Dak can quickly make a decision and get some yards. It works because we burn clock and don't turnover the football.

I think Romo would be able to play without any disruption at all. He'd turn some of those quick decisions into break out deep shots.

We might score more, but I don't know that for sure. That's why I'm fine with use staying with Dak. He's the future, after all.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

That's going to take some digesting. The rookie comes in and lights a fire under the coaching staff. I'm accoustumed to it being the other way around.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That's going to take some digesting. The rookie comes in and lights a fire under the coaching staff. I'm accoustumed to it being the other way around.
Ask any teacher what kind of student is more inspiring, the know-it-all who scores well regardless of what you say, or the student who wants to learn and turns exactly what you teach him into an equally high score or better?

What's happening in Dallas is truly a team effort revolving around the OL 1st, Elliott 2nd, and Dak 3rd. But the coaches are more involved than ever, and I think the rookies are the biggest reason why.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I was under the impression that the coaches were pretty involved before but there wasn't much to work with.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dak has been decisive because he's following pretty much exactly what the coaches tell him to do. Certainly at first he didn't know any better and rightly trusted the coaches.

Dak can quickly make a decision and get some yards. It works because we burn clock and don't turnover the football.

I think Romo would be able to play without any disruption at all. He'd turn some of those quick decisions into break out deep shots.

We might score more, but I don't know that for sure. That's why I'm fine with use staying with Dak. He's the future, after all.
And INTs, I agree.

Jiggyfly

Banned

So we just forget about all of the bad Tony moments and just think he will do everything Dak has but on a higher level?

Romo was his own worst enemy at times I can't count how many times he has thrown int's on 1st and 2nd downs when we were ahead of the chains or just starting to get momentum.

He would also turn some of those quick decisions into int's, which is never factored into the equation.

Top Bottom