Schefter: Dallas could take another look at Manziel

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I disagree on both points.

Romo, for example.
Romo>>Stafford

Dallas re-signed Romo. Detroit might let Stafford go, which I think was c-rock's point. If he's let go by the team that fricking drafted him that desperately needs a good QB, he's probably not a franchise-carrier.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Romo>>Stafford

Dallas re-signed Romo. Detroit might let Stafford go, which I think was c-rock's point. If he's let go by the team that fricking drafted him that desperately needs a good QB, he's probably not a franchise-carrier.
I agree Romo is better. My point is that Romo is a good QB that has not been able to carry a franchise.

To me, a QB who can carry a franchise is elite, not good. And those guys are very hard to find.

Luckily, a good QB is enough if you draft well. The formula is: good QB, plus balance on offense, plus a good pass rush, plus someone who can cover. You have those things, you can compete.

And for the good QB you are going to pay through the nose sooner or later, because there are at most about 15 of them at any given time.

Which is why you can't worry about what you are paying your good QB once you find him, because there aren't nearly enough to go around. That doesn't mean don't try to save as much as you can on the QB contract. But what it does mean is you can't let the expense keep you from signing a good QB. Too many teams are struggling just to find one in the first place.

Whether Stafford is a good QB is a separate debate, but I believe he is. I thinkif Detroit consistently provided him with a balanced offense and good defense (and good coaching), they'd be consistent playoff contenders. And honestly, you might say the same about Romo.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Joe Fan has been referred to for years and now he is here. How many sites can say they have a Joe Fan?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
In a sense, yes. But carried them where? 8-8?

The one year they gave him balance on offense and defensive turnovers, they were a title contender.
He has gone to the playoffs multiple times. He has won a couple of playoff games.

Stafford has a 84.6 career QB rating. I think he has some talent but he is the type of QB where everything has to go right for him to have a shot at making the playoffs. That isn't Tony Romo. That's Jay Cutler.

I think we have very different opinions of Stafford, that's all. If this was young Drew Brees as a free agent again, I'd break the bank.

data

Forbes #1
Stafford with the worlds greatest OL, though.

All that time to survey the field!

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
If we go a veteran route I'd prefer Stafford over the talk of Manziel, RGIII, Kaepernick, etc.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
If the Bears dump Cutler I wonder if anyone wants him as a starter or if he's fallen into backup territory.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If the Bears dump Cutler I wonder if anyone wants him as a starter or if he's fallen into backup territory.
He has actually done okay this year. Amazing what working with Adam Gase versus whatever schlub Lovie Smith stuck him with.

Top Bottom