DMN: The dawn of "Jumbo Joe'' in the Cowboys offense

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The dawn of "Jumbo Joe'' in the Cowboys offense

By David Moore and Kate Hairopoulos

FRISCO -- Tight end Geoff Swaim was doing a nice job of blocking for the Cowboys before he was lost for the season with a torn pectoral in the win over Pittsburgh.

Dallas has compensated the past two games by using Gavin Escobar more and inserting backup center Joe Looney as the second tight end in obvious run situations.

"He's done a nice job,'' head coach Jason Garrett said. "Joe's a professional. He's really embraced that role.''

It appears the 6-foot-3, 315-pound interior lineman has really embraced telling officials that No. 73 reports to the game as an eligible receiver.

"The third tight end role has gone to Jumbo Joe,'' Garrett said. "And he's really embracing it, great animation when he tells the official that he's in the game. It's really fun to watch.

"But again it's a great example of a guy understanding what his role is, understanding what his responsibility is and embracing it. And to have a physical presence there, another offensive lineman, that certainly helps you.''

Looney said he just has to make sure he's really animated so the official sees him. He also pleads his case to Garrett that he could be a viable option as a receiver.

"Just in case I get that pass you know, I don't want it to come back," Looney said Sunday. "You guys need to pitch it to him [Garrett]. ...'You guys need to give it to him.' I try to go in there and do just as good of a job as Geoff did."

Looney said Garrett gave him the "Jumbo" nickname in meetings a couple of weeks ago.

"It spread like wildfire," Looney said. "I embrace it. It's a good nickname."

dallen

Senior Tech
Every Super Bowl team should have a Vrabel or a Refrigerator Perry...

Top Bottom