Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
In the Cowboys' world, Sunday is Wednesday
10:00 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Today is Wednesday. Never mind that the calendar says it is Sunday. Don’t pay attention to those NFL games you will watch later today.

In the Dallas Cowboys’ world, it is Wednesday.

With their first trip to US Bank Field looming Sunday, err, Thursday to take on the Minnesota Vikings, the Cowboys are attempting to trick their minds this week. In a normal Sunday-to-Sunday week, this is a Wednesday.

“We’re just going to treat it like a normal week,” right guard Ronald Leary said. “It’s a regular seven-day week.”

That’s one way to look at it. After the Cowboys beat the Washington Redskins on Thanksgiving, Jason Garrett was actually spinning the calendar forward.

“[Friday] is Monday for us,” Garrett said. “We’ll get the 10 days after that one. We just have to get back to work and get our eyes on Minnesota quickly.”

Garrett started this talk last week, when his team had only four days between games. The real trick was last Wednesday, when the Cowboys held their “Friday” practice but saw things turn into a “Saturday” on their drive to the team hotel, the Gaylord Texan.

It might seem confusing to those outside the Cowboys circle, but it makes perfect sense to everybody within the club.

“It’s better than going Sunday to Thursday, so we’ll take it, man,” cornerback Brandon Carr said.

The Cowboys are getting ready to play their third game in a 12-day span. The last time they did this, in 2014, they lost on Thanksgiving to the Philadelphia Eagles but had a dominating performance the following Thursday against the Chicago Bears.

In 2007, the Cowboys had a similar three-game run and beat the Redskins and the New York Jets before essentially clinching the best record with a Thursday night win against the Green Bay Packers at Texas Stadium.

The Cowboys, winners of 10 in a row, can all but clinch a playoff spot with a win Thursday against the Vikings and inch closer to the best record in the conference.

Winning helps players deal with the disruption in the rhythm of a season. All season the Cowboys have lauded their chemistry and the leadership provided by veterans such as Jason Witten, who has gone through this three-games-in-12-days span twice before.

“The coaching staff and players and our staff members come to work every day, and they want to be a part of something special,” Garrett said. “It’s a great culture and great environment to be around on a daily basis. There is certainly no question that winning is a good thing. But again, as much as anything else, it’s just about the guys we have and how we go about it every day. Our guys do a great job of focusing on the task at hand and going to work. When you get a bunch of guys that want to be part of a team, that love coaching and playing football, good things are going to happen.”

So today is Wednesday and Monday is Thursday and Tuesday is Friday. It just makes sense.

“They throw these schedules at you and it’s part of the game,” Carr said. “It’s a challenge. It’s a challenge to play the game. It’s a challenge just to get ready each and every week. They throw wrinkles in as far as -- what’s this, three games in 12 days? You’ve got to go do it. You get through this one, get through the storm, get through this hard stretch, you can look back and tell stories about it. It’s something makes us bond and become closer.”

Cotton

Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Norv Turner: Mike Zimmer and I had “different ideas”

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 27, 2016, 11:36 AM EST

Former Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner, who abruptly quit as the team began to struggle this season, says he and head coach Mike Zimmer had opposing points of view that couldn’t be bridged.

“Mike and I just had different ideas about what we needed to do and how we needed to do it,” Turner told Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times. “It wasn’t going to work, so I removed myself from it.”

Although Turner did not say exactly what those different ideas were, the combination of those comments with Zimmer’s past statement that he needed to get back to doing things “my way” suggests that both men saw the differences between them as significant.

Once among the most respected offensive coaches in the NFL, Turner indicated that he is not retired and isn’t done coaching. He’s just done coaching for Zimmer.

“I got fired with three games to go in Washington [at the end of the 2000 season], and that was weird,” he said. “But this is totally different. I’ve talked to some of my friends who have retired, and they say, ‘Retirement’s not that bad. You should make sure you give it a real good look.’ But no.”

So don’t be surprised if Turner is back in the NFL next year, on some other staff, where he and the head coach agree on the right way to do things.
-------------

I guess Zimmer wanted an even suckier offense with Shurmur's take what the D gives you fag attack?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Norv Turner: Mike Zimmer and I had “different ideas”

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 27, 2016, 11:36 AM EST

Former Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner, who abruptly quit as the team began to struggle this season, says he and head coach Mike Zimmer had opposing points of view that couldn’t be bridged.

“Mike and I just had different ideas about what we needed to do and how we needed to do it,” Turner told Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times. “It wasn’t going to work, so I removed myself from it.”

Although Turner did not say exactly what those different ideas were, the combination of those comments with Zimmer’s past statement that he needed to get back to doing things “my way” suggests that both men saw the differences between them as significant.

Once among the most respected offensive coaches in the NFL, Turner indicated that he is not retired and isn’t done coaching. He’s just done coaching for Zimmer.

“I got fired with three games to go in Washington [at the end of the 2000 season], and that was weird,” he said. “But this is totally different. I’ve talked to some of my friends who have retired, and they say, ‘Retirement’s not that bad. You should make sure you give it a real good look.’ But no.”

So don’t be surprised if Turner is back in the NFL next year, on some other staff, where he and the head coach agree on the right way to do things.
-------------

I guess Zimmer wanted an even suckier offense with Shurmur's take what the D gives you fag attack?
So if our offensive coorinator leaves for a head coaching job after this season...

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Wilcox should play but if for some reason he doesn't, Church for Wilcox is an upgrade.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:lol My first thought also.
I mean Jerry has already tried to collect the early 90s Cowboys as much as possible. Wouldn't surprise me if he tried to add another piece from those days. Linehan has been great this year and I really don't want him to leave but the guy is running one of the best offenses in football with 2 rookies being his best players. Hard to imagine an NFL team won't come calling for him. This is his second unstoppable offense in a 3 year span.

Cotton

Staff member
Mike Zimmer: Ezekiel Elliott reminds him of Emmitt Smith and other similarities to 1990s Cowboys
By David Moore , Staff Writer

Minnesota coach Mike Zimmer says Ezekiel Elliott reminds him of Emmitt Smith, calls Tyron Smith the best offensive lineman in the NFL and, since you ask, he does see similarities between these Cowboys and the teams in the 1990s that were on a Super Bowl run.

"Yeah, it does remind me a lot,'' Zimmer said.

Zimmer spent 13 years on the Cowboys coaching staff. He began as a defensive assistant and then became the defensive backs coach on those teams in the '90s.

His assessment of this Cowboys team heading into Thursday's game in Minnesota begins up front.

"The offensive line is unbelievable," Zimmer said. "They're by far the best in the league that I've seen.

"Smith is the best lineman in the league by far. But they've got a lot of big, physical guys."

Smith and quarterback Troy Aikman lined up behind that dominant offensive line in the '90s. These Cowboys go with two rookies in Elliott and quarterback Dak Prescott.

"The back is special," Zimmer said. "He's a physical, impact player that can make all the cuts. He's great.

"He reminds me of Emmitt in a lot of ways. He's got speed to the perimeter, he catches the ball well and he's good in protection.

"Obviously the quarterback is younger, but he's making a lot of really, really good plays, not only with his arm, but I think he's making great decisions throwing the football and then with his legs."
Michael Irvin rounded out those Triplets. This team has Dez Bryant and a pretty good slot receiver in Cole Beasley.

"I think Beasley has played excellent, and now they've got Dez Bryant back,'' Zimmer said. "So yeah, it does remind me a lot of what we had in Dallas at that time.''

Cotton

Staff member
Scouting the Vikings: Dak Prescott better prepare for toughest pass defense he's ever seen

By Rick Gosselin , Staff Columnist

The Cowboys have invested their draft picks and salary-cap dollars in the offensive line and it's paying huge dividends with three Pro Bowlers and the best rushing attack in the NFC.

The Minnesota Vikings invested their picks and money in the defensive backfield and it's also paying dividends. Defense has been the backbone of Minnesota's surprising playoff contention this season without their starting quarterback (Teddy Bridgewater) and running back (Adrian Peterson).

And it's what the Vikings accomplish on passing downs that has them in the chase for a NFC North title with a 6-5 record. Mike Zimmer, who coordinated a No. 1-ranked defense with the Cowboys under Bill Parcells and is now head coach of the Vikings, decided the way to win in a passing league is to shut down the pass.

And he is succeeding.

The Cowboys will put their 10-game winning streak on the line Thursday night against the best pass defense rookie quarterback Dak Prescott has faced this season.

The Vikings rank third in the NFL against the pass (206.8 yards per game) and fourth in overall defense (307 yards per game). Offenses are completing only 57.9 percent of their passes against the Vikings, third best in the NFL, and quarterbacks are operating at a 74.3 efficiency rate, second best in the league. The Vikings have allowed the fifth fewest passing touchdowns (13) and have the third-most interceptions (12).

But the Vikings should be this efficient. They have four former first-round draft picks in their secondary. Pro Bowl safety Harrison Smith was a first-round pick in 2012, cornerback Xavier Rhodes a first-rounder in 2013 and cornerback Trae Waynes a first-rounder in 2015.

The Vikings signed Terence Newman, a former first-round draft pick of the Cowboys in 2003, in free agency. He followed Zimmer from Cincinnati to Minnesota in 2015. Minnesota also signed Captain Munnerlyn, one of the league's best slot corners, away from the Carolina Panthers in 2014.

Rhodes has the size (6-1, 218) to match up against Dez Bryant, Munnerlyn the shiftiness to challenge Cole Beasley and Waynes the 4.31 speed to track Brice Butler and Terrance Williams. Newman chips in the veteran savvy to win mind games with quarterbacks. At 38, the two-time Pro Bowler is the oldest defensive player in the league.

That coverage unit is supported by a pass rush that ranks seventh in the NFL with 28 sacks. The Vikings collected eight sacks against Cam Newton and the Panthers, five against Aaron Rodgers and the Packers and four apiece against the Texans and Bears. Edge rushers Everson Griffen, Danielle Hunter and Brian Robison have combined for 18 ½ sacks.

Minnesota has not allowed a 100-yard receiver this season. In fact, the Vikings are the only NFL team that has not allowed a 100-yard receiver. The last player to collect 100 yards in a game against the Vikings was Green Bay's James Jones, who caught four passes for 102 yards in the 2015 season finale. No receiver has managed 100 yards against Minnesota in the 11 games since then.

The Vikings have allowed only eight touchdowns receptions by wide receivers. Running backs have three and tight ends two. Minnesota also is one of only four NFL defenses that has not allowed a 300-yard passing game this season. The Vikings held Eli Manning and Cam Newton without a touchdown pass in consecutive games this season.

The best game by a wide receiver against Minnesota this season was an 11-catch, 79-yard performance by Detroit's Golden Tate. The Vikings held Odell Beckham Jr. to three catches for 23 yards, Larry Fitzgerald six catches for 63 yards, Alshon Jeffery four catches for 63 yards and DeAndre Hopkins five catches for 56 yards.

Prescott has brought his A game all season to the Dallas offense. He's completing 67.9 percent of his passes and ranks fourth in passing efficiency at 108.6. He throws touchdowns (18) and not interceptions (2). But he hasn't seen a pass defense quite like this one yet in his young career.

"Biggest challenge yet". We keep hearing that every week.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
So if our offensive coorinator leaves for a head coaching job after this season...
Agreed, I think that'd pretty much be a lock.

Jimmy Johnson even mentioned talking about this Cowboys offense in comparison to the 90's offense with Turner on the FOX pre-game.

2233boys

Not So New Member
Scouting the Vikings: Dak Prescott better prepare for toughest pass defense he's ever seen

By Rick Gosselin , Staff Columnist

The Cowboys have invested their draft picks and salary-cap dollars in the offensive line and it's paying huge dividends with three Pro Bowlers and the best rushing attack in the NFC.

The Minnesota Vikings invested their picks and money in the defensive backfield and it's also paying dividends. Defense has been the backbone of Minnesota's surprising playoff contention this season without their starting quarterback (Teddy Bridgewater) and running back (Adrian Peterson).

And it's what the Vikings accomplish on passing downs that has them in the chase for a NFC North title with a 6-5 record. Mike Zimmer, who coordinated a No. 1-ranked defense with the Cowboys under Bill Parcells and is now head coach of the Vikings, decided the way to win in a passing league is to shut down the pass.

And he is succeeding.

The Cowboys will put their 10-game winning streak on the line Thursday night against the best pass defense rookie quarterback Dak Prescott has faced this season.

The Vikings rank third in the NFL against the pass (206.8 yards per game) and fourth in overall defense (307 yards per game). Offenses are completing only 57.9 percent of their passes against the Vikings, third best in the NFL, and quarterbacks are operating at a 74.3 efficiency rate, second best in the league. The Vikings have allowed the fifth fewest passing touchdowns (13) and have the third-most interceptions (12).

But the Vikings should be this efficient. They have four former first-round draft picks in their secondary. Pro Bowl safety Harrison Smith was a first-round pick in 2012, cornerback Xavier Rhodes a first-rounder in 2013 and cornerback Trae Waynes a first-rounder in 2015.

The Vikings signed Terence Newman, a former first-round draft pick of the Cowboys in 2003, in free agency. He followed Zimmer from Cincinnati to Minnesota in 2015. Minnesota also signed Captain Munnerlyn, one of the league's best slot corners, away from the Carolina Panthers in 2014.

Rhodes has the size (6-1, 218) to match up against Dez Bryant, Munnerlyn the shiftiness to challenge Cole Beasley and Waynes the 4.31 speed to track Brice Butler and Terrance Williams. Newman chips in the veteran savvy to win mind games with quarterbacks. At 38, the two-time Pro Bowler is the oldest defensive player in the league.

That coverage unit is supported by a pass rush that ranks seventh in the NFL with 28 sacks. The Vikings collected eight sacks against Cam Newton and the Panthers, five against Aaron Rodgers and the Packers and four apiece against the Texans and Bears. Edge rushers Everson Griffen, Danielle Hunter and Brian Robison have combined for 18 ½ sacks.

Minnesota has not allowed a 100-yard receiver this season. In fact, the Vikings are the only NFL team that has not allowed a 100-yard receiver. The last player to collect 100 yards in a game against the Vikings was Green Bay's James Jones, who caught four passes for 102 yards in the 2015 season finale. No receiver has managed 100 yards against Minnesota in the 11 games since then.

The Vikings have allowed only eight touchdowns receptions by wide receivers. Running backs have three and tight ends two. Minnesota also is one of only four NFL defenses that has not allowed a 300-yard passing game this season. The Vikings held Eli Manning and Cam Newton without a touchdown pass in consecutive games this season.

The best game by a wide receiver against Minnesota this season was an 11-catch, 79-yard performance by Detroit's Golden Tate. The Vikings held Odell Beckham Jr. to three catches for 23 yards, Larry Fitzgerald six catches for 63 yards, Alshon Jeffery four catches for 63 yards and DeAndre Hopkins five catches for 56 yards.

Prescott has brought his A game all season to the Dallas offense. He's completing 67.9 percent of his passes and ranks fourth in passing efficiency at 108.6. He throws touchdowns (18) and not interceptions (2). But he hasn't seen a pass defense quite like this one yet in his young career.

"Biggest challenge yet". We keep hearing that every week.
They allow 100 yrds a game rushing, so expect a lot of Zeke. Which would make me happy as hell.

dallen

Senior Tech
I wouldn't hate it. I'd prefer to keep Linehan obviously, but Norv would keep the offense pretty consistent.

townsend

Banned
Think Garrett demands a public apology, for Turner not wanting him as OC in 2007?

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Vikings Monday injury report:

Did Not Participate

C Joe Berger - Concussion

CB Marcus Sherels - Ribs

S Harrison Smith - Ankle

CB Captain Munnerlyn - Ankle