Machota: Jerry Jones - We've been thinking about drafting our QB of the future

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
So if someone goes to rehab you don't think they can ever drink again? I think that's a pretty ridiculous assumption. I seriously doubt he is a legitimate alcoholic who needs to stay away from booze the rest of his life. Going to rehab shouldn't be used as a barameter to punish people.

Who said anything about punishment? Going to rehab is acknowledgement that he has a problem with addiction. I would strongly guess that at least one of those problems is related to alcohol. Don't you think, since his career might be on the line over it, he probably shouldn't touch the stuff for now?

The fact that he couldn't go 6 months without drinking when it's already put him on shaky ground professionally tells me he's got a serious problem and until he shows his career is more important to him than alcohol he's untrustworthy. He's not nearly good enough to make the problem worth it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Who said anything about punishment?
Because you're punishing the guy by stating he can't drink now. He voluntarily checked into rehab. I personally have no odea what his reason's were for doing that but someone voluntarily doing something good for their life shouldn't be cause for someone to then judge him for drinking.

As though if he didn't go to rehab his drinking would be acceptable. The rehab has nothing to do with it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So if someone goes to rehab you don't think they can ever drink again? I think that's a pretty ridiculous assumption. I seriously doubt he is a legitimate alcoholic who needs to stay away from booze the rest of his life. Going to rehab shouldn't be used as a barameter to punish people.
I think it sends a bad message to go through rehab and the first chance you get you head for the bar. It would certainly raise trust issues for me.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Seems to me that JF is more addicted to clubbing/being a star than alcohol. Dallas would be about the worst possible place for him.

Jerry would probably tell him to go ahead and do what he wanted -- it worked for Joe Namath and Don Meredith.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Because you're punishing the guy by stating he can't drink now. He voluntarily checked into rehab. I personally have no odea what his reason's were for doing that but someone voluntarily doing something good for their life shouldn't be cause for someone to then judge him for drinking.

As though if he didn't go to rehab his drinking would be acceptable. The rehab has nothing to do with it.
Are you serious? He can go to rehab and he's suddenly fixed or something?

It would be retarded to equate it to punishment. You go to rehab due to addiction. One of the consequences of having an addiction is to refrain from engaging in addictive behavior.

How is this remotely arguable? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Are you serious? He can go to rehab and he's suddenly fixed or something?

It would be retarded to equate it to punishment. You go to rehab due to addiction. One of the consequences of having an addiction is to refrain from engaging in addictive behavior.

How is this remotely arguable? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
Yeah, CRock must really really want him here. Not sure how anyone could defend this moron, otherwise.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
You remember the stink it caused when Romo and Witten went to Cabo during the bye before the playoffs? Imagine heads exploding if we ever got to the playoffs with Johnny Football.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
We all know it's coming though. Manziel and/or RGIII. Ticket and jersey sales thru the roof. J$rry smiling ear to ear while the Cowboys get back to the win or go home week 16 games.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it sends a bad message to go through rehab and the first chance you get you head for the bar. It would certainly raise trust issues for me.
So screw him for going to rehab! That's a horribly flawed thought process. I guess he shouldn't have tried to better his life by going to rehab.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, CRock must really really want him here. Not sure how anyone could defend this moron, otherwise.
No, I wouldn't mind him here but I'd rather draft someone.

I'm just not going to hold it against a guy for going to rehab. It's not like he was forced to go to rehab because he did something horribly wrong.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I guess he shouldn't have tried to better his life by going to rehab.
No. That was a good thing to do.

He should have tried to better his life by not heading right back out partying after completing rehab.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
So screw him for going to rehab! That's a horribly flawed thought process. I guess he shouldn't have tried to better his life by going to rehab.
He pretty much shouldn't have gone to rehab because people have a ridiculous reaction to people who do.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He should have tried to better his life by not heading right back out partying after completing rehab.
If you think him going out partying is wrong, that's fine. I'm not arguing that. But when you tag the rehab part to it, I think it's patently unfair. You're docking the guy for going to rehab. That is what is dumb and all you're really doing is giving a person a reason to not go to rehab in the first place.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He pretty much shouldn't have gone to rehab because people have a ridiculous reaction to people who do.
Exactly!

I think this has more to do with people just disliking him and grasping at trying to make him sound worse then he is.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
The issue isn't going to rehab, it's heading back to the bar afterwards.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
If you think him going out partying is wrong, that's fine. I'm not arguing that. But when you tag the rehab part to it, I think it's patently unfair. You're docking the guy for going to rehab. That is what is dumb and all you're really doing is giving a person a reason to not go to rehab in the first place.
No. You are only looking at this on the surface. When he went to rehab, he was saying he had a PROBLEM. He also said that problem was a hindrance on him doing his job. The team, media, fans, etc... all took him to his word, and thought that maybe he was maturing, and starting to take being the QB of the Cleveland Browns seriously.

Then, he went out partying again. There is nothing wrong with that, in and of itself. But when you couple it with what was said earlier and by his actions of admitting himself into rehab...? Not a good situation.

So, which is it? Does he truly have a problem? If so, then him going out partying again is a bad thing. Showing he can't handle the pressure and responsibilities. Or does he NOT have a problem, and was only doing/saying things to get the team to get off his back? If that is the case, then that would tell us that he's dishonest, and doesn't take his job seriously. Either scenario is not exactly conducive to somebody you want being the face of your franchise.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
He has shown a long history of partying. Him admitting himself into rehab only solidified that even he knows he has a problem. Couple that with not only going right back out and partying again but also letting him get a video taken of him partying shows he can't be trusted.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Not at all. He should have gone to rehab. He shouldn't have made one of his first stops out of rehab at the bar. It destroys credibility that he was sincere about rehab.

Top Bottom