Coach Firing/Hiring Thread...

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So he is so much better then Garrett that he is worth firing him for, but he would have had the exact same results as Garrett this season? I think that's a bit ridiculous. Especially when you consider how good he was able to make backup QB Luke McCown look when he did play.
He would have had roughly similar results.

Not that ridiculous when you consider he had Drew Brees pretty much the whole year and only managed to go 7-9.

He's no miracle worker is the point. Injuries were the biggest problem this year and Payton would have probably been able to steal a game here or there but he wasn't making the playoffs.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Getting Coughlin to "step down" may come off as "classy" to those who kiss the Maras' asses, but I think they did him wrong.

Especially since Jerry Reece is still employed and did him zero favors with a pretty crappy roster, especially on defense.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Don't know why that would be a controversial thing to say. Payton has had single digit wins and been out of the playoffs three of the last four seasons. He has also accomplished a ton more than Garrett and has demonstrated he knows how to out coach people situationally every now and then. But he can't overcome being dealt a short personnel hand as he's shows three out of the last four seasons, and he definitely would have had that this year in Dallas.

I think if we're being honest with ourselves we can admit that and still say we should fire Garrett for him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not that ridiculous when you consider he had Drew Brees pretty much the whole year and only managed to go 7-9.
Yeah, because our defense is the same as the Saints...

I'm sorry Rev, I know I need to just not respond.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
He would have had roughly similar results.

He's no miracle worker is the point. Injuries were the biggest problem this year and Payton would have probably been able to steal a game here or there but he wasn't making the playoffs.
I think the defense would have made a difference.

Timestamped by CRock and didn't follow my own advice. Somebody shoot me.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
There might have been a couple game swing but the defense only forced 11 turnovers and was a crunch time letdown more than once. Don't think it gets us anywhere close to the playoffs. They were snakebit all year long.

Jiggyfly

Banned
There might have been a couple game swing but the defense only forced 11 turnovers and was a crunch time letdown more than once. Don't think it gets us anywhere close to the playoffs. They were snakebit all year long.
This team was definitely snakebit but the lack of scoring, converting 3rd downs and low red zone production where the main issues.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This team was definitely snakebit but the lack of scoring, converting 3rd downs and low red zone production where the main issues.
So yeah, offense and specifically the design. Yeah, Payton would be about the same and stuff.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Those were the main issues due to personnel primarily.

This is is where you guys are setting yourself up for disappointment. You think the next coach will come in here and every playcalling complaint you ever had will disappear.... Forgetting all the playcalling and game planning complaints you had about... ehm... Sean Payton when he was here.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Assistant coach sweep. McCoy stays. Get ready for something of the same in Dallas.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Assistant coach sweep. McCoy stays. Get ready for something of the same in Dallas.
Actually wouldn't mind if they got rid of the TE, DB and QB coaches. Just as a start

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

arcticdiesel

Joe Banner was on Mike&Mike this morning talking Browns and their plan to follow a more analytics approach. Makes sense they would hire a baseball guy to advise.

Top Bottom