Schefter: Dallas could take another look at Manziel

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I hear what you're saying but I'm torn because I do really like his talent. This isn't a QB that took the field and was a total disaster. He had a 88 QB rating on a shit Cleveland offense this year. He made some spectacular plays for them and was able to at least win a game. Johnny Manziel has the physical talent to succeed in the NFL. What he needs is a hard nosed coach to beat him up a little but who gives him the attention to keep him in line. I don't think he gets that in Dallas but this isn't a Brandon Weeden project either. You put him in our offense with our talent and I think you'll see a QB with a rating higher then 88 obviously.
His completion percentage is somewhere around 57%. Not worth it to me.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
His completion percentage is somewhere around 57%. Not worth it to me.
59.4% or so but I agree, I'd rather see it up at 65% or higher (I assume you're counting his rookie year but I think that's a little unfair). Might help having a Dez Bryant and Witten.

By the way, Aaron Rodgers this year? 61% completion percentage. Andrew Luck 55%. So I wouldn't rush to judgment that it's some sort of an indicator that he is terrible either.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I hear what you're saying but I'm torn because I do really like his talent. This isn't a QB that took the field and was a total disaster. He had a 88 QB rating on a shit Cleveland offense this year. He made some spectacular plays for them and was able to at least win a game. Johnny Manziel has the physical talent to succeed in the NFL. What he needs is a hard nosed coach to beat him up a little but who gives him the attention to keep him in line. I don't think he gets that in Dallas but this isn't a Brandon Weeden project either. You put him in our offense with our talent and I think you'll see a QB with a rating higher then 88 obviously.
Manziel is everything I don't like in a Quarterback. He is a free wheeler and a non conformist on and off the field. He either cannot or will not accept discipline and trusts himself more than the structure he is in. I love watching him play as long as it is for someone else.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
59.4% or so but I agree, I'd rather see it up at 65% or higher (I assume you're counting his rookie year but I think that's a little unfair). Might help having a Dez Bryant and Witten.

By the way, Aaron Rodgers this year? 61% completion percentage. Andrew Luck 55%. So I wouldn't rush to judgment that it's some sort of an indicator that he is terrible either.
Luck isn't having a good year with those numbers.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Luck isn't having a good year with those numbers.
No Luck is having a terrible year. I just think completion percentage can be an overrated statistic. If you're throwing 2 and 3 yard screen passes the entire time you will have a high completion percentage but a low YPA. I think the far more important statistic is actually YPA although I still want a high completion percentage because it increases the likelihood of a positive play.

Manziel by the way has a 7.29 YPA this year. It would put him right in the top 15 range for QBs. Nothing special, but again look at the players on the Cleveland offense.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Frenchy should have stuck with the bad character angle.

This offense may think it is a timing-based offense based on precision, but the guy that makes it work in Romo also operates best when freelancing.
No kidding. How can even an idiot like JJT say that our offense isn't the best fit for a freelancer? That's the only time our offense is any good.

Cotton

Staff member

Rodgers isn't having a very good year, either.

kidd

DCC 4Life
The only problem I have with him coming here is the circus atmosphere that it would create.

Otherwise, I love the idea of having a talented player sit behind Romo and learn much like Aaron Rodgers sat behind Favre. The only difference is that Rodgers never created any QB controversies while waiting his turn like Manziel would here.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
The only problem I have with him coming here is the circus atmosphere that it would create.

Otherwise, I love the idea of having a talented player sit behind Romo and learn much like Aaron Rodgers sat behind Favre. The only difference is that Rodgers never created any QB controversies while waiting his turn like Manziel would here.
Rodgers also had a more talented offensive staff.

kidd

DCC 4Life
Rodgers also had a more talented offensive staff.
Are you talking about coaching or players? Because, other than RB, this offense is pretty stacked.

If you're talking about coaching, then I totally understand. I wish we could find a better QB coach. Although, I like Linehan.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Are you talking about coaching or players? Because, other than RB, this offense is pretty stacked.

If you're talking about coaching, then I totally understand. I wish we could find a better QB coach. Although, I like Linehan.
Coaches. Who refers to players as staff?

Cotton

Staff member
That's a arbitrary reason, Weeden had a completion percentage over 70 and we see where that got us.
How about 5 TDs to 4 INTs?

shane

DCC 4Life
If he's waived, we should definitely sign him. Regardless of whether he's an asshole who likes to party, he's still got talent and a lot of potential. Guys have matured and cleaned up their act throughout their careers and it's not impossible that Johnny Football will get it together too.

Cotton

Staff member
I see. Weak, but I see.
He has shown nothing since he has been in the league. And, he's a nightmare off the field. You can want him all you would like, but I really hope Jerry steers clear of him.

Top Bottom