Cowboys will try “all ways” to find backup QB with future starting potential

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Jerry Jones: Cowboys will try “all ways” to find backup QB with future starting potential
BY CHAREAN WILLIAMS
cjwilliams@star-telegram.com

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones vows to get a backup quarterback with starter potential this offseason. He did not rule out using the team’s first-round pick on a quarterback during his weekly radio show.

“We’re going to try to all the ways – all ways – to come up with a way to get Tony [Romo] a backup, while at the same time looking toward the future,” Jones said on 105.3 The Fan. “Some people would say that’s dreaming. Everybody wants that.”

The Cowboys have used three backups this season, with Brandon Weeden, Matt Cassel and Kellen Moore combining to go 1-10.

Jones said he visited with Romo about the team’s future at the position Saturday night in Buffalo.

“It’s obviously going to be a high priority for us, the backup situation, as it relates to not only being able to come in and do better than we did this year, but whatever way, whatever we do, do better, but we’re looking to our future,” Jones said. “That’s as big a thing for me. That’s why we were working with Weeden. We thought Weeden had future possibilities. He had arm talent. But we didn’t know how he would work at the game preparation and the whole picture. …We invested quite a bit in Weeden, and you see where we are with him. So basically that is a high priority for us.

“I personally think that we if I was giving grades, that’s probably where we didn’t do as well probably more so than any place else was the backup quarterback situation.”

The Cowboys have not drafted a quarterback since taking Texas A&M’s Stephen McGee in the fourth round in 2009. He spent three seasons on the roster. But Jones pointed out he almost selected A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel in the first round in 2014.

Instead, the Cowboys took two-time Pro Bowl guard Zack Martin.

“I looked hard until right until the last second at drafting a quarterback,” Jones said. “The reason I didn’t is I thought that that quarterback would have a tough time sitting behind Romo for five years, and I assumed that he would be sitting behind Romo for five years. I was well aware that we were vulnerable if Romo got hurt in that five-year period. So we just came within a hair of … drafting a quarterback.”

Craig Morton (1965) and Troy Aikman (1989) are the only quarterbacks the Cowboys have ever drafted in the first round.

The Cowboys currently sit fourth in the 2016 draft.

Jones said “the odds of making a mistake [in drafting a first-round quarterback] are huge.”

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I can't see how any reasonable person would think bringing in Manziel would be a good idea. The guy hasn't shown much of anything as a starter, he has shown that he is a guy with an average arm who can't really make plays from the pocket. Combine that with the fact that he seemingly has no real interest in slowing down his partying ways and I don't see how anybody thinks it could work.

If we were some random team like San Diego maybe you take a shot at developing him, but coming to a high-profile situation in Dallas, especially in the same state he played college ball with all of the history/perceptions that exist, I just don't see how anybody could think it'd be a good idea. It'd be nothing more than a media circus that distracts the team and I'm sure there would be at least 2 occurrences per season where Manziel does something idiotic that throws kerosene on the fire.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Just do it in the draft, please. Thanks.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Just do it in the draft, please. Thanks.
You'll get whichever of RG3 or Manziel that is available and deal with it.

Cotton

Staff member
I'm afraid you're right. It fits Jerry's "we are so close" MO. He has already started it yet again this year.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I'm afraid you're right. It fits Jerry's "we are so close" MO. He has already started it yet again this year.
The roster is set.

Cotton

Staff member
Jerry Jones: Finding a QB a 'high priority'

Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys have many needs for 2016, but owner and general manager Jerry Jones reiterated finding a quarterback is at the top of the list.

Backups Brandon Weeden, Matt Cassel and Kellen Moore have combined to go 1-10 this season after starter Tony Romo suffered a broken left collarbone twice this season. Jones has acknowledged the front office handled the backup spot entering the season poorly.

“We’re going to try to all the ways – all ways – to come up with a way to get Tony a backup, while at the same time looking toward the future,” Jones said on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas on Tuesday. “Some people would say that’s dreaming. Everybody wants that, but we have a high draft pick, obviously. We're earned it, and we've got it. If we evaluate and get an opportunity to get a couple of players there, we got to look at it hard.”

Jones said he had a conversation with Romo about the future of the position on Saturday night in Buffalo. He has said he believes Romo, who turns 36 in April, has a 3-5 year window left at playing at a high level.

The Cowboys have not drafted a quarterback since 2009 (Stephen McGee, fourth round) and have not selected a quarterback in the first round since Troy Aikman in 1989. They took Steve Walsh with a first-round pick in the 1989 compensatory draft as well.

It’s possible the Cowboys could take a quarterback early in the draft as well as look in free agency for a veteran backup.

“It’s obviously going to be a high priority for us, the backup situation, as it relates to not only being able to come in and do better than we did this year, but whatever way, whatever we do, do better, but we’re looking to our future,” Jones said. “That’s as big a thing for me.”

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't want either one, but if we are Hell bent on getting one of the two I'd by far prefer RG3.
I'd much rather Manziel personally. Just think the ceiling is higher and oddly enough the douche factor lower.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
You know its going to happen. I do think though that we'll seriously look at taking a QB in the first. While it would also be good to have a quality backup I don't see any reason to trade for a QB, especially not Manziel or RGIII who neither would be content being a backup and I don't want either as a full time starter.

But you just know Jerry is dying to bring one of them here...a former QB that played in Texas and all the Joe fan hype it'd bring.

Also wouldn't be surprised if JJ doesn't start scouring the minor leagues and baseball waiver wire. He can't help being cute.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I will cobble together a flame thrower and torch the press conference podium.

I shit you not.
I am actually pulling for the signing of one of them, now.

Just to see if you are shitting us not.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Don't rule out Colin Kaepernick. He went to the Super Bowl.

shane

DCC 4Life
I'd much rather Manziel personally. Just think the ceiling is higher and oddly enough the douche factor lower.
I don't get why people are so down on Manziel. So what if he likes to get fucked up in his spare time? Get him some handlers who babysit him. It worked with Dez, and it can work with Manziel. I'd love to see him here for a low price tag. Mallett's another guy who intrigues me and could probably be gotten for chump change.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't get why people are so down on Manziel. So what if he likes to get fucked up in his spare time? Get him some handlers who babysit him. It worked with Dez, and it can work with Manziel. I'd love to see him here for a low price tag. Mallett's another guy who intrigues me and could probably be gotten for chump change.
Mallett is under contract for next season. I am not trading for that.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If he was a Dez-like talent at QB I'd be all for it but he isn't. He's a sandlot player in the NFL, he relies way too much on his legs and hes a guy who can't really stand in the pocket and make NFL throws.

Top Bottom