2015 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Found the rule in case anyone is curious:

6.3.1 4-2-4 Transfers. A 4-2-4 transfer student-athlete who is in compliance with NCAA Bylaw 14.5.6 must complete one full academic year in residence before being eligible to compete in a sport and forfeit one season of competition unless, in sports other than football or basketball, the director of athletics of the Conference Member Institution of initial enrollment consents in writing to the student-athlete’s enrollment at the second Conference Member Institution. Any consent given relating to the indirect intraconference transfer may be unconditional or conditioned on the student-athlete completing one full academic year in residence at the second conference Member Institution before competing. 6.3.1.1 Hearing Opportunity.

If under C.R. 6.3.1, the director of athletics denies consent for a 4-2-4 transfer, the institution shall inform the
student-athlete in writing that a hearing shall be provided upon request. If a hearing is requested, the hearing procedures established by the institution in conformity with NCAA legislation relating to the one-time transfer exception shall be applicable.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess you missed where it says it's the AD that has to sign that release.
Yeah, I read it wrong the first time. I posted it again, along with the appeals procedure which I believe is what he did. The way I read it is actually that they can't waive it in cases of football and basketball.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah, I read it wrong the first time. I posted it again, along with the appeals procedure which I believe is what he did.
Of course that's what he did. How do you think he is on the field right now?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
6.3.1 4-2-4 Transfers. A 4-2-4 transfer student-athlete who is in compliance with
NCAA Bylaw 14.5.6 must complete one full academic year in residence before
being eligible to compete in a sport and forfeit one season of competition unless,
in sports other than football or basketball, the director of athletics of the
Conference Member Institution of initial enrollment consents in writing to the
student-athlete’s enrollment at the second Conference Member Institution. Any
consent given relating to the indirect intraconference transfer may be
unconditional or conditioned on the student-athlete completing one full academic
year in residence at the second conference Member Institution before competing.
Say's right there that football and basketball players can't get permission from the AD to keep the year of eligibility.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Yeah, I read it wrong the first time. I posted it again, along with the appeals procedure which I believe is what he did. The way I read it is actually that they can't waive it in cases of football and basketball.
Is this you apologizing?

If so, don't do that yet. We still have to discuss the whole thing where you aren't sure of Kliff was going to give him a scholly in the spring. Let's settle that first.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Quarterback Jake Rudock is free to transfer anywhere he wishes, at least in the eyes of his former school.

What the Big Ten thinks of it all, however, could be a different story.

Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz, speaking with reporters in Iowa City on Wednesday, explained the decision to release Rudock from his scholarship with no limitations -- meaning, if the league gives approval, the 6-foot-3, 208-pounder is free to transfer to another Big Ten school.

"He's on our roster, but I've certainly granted him ‑‑ permission is not the right word, we've signed releases or whatever the appropriate terms would be to explore options," Ferentz said. "Bottom line is I want him to be happy about his opportunities in front of him.

"If Jake's heart is not totally in being here, then it's probably best that he does go somewhere else. But right now it's just‑‑ I think he's in an exploratory process at this stage."

Rudock reportedly took a visit to Michigan last week, and has been rumored as a potential graduate transfer prospect for the Wolverines for some time now.

Asked specifically about Michigan with regard to Rudock, Ferentz said he couldn't get specific.

"I signed an open release ‑‑ I didn't say open, but release is the right word," Ferentz said. "I don't want to use the word permission; that's kind of like I'm a czar or something like that.

"We signed a release basically with no strings attached. If he chooses to leave, I want him to have opportunities. I think that's the only fair way to do this, the best for thing for him."

So, Iowa will not be an obstacle for Rudock landing in Ann Arbor.

But the Big Ten still could be.

If Rudock were to go to a school outside the Big Ten as a graduate transfer, then he'd be able to play immediately (so long as he met all the requirements) for his fifth and final year of eligibility.

However, the Big Ten's intra-conference transfer policy -- which was written in 2012 -- does not give special permission to graduate transfers. Prior to 2012, the Big Ten prohibited any player who signed a letter-of-intent with a league school to transfer to another league member.

Now, players are able to do so. But, per the letter of the rule, all intra-conference transfers are forced to sit a year.

The "post matriculation" rule in full reads:

Rule 15.01.5. Intraconference Transfer Rules. B. Post Matriculation. A student-athlete that has signed a tender from a Conference institution and has triggered transfer status per NCAA Bylaw 14.5.2 (conditions affecting transfer status), may not represent an alternate Big Ten institution in intercollegiate athletics competition until the individual has completed one (1) full academic year of residence at the alternate (i.e., certifying) Big Ten institution and shall be charged with the loss of one (1) season of eligibility in all sports.
The Big Ten could, of course, grant Rudock a waiver and allow him to go through the normal graduate transfer route and be immediately eligible in Ann Arbor, if he chooses to attend Michigan.

Michigan currently has three scholarship quarterbacks on its roster: junior Shane Morris, freshman Alex Malzone and redshirt freshman Wilton Speight. True freshman Zach Gentry and transfer John O'Korn -- who has to sit out the 2015 season -- will join the team this summer.

Rudock started at quarterback for Iowa in each of the last two seasons, but lost his job this offseason when Ferentz promoted C.J. Beathard to the starting spot.

Rudock threw for 2,436 yards, 16 touchdowns and 5 interceptions last season. He ranked No. 2 in the Big Ten in completion percentage at 61.7 percent.

_________________________________________________________________________________

FYI this is how a class act coach does it. But I get that Ferentz isn't like most coaches. He has job security that other coaches don't.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
This seems like a great kid who competed, lost his starting spot and has a great coach who worked together with him to help him get to where he wanted to go. I really do admire that but this case is in the >%.

Now can we discuss the norm.

Baker threw a giant fit, walked out on his team during and important bowl game and refused to compete after playing like garbage for 3 weeks (took something like 17 sacks in 3 games). Walked out on his team because he'd never been told no before. Then daddy calls threatening that he knows people and all of that. Different deal. Baker is not a victim.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Am I reading this correctly? The Iowa kid still had to sit out and now his eligibility ran out? Didn't Ferentz know this therefore Saint Ferentz did nothing at all for the kid and Kliff is the debil?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
BTW, Kliff ACTIVELY has helped place good kids who want to transfer. He has helped kids get to good teams.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Am I reading this correctly? The Iowa kid still had to sit out and now his eligibility ran out? Didn't Ferentz know this therefore Saint Ferentz did nothing at all for the kid and Kliff is the debil?
No, he played right away. Basically the Big 10 conference stepped aside and didn't interfere.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Clemson's run defense and gameplan just seems to be too much for OU.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
No, he played right away. Basically the Big 10 conference stepped aside and didn't interfere.
I wonder how you'd feel if a little brat lied about Ferentz every chance he got in in front of the mic the same situation.

Lookit, Kliff is as good of a guy that you'll find. He has no skins on the wall like your coach but the Mayfields are retarded.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder how you'd feel if a little brat lied about Ferentz every chance he got in in front of the mic the same situation.

Lookit, Kliff is as good of a guy that you'll find. He has no skins on the wall like your coach but the Mayfields are retarded.
I'm guessing it would have never gone down like that at Iowa. Of course Ferentz would have never started a true freshman QB but that's just how he is.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
As previously predicted by yours truly, Clemson is getting in that ass.
Yeah, I don't think that is all that surprising. Good season by Oklahoma but I think this was the first time they really faced a stud team with their QB healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom