Archive - Random NFL Stuff Thread...

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
His whole base salary is guaranteed next year, so Philly has no reason to cut him.
And the angels wouldn't trade Hamilton back to the Rangers and pay almost all of his salary. It's fantasy la,d to begin with.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
His whole base salary is guaranteed next year, so Philly has no reason to cut him.
Good organizations like the Eagles know when to cut their losses. They aren't like the Cowboys who hold on to overpaid mistakes for years.

They could keep him, yes, but I think they release him.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Salary cap league, non-cap league. Apples and Oranges.
Luxury tax is basically a salary cap and the reason the owner of the angels has said no big signings. So close enough.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It just feels like you think you can hit the reset button and it will be last year all over again. It's possible being barely used in Philly has given him enough rest for him to bounce back, but it's possible his legs are shot.
I don't think that at all.

I don't believe he's gonna come back and put up 1,800 again, but I do believe he can come back and be a good consistent runner who gives us a more reliable and dependable running game.

He'd also help solve our awful short yardage woes.

My guess is he'd come in and give us 1,200 yards and 8 TDs plus he'd keep us balanced. I'll be more than happy with that.

James Jones looked finished too, didn't he? Then the guy goes back to Green Bay and he magically became a productive player again. I think the same thing would happen with Murray here.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
If he went on to rush for 1,400 yards or so, then reward the man with a 2 year extension at around 4-5 mill and be done with it.
And you'd be doing just what people advocate NOT doing. And I've seen you admonishing Jerry for doing it. Paying age and for past accomplishments.

At the time of your hypothetical extension for 4-5 mil, he'd be 29. Not smart business paying a RB that old that much jack.

How about we just move on and get another young RB? A cheap RB? I hear they're pretty easy to find.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Good organizations like the Eagles know when to cut their losses. They aren't like the Cowboys who hold on to overpaid mistakes for years.

Huh? You say a good organization should get rid of him, then advocate us picking him up?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
James Jones looked finished too, didn't he? Then the guy goes back to Green Bay and he magically became a productive player again. I think the same thing would happen with Murray here.
One is a RB that was rode hard, the other a WR. A WR that went back to play with a HOF caliber QB that had just lost his #1 target.

Just a slight difference, wouldn't you say?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Huh? You say a good organization should get rid of him, then advocate us picking him up?
Because we'd be getting him on a cheap deal setup to cut him after 1 year if he doesn't produce.

The only way we'd keep him and pay him beyond year 1 is if he proved he was a good RB again.

If the guy ran for 1,200 yards or more and proved he was the Murray from before, you wouldn't want to bring the guy back?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Because we'd be getting him on a cheap deal setup to cut him after 1 year if he doesn't produce.

The only way we'd keep him and pay him beyond year 1 is if he proved he was a good RB again.

If the guy ran for 1,200 yards or more and proved he was the Murray from before, you wouldn't want to bring the guy back?
I'd rather get a young guy who can play.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

The Eagles have not been a good organization in about 5 years, certainly not since Kelly got there.

It's a borderline toxic situation at this point, and it's the only reason they might get rid of him.

Even at that, though, they'd have to be creative to move on.

I'll repeat myself. The cap hit for outright cutting him would be prohibitive. I've heard it reported that as they stand right now, they have about 16 million in cap space for next year. If they cut Murray they would be down to 11 million. And they still would have to have space to sign Bradford or another QB.

They can create some space (cutting Riley Cooper would save a couple mil for example), but it's fairly tight for them apparently.

Speaking of Cooper, they signed him to a bad contract a couple years ago. And because of a prohibitive cap hit they've stuck with him as he's sucked out loud the whole time. Don't think for a second they wouldn't do it with Murray if they have to.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
And here's the other thing. If the Eagles do try to convert The guaranteed salary to signing bonus and spread out the cap hit, and then try and trade him So that its a workable cap hit, whoever decides to trade for him Would have to take on That contract. I would not want to be that team.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

He's already proven he'll go where the money is. You don't think there is some other team that would be willing to pay more than this mythical cheap, team friendly contract he'd sign with us?

Don't pay age. Especially don't pay age with high miles.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It just feels like you think you can hit the reset button and it will be last year all over again. It's possible being barely used in Philly has given him enough rest for him to bounce back, but it's possible his legs are shot.
No reason to think his legs are shot. He didn't have any injuries and they were barely used. He was playing in a system that had him too far from the line of scrimmage on the hand off. That changed his timing to get to the line. He isn't a quick jump back. He is more of a power runner that makes holes in small openings.

Jiggyfly

Banned
If a step slower over the last 4 regular season and 2 playoff games means he "only" ended up with 4.1 YPC, 3 100 yard rushing games, and 7 TDs, then I'd hope our next RB can be a step slower too.
Those are Mcfadden type numbers behind this o-line, so are you ok with him?

And they are far below what he was doing over the 1st 12 games.

Jiggyfly

Banned
And you'd be doing just what people advocate NOT doing. And I've seen you admonishing Jerry for doing it. Paying age and for past accomplishments.

At the time of your hypothetical extension for 4-5 mil, he'd be 29. Not smart business paying a RB that old that much jack.

How about we just move on and get another young RB? A cheap RB? I hear they're pretty easy to find.
:buddy

:unsure

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
No reason to think his legs are shot. He didn't have any injuries and they were barely used. He was playing in a system that had him too far from the line of scrimmage on the hand off. That changed his timing to get to the line. He isn't a quick jump back. He is more of a power runner that makes holes in small openings.
No reason except a really bad trend among RBs with 400 carry seasons and no reason to believe he's different.

Top Bottom