Cowboys will try “all ways” to find backup QB with future starting potential

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I don't get why people are so down on Manziel. So what if he likes to get fucked up in his spare time? Get him some handlers who babysit him. It worked with Dez, and it can work with Manziel. I'd love to see him here for a low price tag.
Because he's not a good QB.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I honestly find it hard to believe that Stephen, the scouts and the coaching staff would so vehemently talk Jerry out of taking Manziel less than 2 years ago but now they'd just be all gung ho about it when the guy hasn't really shown much on the field and has showed his propensity for attracting negative attention. Maybe if the guy is cut and can be brought in for a minimal contract but I really can't see us trading any kind of valuable picks for this guy under any circumstances.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I honestly find it hard to believe that Stephen, the scouts and the coaching staff would so vehemently talk Jerry out of taking Manziel less than 2 years ago but now they'd just be all gung ho about it when the guy hasn't really shown much on the field and has showed his propensity for attracting negative attention. Maybe if the guy is cut and can be brought in for a minimal contract but I really can't see us trading any kind of valuable picks for this guy under any circumstances.
Our scouts had him highly ranked though. The reason we passed wasn't so much a talent issue. In fact the impression I get was that it was a position issue and Jerry regrets letting them talk him out of it.

Jiggyfly

Banned
If he was a Dez-like talent at QB I'd be all for it but he isn't. He's a sandlot player in the NFL, he relies way too much on his legs and hes a guy who can't really stand in the pocket and make NFL throws.
This is simply not true, he has as strong an arm as Brees, Bridgewater, Romo and Rivers.

Yes his best work has come from improvisation but he has the arm to make throws from the pocket.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is simply not true, he has as strong an arm as Brees, Bridgewater, Romo and Rivers.

Yes his best work has come from improvisation but he has the arm to make throws from the pocket.
Yeah he has the arm to make NFL throws from the pocket. The raw skills are there.

Now it could be argued that he doesn't have the mental ability to go through NFL progressions in the pocket and find the open guy. But I think that is sort of yet to be determined.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yeah he has the arm to make NFL throws from the pocket. The raw skills are there.

Now it could be argued that he doesn't have the mental ability to go through NFL progressions in the pocket and find the open guy. But I think that is sort of yet to be determined.
I am leaning toward he will never be very good but the idea he is physically limited as a passer is wrong.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am leaning toward he will never be very good but the idea he is physically limited as a passer is wrong.
Could very well be. Still, I like the idea of my backup QB being able to make some plays with his feet and Manziel already looks like a better passer then the shit not named Romo we have seen in Dallas this year. Ultimately I'd rather draft a QB in the first two rounds but if not I think we could do much worse then Manziel as a number 2.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I didn't say he doesn't have the arm to make NFL throws, I've said that he's shown that he doesn't have the ability to stand in the pocket and make NFL throws. You could argue that maybe he develops it but I don't think he will, he's too reliant on running around in the pocket like a chicken with it's head cut off to make plays.

If he's cut and we bring him in for a minimal salary and it doesn't affect our draft plans whatsoever, ok, but I would never give up picks for him.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Could very well be. Still, I like the idea of my backup QB being able to make some plays with his feet and Manziel already looks like a better passer then the shit not named Romo we have seen in Dallas this year. Ultimately I'd rather draft a QB in the first two rounds but if not I think we could do much worse then Manziel as a number 2.
I would love him as a backup and in an ideal world I would still draft a guy high carry 3 QB's and let those guys compete for the job after Romo.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I didn't say he doesn't have the arm to make NFL throws, I've said that he's shown that he doesn't have the ability to stand in the pocket and make NFL throws. You could argue that maybe he develops it but I don't think he will, he's too reliant on running around in the pocket like a chicken with it's head cut off to make plays.

If he's cut and we bring him in for a minimal salary and it doesn't affect our draft plans whatsoever, ok, but I would never give up picks for him.
He has been making plays from the pocket this year and has shown some ability to go through progressions.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Perfect year to draft your QB of the future. Romo has two years left before he is able to be cut or traded. Sit and learn during that time and hopefully you have Aaron Rodgers 2.0 when Romo is gone.

townsend

Banned
Perfect year to draft your QB of the future. Romo has two years left before he is able to be cut or traded. Sit and learn during that time and hopefully you have Aaron Rodgers 2.0 when Romo is gone.
Shit. I'll take Joe Flacco 2.0 if it saves us from starting Clint Stoerner 2.0.

Top Bottom