Tony Romo eyeing Broncos as offseason destination

Jiggyfly

Banned
Tony Romo eyeing Broncos as offseason destination

By Ian Rapoport
NFL Media Insider
Published: Nov. 20, 2016 at 09:09 a.m. Updated: Nov. 20, 2016 at 05:07 p.m. 0 Likes | 0 Comments
Read Discuss

When Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo stepped to the podium Tuesday and delivered his memorable soliloquy in handing control of the offense over to Dak Prescott, the team's brass wasn't sure exactly what he was going to say.

They were in constant conversations with him, so they knew it wouldn't be adversarial. But Romo didn't run it by the team's public relations staff. He didn't go over his speech with owner Jerry Jones. He simply wrote a letter, read it and solidified his legacy in the organization. As one member of the Cowboys' organization said, a lot of people preach being team-first, but when it was time to step up, "He walked the walk."

Now that Prescott is the Cowboys' starting quarterback for the foreseeable future, there are several factors and some fallout related to Romo officially assuming the backup QB role Sunday, via sources informed of the situation:

» The Cowboys view Prescott, who they picked at No. 135 in the draft, as their quarterback of the future. This should be obvious but worth mentioning. Every team with a franchise quarterback is faced with the challenge of following him up with another one. Dallas believes it has found a franchise quarterback. Every step along the way, Prescott has checked every box. With the caveat that it's still early, and that everyone must continue to compete, they feel like their future at quarterback is solid.

» Prescott's leash will be a long one. This is not a tryout or a game-by-game proposition for the Cowboys. Dak is the future, he's earned the job as Romo mentioned, and he's the starter. Based on my understanding, he'll be treated like any other starter. Moving forward it's his job, barring a meltdown that no one expects or, say, a miserable four-game losing streak. Romo is simply waiting.

» For Romo, to be able to read that letter to the public took months. He came a long way. As he alluded to publicly, Romo spent most of rehab in a "dark place." He was distant and not involved, even though he'd come to the facility regularly. That changed drastically as he got healthier. He's not only been involved in Prescott's development recently, but has come to accept the ascension. Romo did go to members of the Cowboys' brass to ask to compete for a job, but was told it's not in the team's best interests. As a source put it, "He's a fierce competitor, so of course it hurts. What red-blooded athlete wouldn't want to compete? But he understands."

» There will be a market for Romo this offseason, as the team will look to trade him. Though owner Jerry Jones said he's given no consideration to having Romo on another team, carrying him as the backup for another year doesn't seem realistic. Romo, I'm told, already has eyes on the Broncos as a possible destination if general manager John Elway decides Paxton Lynch needs another year and that Trevor Siemian isn't the guy. Other options, depending on a variety of factors, include the Bears, Jets, Cardinals, and Bills. When the Cowboys do trade him, they'll still have to deal with about a $20 million salary-cap hit. Romo will have significant say in the matter given that he will need to renegotiate his deal. He, essentially, could veto any move.

» Romo's friend and long-time confidant Jason Witten said he doesn't believe Romo will retire after this season. I'm told this actually is a consideration. Romo could retire a member of the Cowboys this year, it's one of the options depending on how the year plays out and how his body feels going forward. Romo does feel he's in better shape now than he's been in a while. If Romo retires, expect him to stay within the Cowboys' organization. He's very close to the Joneses, watching Jerry's grandson play football and he's traveled to at least one game on Jerry's private plane.

The rest will play out over the course of 2016, but don't be surprised if Romo is the most talked-about quarterback this offseason.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
You know, selfishly I don't really want Romo to be Denver's missing piece...

Hawkeye19

Brand New Member
You know, selfishly I don't really want Romo to be Denver's missing piece...
It'd be ironic to face Denver in the SB with him as the Broncos QB-- and then Dallas turns out to be the team that crushes his Super Bowl dream. Ouch.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd want at least their 2nd, considering they're likely to be picking in the 20's I'd probably push hard for that 1st and once they turn it down counter with their 2nd and 3rd.

shane

DCC 4Life
It would be intriguing. At this point, I'm so confident with the Dallas team that I am hungry for competition.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It would be intriguing. At this point, I'm so confident with the Dallas team that I am hungry for competition.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. We have been doing well, but it's not like it's us and then the rest of the league well below us.

marsbennett

Brand New Member
Chicago??!!!?? Damn. I'd hate it for him, but I'd toss them Romo and our first for theirs.

dallen

Senior Tech
I don't want Romo to get a superbowl when he leaves here. I want Dallas to get those superbowls instead.
As long as he goes to the AFC he can go to all the Super Bowls he wants

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Chicago??!!!?? Damn. I'd hate it for him, but I'd toss them Romo and our first for theirs.
I wouldn't feel bad for him one bit if he went there because it means he will have chosen to do so.

The best teams out there that needs QBs will be Denver and Arizona. If he wants to play so bad that he chooses to go Chicago or the NYJ, then why feel bad for him?

Personally, I would hope he would go to Denver. If Dallas didn't make it, then I would be all for him getting Denver to the SB.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Romo goes to Denver next year. We meet them in the Super Bowl. The Cowboys have a lead lead late in the 4th and DeMarcus Ware causes and recovers a fumble. Romo throws the winning TD to Gavin Escobar as time runs out.

Wouldn't that be awesome?

GShock

DCC 4Life
I'd want at least their 2nd, considering they're likely to be picking in the 20's I'd probably push hard for that 1st and once they turn it down counter with their 2nd and 3rd.
With the Minnesota/Bradford trade fresh in mind, I really, really want a first. Tough to find an AFC team that would think they are a QB away that Tony would want to play for, but I have zero problem waiting on making a deal until a training camp injury makes a team desperate.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
With the Minnesota/Bradford trade fresh in mind, I really, really want a first. Tough to find an AFC team that would think they are a QB away that Tony would want to play for, but I have zero problem waiting on making a deal until a training camp injury makes a team desperate.
Agreed, I'd wait it out because team's are always more willing to give up picks in July/August with the draft 10 months away than in February in the middle of draft season.

The Eagles had two big things in their favor in that trade that we won't, first, Bradford's age and the reasonable belief that he could play for another 6-8 years, and more importantly, the timing of the injury. If we wait it out we could get lucky with an injury somewhere, although the fact that Romo has maybe 2 years left and is coming off all these injuries won't change. Of course the fact that Romo is actually good could counteract that compared to Bradford.

At the end of the day I'd be very happy with a 2nd and a mid-round pick, but obviously I'd push hard for a 1st and you have to be willing to say no and wait it out into 2017 training camp if that's what it takes.

No sentimentality here.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Romo goes to Denver next year. We meet them in the Super Bowl. The Cowboys have a lead lead late in the 4th and DeMarcus Ware causes and recovers a fumble. Romo throws the winning TD to Gavin Escobar as time runs out.

Wouldn't that be awesome?
:fyou

Don't make me call Bipo back in here.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed, I'd wait it out because team's are always more willing to give up picks in July/August with the draft 10 months away than in February in the middle of draft season.

The Eagles had two big things in their favor in that trade that we won't, first, Bradford's age and the reasonable belief that he could play for another 6-8 years, and more importantly, the timing of the injury. If we wait it out we could get lucky with an injury somewhere, although the fact that Romo has maybe 2 years left and is coming off all these injuries won't change. Of course the fact that Romo is actually good could counteract that compared to Bradford.

At the end of the day I'd be very happy with a 2nd and a mid-round pick, but obviously I'd push hard for a 1st and you have to be willing to say no and wait it out into 2017 training camp if that's what it takes.

No sentimentality here.
I guess you're assuming that the Vikings viewed Bradford as a long term starting QB when they made that trade. But that's not really the case. They made the move out of desperation when their real starting QB went down. I think they still go back to Bridgewater when he is healthy which means Bradford is nothing but a bandaid.

If that's the case who cares about the QB's age. Bradford is a 2 year solution for the Vikes just like Romo would be a 2 year solution for another team.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
It'd be ironic to face Denver in the SB with him as the Broncos QB-- and then Dallas turns out to be the team that crushes his Super Bowl dream. Ouch.
That's what I was thinking. We win on a Romo pick six.

Jiggyfly

Banned
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18104936/nfl-2016-adam-schefter-chris-mortensen-week-12-notebook-quarterbacks-swap-teams-2017
Quarterback market watch

As holiday shoppers make out their shopping lists, NFL teams already have theirs waiting, especially at the eclectic quarterback position, where teams have any number of ways in which they can spend their money.

The list of quarterbacks who could or will be available in the coming offseason is of a much higher profile than in the past, but each quarterback comes with his own questions. Still, the following is a list of QBs that teams such as the Bears, Jets, 49ers and others will be sifting through:

Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys

Though Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has no plans to move on from Romo, many people around the league believe Dallas will end up doing so. If and when it happens, the return on Romo might not be as great as expected. A random sampling of general managers revealed that Dallas could probably get back some sort of mid- to late-round conditional pick for Romo. One general manager predicted that Dallas would get back a fifth-round pick that could improve to a fourth, and another general manager projected the Cowboys could possibly get back a conditional mid-round pick for Romo, which provides a snapshot of the type of compensation the Cowboys could get should Jones decide to deal him. Plus, there's this: The Jones family and Romo are so close that they are expected to work together to find a comfortable landing spot for him. And when Romo selects the team that he'd like to go play for, the team will be resistant to surrender any more than it has to, knowing that Romo has identified that franchise as the place he wants to continue his career.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Where will Cowboys QB Tony Romo end up in 2017?
Tom Pelissero , USA TODAY Sports 1:23 p.m. EST November 18, 2016

When Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says he believes Tony Romo will quarterback a Super Bowl team and has another five years to play, it sure sounds like’s trying to build up some trade value.

Because to figure out what the Cowboys could get for Romo — whose emotional concession speech to star rookie Dak Prescott was “not a goodbye,” Jones told reporters Thursday — you have to start by considering the conversation that would take place elsewhere.

“Imagine me going to (the owner) and saying, ‘Listen, I’m going to make a trade for a 36-year-old that’s got back issues that’s a backup,’ ” one NFL general manager told USA TODAY Sports this week. “He’d be like, ‘You’re crazy.’ ”

Executives in personnel from five other NFL teams — all speaking on condition of anonymity because they’re not allowed to publicly discuss another team’s player — echoed concerns about considering Romo anything more than a one-year flyer, given his age and the injuries that have limited him to four starts over the past two seasons. That drives down the price.

But the message from those execs was clear: In a QB-deficient league, there would be a market if the Cowboys try to trade Romo, who returns from another back injury as Prescott’s backup Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens. It’s just a matter of how much a team is willing to gamble.

If you think you can win now, and the list of free-agent options starts with Jay Cutler (assuming he’s cut), Colin Kaepernick (assuming he voids his contract), Ryan Fitzpatrick, Case Keenum, Mike Glennon, EJ Manuel, Brian Hoyer, Blaine Gabbert, Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith, why not at least consider a four-time Pro Bowl pick who had his best season in 2014?

One GM guessed the Cowboys could get as much as a second-round draft pick, with the caveat Romo may have trouble passing a physical. Another executive predicted the Cowboys could ask for a second or third. Another said he thought a third was the ceiling.

Several other executives predicted the compensation would be much lower — perhaps a conditional late-round pick, which could become more based on performance and playing time.

One even guessed they’d get a sixth-rounder only because somebody will be desperate.

Among the potential suitors that come up: the New York Jets, Denver Broncos, Arizona Cardinals (if they dump Carson Palmer) and Chicago Bears. (The San Francisco 49ers need a QB, but it’s hard to envision Romo fitting in coach Chip Kelly’s system.) If more than one get team involved, the price figures to go up.

The Jets have traded for an old QB before, dealing a fourth-round pick that became a third for 38-year-old Brett Favre in August 2008. But Favre was coming off a stellar season with the Green Bay Packers.

A better comparison is Trent Green, who was 36 when the Miami Dolphins acquired him from the Kansas City Chiefs for a conditional fifth-round pick even though Green had missed eight games in 2006 because of a concussion. Green suffered another concussion in the season’s sixth game and didn’t play for Miami again.

Romo’s recent injuries — including three broken bones in his back and two collarbone breaks since 2014 — could be considered just as alarming from an investment standpoint.

As the first GM explained, neck and back issues are scary with older players, especially quarterbacks, forcing you to approach things as if that player will only play eight to 10 games. In that light, Romo’s relatively reasonable $14 million salary for 2017 may look less appetizing.

Compare it to the possibility of drafting and playing a healthy 22-year-old for a far lower price over the next four years. The group of QBs who may enter the 2017 draft isn’t considered as deep or talented as the Class of 2016, but some rise through the evaluation process every year.

The veteran market can always get shaken up by the unexpected — e.g. the Washington Redskins not tagging or re-signing Kirk Cousins, or the Buffalo Bills declining Tyrod Taylor’s option. But those are far less likely than Romo being available, even though Jones was quick to say Thursday it’s “not a consideration” for him to leave.

That’s another line people use to boost trade value, but nobody believes it here. If anything, there’s a sense that Jones, who has grown very close with Romo over 14 years, might grant Romo’s release if he asks for it, letting him choose his new home and giving the Cowboys some extra salary cap flexibility.

All this is without considering the possibility Romo plays again this season for one reason or another, giving him a chance to prove Jones right — and showcase himself for the rest of the league.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it will end up being a second rounder with at least a couple teams bidding against each other. When I look at the other QB options, Romo is far and away the best.

Top Bottom