Jaylon Smith Activated

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Speaking on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas, Cowboys executive Vice President Stephen Jones said the team will activate rookie linebacker Jaylon Smith from the non-football injury list but acknowledged Smith's routine will not change. By opening the practice window, the Cowboys just keep open the possibility of him playing but it remains unlikely Smith will see a snap as he continues to recover from a knee injury that included nerve damage from his final game at Notre Dame.

don't get too excited...

dallen

Senior Tech
I AM GETTING SO EXCITED

lostxn

DCC 4Life
In other injury news...

Morris Claiborne is aiming for late-season return

11:00 AM CT

Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

ARLINGTON, Texas – Dallas Cowboys cornerback Morris Claiborne isn’t sure he will be able to return during the regular season because of a groin injury suffered Oct. 30 against the Philadelphia Eagles.

In addition to the groin injury, Claiborne said he broke a piece of his pelvis on the non-contact play. He contemplated surgery after getting hurt but opted to hold off to see if it would heal without the operation.

“I don’t think I’m still out of the dark with [returning in the regular season] because I tore a piece of bone, so it’s supposed to be able to heal,” Claiborne said. “Just the whole time we’ve been giving it time to heal and in a couple of weeks we’ll get another MRI to see how it has come and see what the next step is from there. But I feel like it’s healing pretty good.”

Claiborne said he started doing resistance training last week for the first time, which gives him some hope. The Cowboys have replaced Claiborne in the starting lineup with Orlando Scandrick and used rookie Anthony Brown as the third cornerback.

Claiborne, who will be a free agent when the season ends, was off to the best start of his career. He was credited with 36 tackles by the coaches, with two tackles for loss, an interception, five pass deflections and a fumble recovery.

"I’m still shooting for this season,” Claiborne said. “Whether it’s the next-to-last game, the last game, playoffs, that’s what I’m still shooting for.”

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wish they would give us more info about his leg. Clearly it's better or they wouldn't just shelved him for the season.
The nerve is firing but that's really all we know at this point. This just gives us a little time in case we want to use him this year. Same thing with McFadden. Basically keeping the option alive in case we have an injury.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, we have a 21 day window once he comes off NFI to put him on (and have him start counting against) the active roster. So at that point he could be on the active roster and just be not dressed every game, like Romo was all season, or he could actually be dressed and playing, or we could turn around at that point and put him on IR.

But by leaving him on NFI past tomorrow we no longer would have the option to take him off NFI.

So this means nothing and a lot at the same time. On one hand, I think a guy like James Hanna is gonna stay on NFI. That means they have no hope for him, he is done for the year. So by activating Jaylon Smith from NFI we must have some hope.

On the other hand this does not at all mean he's ready to play tomorrow or even in three weeks or even this season at all. It might be one of those things that you just wake up one day and it works, so we are just buying ourselves theee more weeks as a shot in the dark, without actually affirmatively having info to believe he will be ready.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Wonder who we dump with him and McFadden both coming back.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Hopefully Dunbar is one of them
He's a very decent third down back. Excels at picking up blitzers and is elusive out of the backfield. I'd rather dump RB McFadden. CB McFadden is needed given the injuries.

hstour

Brand New Member
Wonder who we dump with him and McFadden both coming back.
Don't have to dump anyone. There is a 3 week roster exemption for players coming off NFI where they can practice but not be active for games.

It's basically a clerical (status on paper) move that lets them work with the team that they had to do or else he couldn't come off. If after 3 weeks they aren't ready to activate them, they go on injured reserve and are done for the year.

Or, what MSchmidt64 said.

Top Bottom