2016 Senior Bowl Stuff...

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
That stuff about Hackenberg is very true. I know some heads would explode if we drafted him but I still think his ceiling is pretty high if he sits and learns for a couple years. He'd have to fall to the third round though.
Franklin definitely didn't do him any favors the way he used him. He was much better than what he showed the last year or so. I still think he'll just be a decent, not great, NFL QB. If we don't go QB early I wouldn't mind taking him in the 4th. I think top of 3rd is too early for him, but he probably won't last til the 4th knowing what the QB market is like. It is possible someone even gambles on him late in the 2nd. Hogan is another one I think would be a good pick in the 4th or 5th.
What's interesting to me is my former HS played and beat Hackenburg's team for the state championship his senior year, and my HS only had 1-2 DI prospects. I was surprised at the time that Hackenburg was one of the nations top QB recruits. He's definitely better than what he showed under Franklin at PSU but I don't think he has a high ceiling. But he can be a mid-tier starter in the league.

I agree. The thing with the browns is they're likely looking for a more or less immediate starter, so I'd guess after all is said and done Goff is their guy.
I would think so too. On one hand I like Wentz' size and intangibles better. But on the other I kind of hope the Browns fall for the hype and we get the more polished QB in Goff. But depending on how Wentz performs this week and in the workouts and combine that may change one way or the other.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Goff is the more accurate passer. I'm totally ok with him. Goff made the most NFL looking throws of all the QBs in this draft in my opinion. Meaning he completed passes into tight coverage by using great accuracy.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Christian Hackenburg:

Although he has special arm talent, the tape shows flawed decision-making, poor pocket awareness and streaky accuracy due to unstable mechanics. There is no question that Hackenberg will benefit from NFL coaching, but the game still moves at light speed for him and hasn't shown signs of slowing down - is he already damaged goods?

Overall, the physical traits and arm strength are ideal for the NFL, but Hackenberg doesn't show a natural feel for the game and lacks a strong grasp in three critical areas of playing the position: touch, placement and decision-making.

--Dane Brugler (1/6/16)

------------
But, as one analyst said, NFL scouts don't want to see a quarterback's freshman season be his best. Hackenberg's completion percentage has dropped each season, from 58.9 percent as a freshman to 53.3 this season, as he has navigated through two different coaching staffs, offenses and philosophies.

"It's really hard to put a first- or even second-round grade on a quarterback who struggles with accuracy the way Hackenberg has struggled," said Todd McShay, ESPN's director off college football scouting. "Accuracy, to me, is the No. 1 trait when evaluating a quarterback."

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That stuff about Hackenberg is very true. I know some heads would explode if we drafted him but I still think his ceiling is pretty high if he sits and learns for a couple years. He'd have to fall to the third round though.
I'd prefer Connor Cook if I'm taking a QB after the first. Especially now that it kind of looks like Connor is in a bit of a free fall and might not be that fourth QB taken any longer. Cook just looks like a much more natural and comfortable thrower. Hackenberg just looks so uncomfortable and unnatural throwing the ball.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I'd prefer Connor Cook if I'm taking a QB after the first. Especially now that it kind of looks like Connor is in a bit of a free fall and might not be that fourth QB taken any longer. Cook just looks like a much more natural and comfortable thrower. Hackenberg just looks so uncomfortable and unnatural throwing the ball.
Cook is probably the 4th QB, but I wouldn't take him with our 2nd pick. Way too many better players that can be had that high. If he fell I'd look at him in the 3rd, but I think he'll go before that since teams overdraft QB's.

All of the analysts have this as an avg. QB class. I don't like Prescott or Cardale. If we pass on QB in the first, I don't think there's any worth taking in the 2nd or 3rd which is probably where Cook, Prescott and even Cardale go. That basically leaves Hackenberg, Hogan, Coker, Allen and Kessler in the 4th-6th round range. All have weaknesses which is expected of QB's on day 3. Of that group I probably prefer Hogan or Hackenberg, but we'd be lucky to get a future solid starter at that point. Probably get a guy we hope could develop and at least be a solid long term backup.

I just hope Jerry doesn't do his old knee jerk reaction to what is happening in the league and think Prescott or Cardale could be a poor man's Cam or Russell Wilson. If so we'll probably be looking at Quincy II.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Wentz-a-mania running wild.

Cotton

Staff member
Wentz-a-mania running wild.
I have fully bought in now. Which means my heartache the first day of the draft is going to just hurt that much more.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'll always look back fondly on the days where I watched low quality clips of Wentz playing South Dakota or Weber St. while all these Twitter fuckbois wouldn't have known the difference between him and Jeff Driskel if they saw them both walking down the street.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'll always look back fondly on the days where I watched low quality clips of Wentz playing South Dakota or Weber St. while all these Twitter fuckbois wouldn't have known the difference between him and Jeff Driskel if they saw them both walking down the street.
:wave

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Cotton

Staff member
:towel

Top Bottom