2015-16 Championship Game Gameday Chatter | 1/24/2016

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cam has been pretty good his whole career. He just took it to another level this seaosn
Yeah, he wasn't very good in 2014. I think that's sort of why people were down on him coming into this year. In 2014 his QB rating was 82. His YPA was down in the 6's. He wasn't very good and it kind of looked like maybe he was regressing a little. Could have easily been because he was pretty beat up back in 2014. His 99 QB rating this season though is way higher then he has ever had in any previous season.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Before this season Cam Newton wasn't even the next Cam Newton. There was a goddamn debate this offseason about who is better, Cam Newton or Tannehill. So lets not pretend that Cam Newton has been the greatest thing since sliced bread for very long.
Reminds me of Steve McNair. Big QB with a physical running style good arm talent but took a while to develop. It all kind of came together for him in his 5th year where he went to the SB and gave Kurt Warner's team of destiny a hell of a game. The only downside I see with Cam is that physical running style, McNair went to some pro bowls and shared an MVP, but the hits did add up eventually. He was playing without practicing at the end of his career.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
His numbers compare very well to Roethlisberger over his 1st 5 years.

He also has never had top flight skill position talent or a great o-line, he is having a all time great year while having garbage at WR, to blossom under these circumstances is astounding.

And let's not forget it's only his 5th year.
And Roethlisberger is another one who owes a huge part of his early success to the team/team concept that he had around him, probably even more so than Newton does. He improved individually as the years went on, we'll see if that happens with Newton too.

My point is that Newton didn't come in to the league dominating, he had a coaching staff that nurtured him within the framework of a team concept that accentuated his strengths and minimized his weaknesses, if Wentz finds himself in the same circumstances I think he will have similar success.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And Roethlisberger is another one who owes a huge part of his early success to the team/team concept that he had around him, probably even more so than Newton does. He improved individually as the years went on, we'll see if that happens with Newton too.

My point is that Newton didn't come in to the league dominating, he had a coaching staff that nurtured him within the framework of a team concept that accentuated his strengths and minimized his weaknesses, if Wentz finds himself in the same circumstances I think he will have similar success.
The Panthers defense is really impressive this year though. They are a lot of what I wish Dallas would do. They have big stout dominating DTs. They create a ton of turnovers. They tackle extremely well and have a safety that is actually a ballhawk. Kurt Coleman for example this year has 7 picks. Could you imagine any of the safeties on our roster having that type of a season? Kawann Short is a massive DT at 6'3" 315 lbs who also managed to have 11 sacks this season. Talk about a guy can stuff the run and get after the QB. The only DT's we seem to think can rush the passer are 285 lb DE/DT tweeners.

The passer rating of QB's against that defense is 73.5. Now that's a truly impressive statistic.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The Panthers defense is really impressive this year though. They are a lot of what I wish Dallas would do. They have big stout dominating DTs. They create a ton of turnovers. They tackle extremely well and have a safety that is actually a ballhawk. Kurt Coleman for example this year has 7 picks. Could you imagine any of the safeties on our roster having that type of a season? Kawann Short is a massive DT at 6'3" 315 lbs who also managed to have 11 sacks this season. Talk about a guy can stuff the run and get after the QB. The only DT's we seem to think can rush the passer are 285 lb DE/DT tweeners.

The passer rating of QB's against that defense is 73.5. Now that's a truly impressive statistic.
True although I think Kurt Coleman is having somewhat of a fluke career season behind probably the best DT/LB combo in the league right now, and on a defense that is playing from ahead alot. Kind of like Bruce Carter having 5 picks last year and then disappearing.

I do agree that I would love to have a defense built like theirs. We have the beginnings of something like that with guys like Lawrence, Crawford, Gregory and Lee, although there are certainly question marks there in terms of Lee's health and Gregory's development. If we can add a run-stuffing DT in the middle that can give us 4-8 sacks a year I think that would catapult our defense in alot of ways, we also need one more reliable LB who can play 3 downs and a competent safety next to Jones.

Now, you can find guys like that in different places, or you get lucky and you get a guy you pull off the scrap heap like Coleman who has a career year. I'm hoping we can sign a safety like Weddle or Gipson and/or a LB like Danny Trevathan, Demario Davis or Zach Brown, fill a couple holes through free agency with mid-tier signings and go from there.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
heap like Coleman who has a career year. I'm hoping we can sign a safety like Weddle or Gipson and/or a LB like Danny Trevathan, Demario Davis or Zach Brown, fill a couple holes through free agency with mid-tier signings and go from there.
Zach Brown has always been a guy that I think has got a raw deal and could work out.

Trevathan will probably cost a mint.

As far as safeties, since we are allergic to veterans, I guess we hand Gipson a $100M 10 year contract.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Run stuffing DT not a priority. Get with it.

One technique will always be manned by JAGs here.

Who needs a big run stuffer? Useless.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I like Weddle but he's going to be pricey, probably over-pricey. Plus he's 31. Still not too old but his best days are likely behind him. If we were in the SB hunt and he'd be one of the few pieces remaining and the price worked out I'd do it. But now, probably not.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we were in the SB hunt and he'd be one of the few pieces remaining and the price worked out I'd do it. But now, probably not.
We will be in the superbowl hunt next year with a healthy Romo. The healthy part is a huge question but I wouldn't approach the off season like a rebuilding team either.

I also think Weddle could be more reasonably priced because of his age and coming off a season where he missed a few games. I wouldn't pay a high price for him but for the right price I would bring him in. Honestly, I'd cut Church outright and go and get a safety in free agency. But I'm sure Dallas will hold serve at the position in free agency yet again.

Top Bottom