2016 POTUS Election Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

townsend

Banned
You realize the reason rules are tilted in some people's favor has to do with over regulation right?
That's the issue with capitalism, it can metastasize outside of economics. The current issue, which is a constant issue, is that when industry dictates government regulation we end up with low competition and high concentrations of wealth. It's way harder to start a company to compete with our corporate overlords after all.
It doesn't make regulation, or capitalism bad, but one can be used to abuse the other if an imbalance occurs.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
There's also the campaign finance and lobbying problems.

Corporations are classified as entities with free speech rights, and unborn babies with a heartbeat are classified as bundles of cells. It's wild.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It doesn't make regulation bad
Here is the problem with over regulation. It creates an artificial barrier that prevents true competition. Obviously some regulation is necessary but it should be a bare minimum. Everyone gets pissed off at the pharmacutical company when a kid buys a drug and raises the price astronomically. The reason he was able to do it was because of the ridiculous regulation America has. If you want to fix things look no further then the FDA's approval process which prevents competition from ever having a chance of developing.

townsend

Banned
Here is the problem with over regulation. It creates an artificial barrier that prevents true competition. Obviously some regulation is necessary but it should be a bare minimum. Everyone gets pissed off at the pharmacutical company when a kid buys a drug and raises the price astronomically. The reason he was able to do it was because of the ridiculous regulation America has. If you want to fix things look no further then the FDA's approval process which prevents competition from ever having a chance of developing.
I think that's the way Libertarians and liberals can get on the same page. Vigorous antitrust legislation and controls on lobbying/campaign donations make sense for everyone.

I feel like there's a lot of BS politicking used to keep people at each other's throats over semantics. When we all know that government is beholden to enormous corporations, and something needs to be in place to allow for fair competition. That means we need more of the right kind of regulation and less of the wrong kind.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
How does it help me?

It may not harm me personally but they have an effect on that industry and how it affects wages and that affects society overall.
It isn't supposed to help you. The system allows you to help yourself. The right you have is to pursue happiness but there is no provision for someone else to make your happiness for you.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I think that's the way Libertarians and liberals can get on the same page. Vigorous antitrust legislation and controls on lobbying/campaign donations make sense for everyone.

I feel like there's a lot of BS politicking used to keep people at each other's throats over semantics. When we all know that government is beholden to enormous corporations, and something needs to be in place to allow for fair competition. That means we need more of the right kind of regulation and less of the wrong kind.
What many people (not including you) conveniently forget is that Libertarians share views which are both liberal and conservative because we care about freedom, liberty, and opportunity.

Jiggyfly

Banned
It isn't supposed to help you. The system allows you to help yourself. The right you have is to pursue happiness but there is no provision for someone else to make your happiness for you.
What does any of that have to do with anything I have ever said?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
How are the 62 richest people in the world related to the American presidential election? Are they all American? I doubt the majority even are.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Also, the implication that rest of us are struggling while the top 62 take gold dubloon baths every night is astoundingly false.

townsend

Banned
Also, the implication that rest of us are struggling while the top 62 take gold dubloon baths every night is astoundingly false.
I think it's safe to say that we're hitting another era of robber barons. Mega Corporations represent the interests of a very small percentage of the earth, but laws and treaties are tailored for those interests against everyone else.

The next poor person that gets cancer from lax environmental standards is who's lost money to those top 62, the half of the world that's in a horrific drought thanks, in part, to climate change (which everyone blames oil for but conveniently forgets about how much methane from livestock contributes to climate change)

We aren't just seeing the poor get poorer while the rich get richer (they are though) we're seeing the health and safety, liberty and economic mobility of the other classes sacrifices to serve a fraction of a fraction of the population's wealth.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
What does any of that have to do with anything I have ever said?
It has this to do with what you just said. You have a problem with some wealthy people and I said how does that harm you. Your response was how does that help me. My response was it isn't supposed to help you. Etc.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
It has this to do with what you just said. You have a problem with some wealthy people and I said how does that harm you. Your response was how does that help me. My response was it isn't supposed to help you. Etc.
How it harms the rest of us should be obvious considering the state of the economy and the collapse of bubble markets as these people play with the economy rather than contributing to it. You pretend we have this fair openly competitive capitalist system and we certainly do not. We have a bunch of mega corporations rewriting the laws to suit themselves by bribing the shit out of every congressman and bureaucrat they can lay their hands on. Some of that power structure needs to be broken up before the middle class disappears entirely.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think it's safe to say that we're hitting another era of robber barons. Mega Corporations represent the interests of a very small percentage of the earth, but laws and treaties are tailored for those interests against everyone else.

The next poor person that gets cancer from lax environmental standards is who's lost money to those top 62, the half of the world that's in a horrific drought thanks, in part, to climate change (which everyone blames oil for but conveniently forgets about how much methane from livestock contributes to climate change)

We aren't just seeing the poor get poorer while the rich get richer (they are though) we're seeing the health and safety, liberty and economic mobility of the other classes sacrifices to serve a fraction of a fraction of the population's wealth.
Pure horseshit. Statistically people in this country live better than any generation before them and I have lived long enough to confirm this personally. Chances are good that your lifestyle will also improve if you continue to apply yourself. Why do you think folks from all over the globe are doing everything to come here. The few wealthy does not control the fates of the less fortunate in the world. Ideologies and political leaders do.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Pure horseshit. Statistically people in this country live better than any generation before them and I have lived long enough to confirm this personally. Chances are good that your lifestyle will also improve if you continue to apply yourself. Why do you think folks from all over the globe are doing everything to come here. The few wealthy does not control the fates of the less fortunate in the world. Ideologies and political leaders do.
People in your generation are doing just fine. Most of the younger generation are buried under crippling student loan debt or looking to make minimum wage for the rest of their lives.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
How it harms the rest of us should be obvious considering the state of the economy and the collapse of bubble markets as these people play with the economy rather than contributing to it. You pretend we have this fair openly competitive capitalist system and we certainly do not. We have a bunch of mega corporations rewriting the laws to suit themselves by bribing the shit out of every congressman and bureaucrat they can lay their hands on. Some of that power structure needs to be broken up before the middle class disappears entirely.
If you want to take the path the someone else is responsible for your lack of opportunity then chances are you will continue to feel defeated. Most of your future path depends on you short of health or tragedy occurrences.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
People in your generation are doing just fine. Most of the younger generation are buried under crippling student loan debt or looking to make minimum wage for the rest of their lives.
Well who created these debts for them?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
If you want to take the path the someone else is responsible for your lack of opportunity then chances are you will continue to feel defeated. Most of your future path depends on you short of health or tragedey occurrences.
We're talking about politics and the economy, not your bullshit philosophy. The nonsense you're spewing would make just as much sense directed at anyone regardless of what country they were in or what government they were under.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Well who created these debts for them?
A massively corrupt university system, your generation stripping trade education to the bone, and the fact that they were indoctrinated from kindergarten on that college was the only way to have "a future".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom