The Great Police Work Thread

Jiggyfly

Banned
Culturally, I think a distrust of authority, specifically the police force has been bubbling for a while. Kids are perceived to be raised that way and frankly stereotypes have gotten worse since the advent of hip hop culture. That leads to white fear, especially when these dumb asses are placed in situations of stress.
Yep.

Cops also have no sense of the communities they work in as in the past, I think personal interaction is practically nil at this point.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yep.

Cops also have no sense of the communities they work in as in the past, I think personal interaction is practically nil at this point.
Sure, that has a big part.

But now, to flip to the other side. What have black communities done to embrace the aspect of personal interaction?

I don't think a #blacklivesmatter banner is the right way to go about it.

There is fault on both sides. One is getting brutalized, the other lacks empathy because the divide gets worsened by continued segregation.

Of course, now black men feel OMG, I am gonna get killed if I get pulled over. Meanwhile, Nelson Muntz is scared of the angry movement that has been building since Trayvon Martin was slain.

There is no simple solution.

What I don't think is exactly helping matters is the #blacklivesmatter movement. That just continues to drive a wedge and that dumbshit redneck cop is not going to be swayed.

I think we should already understand by now that black people have been oppressed by authorities. I mean seriously, do we really need continued rallies and marches to describe the self-evident? How about starting more dialogue. How about one guy step up and do more than play the victim card. We already know the crime and who it was committed against.

I would like one influential black leader to concentrate on the global problem, not just perpetuating victimization which probably is pretty clear by now.

This whole thing is enflamed and frankly, there is nobody concerned enough, influential enough or even smart enough to address that issue head on.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

But now, to flip to the other side. What have black communities done to embrace the aspect of personal interaction?

There is fault on both sides. One is getting brutalized, the other lacks empathy because the divide gets worsened by continued segregation.

Of course, now black men feel OMG, I am gonna get killed if I get pulled over. Meanwhile, Nelson Muntz is scared of the angry movement that has been building since Trayvon Martin was slain.

What I don't think is exactly helping matters is the #blacklivesmatter movement. That just continues to drive a wedge and that dumbshit redneck cop is not going to be swayed.

I think we should already understand by now that black people have been oppressed by authorities. I mean seriously, do we really need continued rallies and marches to describe the self-evident? How about starting more dialogue. How about one guy step up and do more than play the victim card. We already know the crime and who it was committed against.

I would like one influential black leader to concentrate on the global problem, not just perpetuating victimization which probably is pretty clear by now.

This whole thing is enflamed and frankly, there is nobody concerned enough, influential enough or even smart enough to address that issue head on.
I think you said it well, and I agree with you. It's not as one-sided as some would make it seem. There is an obvious disconnect that is widening. That widening is being fueled by something. I believe it probably is a number of things. Training, and interactions in the field, are probably the biggest two that need work.

Jiggyfly

Banned

I agree wholeheartedly with you there is to much extreme on both sides.

But let me flip it again.

Why is all of the contortion to give every cop the benefit of the doubt and then dredge up anything negative that the victim has done in the past?

You had people in this thread saying Sandra Bland cigarette could have been construed as a weapon or in the Trayvon case people using his Facebook post or pot being in his system to paint him as a thug.

I am no fan of blacklivesmatter, I think they are more about attention seeking than constructive dialogue but I also realize sometimes agitation is needed to bring attention to real issues and you need some people to not be immediatley turned off and too try and understand the root issue.

There are reasonable black people speaking about these issues Ron Ford is one of them but lets face it in todays media the the loudest voice gets the attention.

Blacklivesmatter do not speak for the all black people like Sharpton does not speak for all black people.

I am truly heartened to hear you speak about this in a even manner and I hope more people can have an open dialogue without defalting to finger pointing on both sides.

Jiggyfly

Banned
This is the crap I am talking about.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

As though past crimes make it acceptable to kill a man. I think part of the problem sometimes is that people are judged ahead of time because they have a criminal record.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, I just heard about that. Fuck man. This is getting so far out of hand, it's like an Israeli/Palestinian level of unrest.
It's a bad state we are in. There seems to be no way to get out of it. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I feel like the more we make it about race, the worse it will get.

BipolarFuk

Demoted

This is fucking bullshit. All this guy had is traffic violations.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Well, to be fair, the cops didn't know his record when they were fighting with him.
Cops weren't fighting with Philando. He was shot while reaching for his fucking wallet like the fucking pig told him to do.

Cotton

Staff member
Such perfect and beautiful words...

Cotton

Staff member
Cops weren't fighting with Philando. He was shot while reaching for his fucking wallet like the fucking pig told him to do.
I wasn't talking about him. Nor was anyone else in that string of posts.

Top Bottom