Archer: Cowboys rolling dice with backup quarterback spot again

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys rolling dice with backup quarterback spot again
May 7, 2016
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- It’s easy to say the Dallas Cowboys were 4-12 in 2015 because Tony Romo played in only four games because of a twice broken left collarbone.

While that is correct, there needs to be more explanation. The Cowboys were in almost every game they played without Romo and the offense could not deliver enough with Brandon Weeden, Matt Cassel or Kellen Moore at quarterback.

The Cowboys went 1-11 without Romo last year. They are 1-13 without Romo since 2013.

And yet the Cowboys are potentially entering the 2016 season with an even less experienced backup quarterback situation than in 2015.

At least Weeden had started 21 games entering last season.

If what is said in May can still be true in September, the Cowboys will go into the season with Moore as the No. 2, followed by fourth-round pick Dak Prescott. Jameill Showers spent most of last year on the practice squad, but he worked more on special teams than at quarterback.

“Well, we’re excited about the guys we have on our roster right now,” coach Jason Garrett said. “Kellen is deserving of an opportunity to be our backup quarterback. We like that we drafted Dak in the fourth round. We’re going to give him every chance as we go here. Showers is going to move back into the quarterback room permanently now. We’re going to give those guys a chance to show what they can do.”

The Cowboys were more protected at backup quarterback earlier in Romo’s career. In 2007, they had Brad Johnson, a Super Bowl winner. Later they traded for Jon Kitna. In 2012, they signed Kyle Orton to a large contract.

In the last two years they have not spent big in either free agency or the draft on a backup quarterback.

In Week 3, the Cowboys made a deal with the Buffalo Bills for Cassel, hoping the veteran’s starting experience would help them, but he never felt comfortable in the offense. The coaches never felt comfortable in the three starts made by Weeden, who helped the Houston Texans win two games late in the season to secure a playoff spot.

Moore played in the final three games, starting the last two. He finished the season with 779 yards on 61-of-104 passing with four touchdowns and six interceptions. He was sacked five times and also lost a fumble.

But the promise shown by Moore in a 34-23 loss to the Washington Redskins has kept the Cowboys intrigued. He completed 33-of-48 passes for 435 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions, but Washington was not playing with all of its regulars that game.

“He has certainly earned an opportunity to compete for that No. 2 spot,” Garrett said. “He did a good job all throughout practice last year. I think he learned our system more and more as the season went on, and when he had a chance to play at the end of the year he did a lot of good things for us. He helped us move the ball, he scored some points in the last game and I thought we threw the ball fairly well. He’s a smart player, he’s very instinctive, he’s got a good feel for playing the position and he’s got a good feel for leading the ball club.”

The Cowboys did not get deep into the process to sign either Colt McCoy or Chase Daniel. They had Matt Moore in for a visit, but he ultimately remained with the Miami Dolphins. In the draft, the Cowboys tried to trade back into the first round for Paxton Lynch but eventually selected Prescott.

Other opportunities will present themselves in the offseason should Moore show he’s not worthy of the role. Veterans such as Josh McCown or Nick Foles could be available at different prices in a trade or in free agency.

Executive vice president Stephen Jones likes to say the player acquisition business is 365 days a year.

The Cowboys might not be actively shopping, but they should be peering through the window of the storefront to know what’s available.

They don’t have to look that far back to see what happened when they were caught short at backup quarterback.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Cowboys were more protected at backup quarterback earlier in Romo’s career. In 2007, they had Brad Johnson, a Super Bowl winner. Later they traded for Jon Kitna. In 2012, they signed Kyle Orton to a large contract.
I'm not sure if this is just a short memory or if this is someone who wasn't actually watching the Cowboys back then. Brad Johnson was literally one of the worst backup QBs I have witnessed in Dallas. That guy physically couldn't throw the ball past 10 yards.

Having Kitna or Orton right now would be pretty nice but honestly I don't see them in free agency. I don't want to waste my time and effort again on a washed up never has been like Cassel simply because he has started some games in the NFL. Kellen Moore sucks from a physical tools standpoint but he knows this overly complicated offense probably as well as anyone not named Romo. So I'd rather roll the dice with him for now. Ultimately I want Dak to become the number 2 guy anyway.

Last edited:

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I'm not sure if this is just a short memory or if this is someone who wasn't actually watching the Cowboys back then. Brad Johnson was literally one of the worst backup QBs I have witnessed in Dallas. That guy physically couldn't throw the ball past 10 yards.
Yep, he was awful. And Archer was definitely here. Just very lazy writing.

I guess maybe his point was that the team was at least trying to find a good backup then. Now, we pretty much know Kellen Moore can't play.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess maybe his point was that the team was at least trying to find a good backup then. Now, we pretty much know Kellen Moore can't play.
We all knew Brad Johnson sucked back then. And honestly should have known for example that Cassel blew last year (The Bills had cut him for gods sake and then resigned him, shows you sort of how little concern they had for losing him).

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We all knew Brad Johnson sucked back then. And honestly should have known for example that Cassel blew last year (The Bills had cut him for gods sake and then resigned him, shows you sort of how little concern they had for losing him).
I told the board when they brought Cassell in he wouldn't be an improvement over Weeden.

Last edited:

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I told the board when they brought Cassell in he wouldn't be an movement over Weeden.
Thats like arguing over the shiny turd.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Don't recall ever seeing a shiny turd. Think I'll pass.
You saw them both if you watched the Cowboy games this past season.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Oh. I saw more of a dull and ugly pair of dog droppings. :art

Top Bottom