The Beer Thread

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member

Pretty good stuff.
It is good. If you come across Backwoods Bastard give that a try. It is also a Scotch Ale but it is barrel-aged and a bit stronger than Dirty Bastard.

Founders stouts are excellent as well. The Breakfast Stout is available year around and is really good. The KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) comes out a couple times a year and most places limit you to one or maybe two bottles and sell out with teh quickness. It is a "wow" beer for sure & something you should definitely try if you can get your hands on it. Truly outstanding.

Playmaker

Brand New Member
It is good. If you come across Backwoods Bastard give that a try. It is also a Scotch Ale but it is barrel-aged and a bit stronger than Dirty Bastard.

Founders stouts are excellent as well. The Breakfast Stout is available year around and is really good. The KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) comes out a couple times a year and most places limit you to one or maybe two bottles and sell out with teh quickness. It is a "wow" beer for sure & something you should definitely try if you can get your hands on it. Truly outstanding.
I've been trying to find KBS for years, haven't found it yet. Backwoods Bastard is very good.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I've been trying to find KBS for years, haven't found it yet. Backwoods Bastard is very good.
It is a limited release beer that comes out maybe a couple times a year. It isn't a beer you can just walk into a a store and find a six pack sitting on the shelves, at least not in Texas and probably not even in Michigan where it is brewed. Here in Austin a handful of places around the city will get a small amount and usually limit customers to one 12 oz bottle and it sells out immediately. Your best shot at getting some is talking to places with the best beer selection in your area in advance to find out if they will be getting some (check online for release dates) and make sure you are there as soon as it goes on sale.

Playmaker

Brand New Member
It is a limited release beer that comes out maybe a couple times a year. It isn't a beer you can just walk into a a store and find a six pack sitting on the shelves, at least not in Texas and probably not even in Michigan where it is brewed. Here in Austin a handful of places around the city will get a small amount and usually limit customers to one 12 oz bottle and it sells out immediately. Your best shot at getting some is talking to places with the best beer selection in your area in advance to find out if they will be getting some (check online for release dates) and make sure you are there as soon as it goes on sale.
It comes out in February. Found 2 places that will have it. One place is a bottle store they'll be selling it on tap and in 4 packs. The other place is a distributor and will be selling it by the case for $120.00. This may finally be the year.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member

Best beer I've had in quite a while. I'm not real big on most of Adelbert's beer, but they are on to something with this Oddwood Ales side project. Taming the Savage Heart is outstanding (overly-dramatic name aside). Highly recommended if you like wild ales/sours and can find it, but I'm not sure if they distribute outside of Austin yet.

Last edited:

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
It comes out in February. Found 2 places that will have it. One place is a bottle store they'll be selling it on tap and in 4 packs. The other place is a distributor and will be selling it by the case for $120.00. This may finally be the year.
So did you get one or no?

Playmaker

Brand New Member
So did you get one or no?
No, I stopped in yesterday to ask about it. It released the end of February in Michigan, the guy said it'd be the end of march till they had it in. I did have a Founders Imperil Stout yesterday. it was very good and at 10.4 abc it packed a punch. And for $11.00 a 4 pack it better.

Last edited:

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I drank like 13 High Lifes last night.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Try not to shit yourself during one of your crop dusting missions.
I've a tolerance, but am also aware of physical limitations.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Picked up a 6er of this here fine brew while up at the in-laws a couple weekends ago.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member

Picked up a 6er of this here fine brew while up at the in-laws a couple weekends ago.
How was it? Most of what I have had from Great Divide has been pretty good. I have been to the brewery/tap room a couple times because it is a few blocks from where my sister lives.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
How was it? Most of what I have had from Great Divide has been pretty good. I have been to the brewery/tap room a couple times because it is a few blocks from where my sister lives.
It was damn good, but not what I was expecting. Figured it would be light and crisp, but it got on me quick. Where are they from?

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
It was damn good, but not what I was expecting. Figured it would be light and crisp, but it got on me quick. Where are they from?
Denver. I have mostly had IPAs and barrel aged stuff of theirs and it has all been all relatively strong to very strong. I just looked that one up and it is 8.7% ABV so that is why it got on you quickly. That is a pretty strong ale. Generally Great Divide doesn't seem to do light and crisp.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
So like a lot of places, Austin has been absolutely inundated with new breweries/brew pubs over the past 5+ years. Many of the most recently opened are in East Austin very near my office. There is a new brewery a half block away and two more within six blocks. I just saw today that a brewpub is opening this fall about a block and a half away. This one is kind of different in way though as it is being opened by a pastor as kind of an extension of his ministry. Not that crazy of a concept for a "man of God" to brew beer as the trappist monks in Europe have been doing it for centuries and make some of the best beer in the world, but it is a little unusual in the U.S. I think.

This one is going to be called Lazarus Brewing and I found this video of the owner giving some background and trying to raise some money to get it going before they had found a location.

Last edited:

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I just got a KBS. My favorite local beer store had a very limited supply and it was one per customer. If I can get another bottle or two elsewhere while it is around I will but am happy I got one.

Top Bottom