JJT: Fear of Tony Romo injury shouldn't make Cowboys reach for quarterback

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
but I think it's naive to assume that all of those RB's will work out in the NFL.
It's not really that much "bigger" risk. That's just the RB position for you. It's a position that you see a ton of good players and they either thrive or fail based on their environment. The same reason why you think it's unlikely Elliott busts in Dallas is the exact same reason why those guys aren't very likely to bust in Dallas either. And the same reason someone like Elliott could bust in Cleveland or Philly is the same reason why good RBs go to those teams and don't perform.

Ultimately what you're really looking at is value above replacement. I just don't see it there with Elliott. The allure of him isn't that he is that much more of a dominant runner then other guys. His allure is that he is the "complete package." Basically he can run, catch and block. All very nice things but I still believe that Dallas just needs to run the ball lots and that the actual runner doesn't make that much of a difference.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It's not really that much "bigger" risk. That's just the RB position for you. It's a position that you see a ton of good players and they either thrive or fail based on their environment. The same reason why you think it's unlikely Elliott busts in Dallas is the exact same reason why those guys aren't very likely to bust in Dallas either. And the same reason someone like Elliott could bust in Cleveland or Philly is the same reason why good RBs go to those teams and don't perform.

Ultimately what you're really looking at is value above replacement. I just don't see it there with Elliott. The allure of him isn't that he is that much more of a dominant runner then other guys. His allure is that he is the "complete package." Basically he can run, catch and block. All very nice things but I still believe that Dallas just needs to run the ball lots and that the actual runner doesn't make that much of a difference.
This is true to an extent although I don't think the allure of him is that he's just a "complete package". He is probably the most well rounded RB to come out in a very long time but it just isn't that. He's physical between the tackles and has home-run hitting speed. He isn't Peterson but a 225 lb RB running in the mid-4.4's with his balance and power is impressive.

Then you have to consider that this guy basically carried his team to the title in 2014.

230 yards and 2 TD's against Alabama, and we all know how strong their run defense was this year with Reed and Robinson, not to mention Jon Allen, Ragland and then in 2014 they also had CJ Mosley. Then 246 yards and 4 TD's against Oregon in the title game against Armstead and Buckner, two top 20 picks on the interior of their DL.

Of course Ohio St. has amazing talent surrounding him but he was going up against defenses littered with NFL players and completely dominated.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Of course Ohio St. has amazing talent surrounding him but he was going up against defenses littered with NFL players and completely dominated.
Ohio State also boasts possibly the best offensive mind in college football. A coach who wins everywhere he goes, with or witout Elliott. I also haven't forgotten about the baby fit Elliott threw after Ohio State lost to Michigan State where he basically said he was done with the team and ready to move on to the pros. It'sIt's why I think if Elliott struggles with a bad team things could go south quickly with him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bill Polian has endorsed him as a game changing player.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Let's not forget Elliot is also just 20 years old, he might be a RB worth a second contract, a good chance at that since from all I've seen this guy has that Emmitt like desire to be the best.
And with some luck he just might be TD to Romo's Elway, let's not forget how good Romo looked with Murray and nor he nor the line at the time were as good as Zeke and the current and close future OL is.
I want a QB, but missing that Elliott is as good if not better choice as any.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
My feelings as well. No QB, and you are playing short ball, he is the best bet. Will have a chance to win more games than Ramsey or Bosa.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
My feelings as well. No QB, and you are playing short ball, he is the best bet. Will have a chance to win more games than Ramsey or Bosa.
Without Romo you're talking the difference between 4-12 and 6-12. So who cares.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Without Romo you're talking the difference between 4-12 and 6-12. So who cares.
But with Romo, you are talking 8-8 versus 10-6. So yeah, I care.

Romo needs a real running game to be at his most effective. Not a pretend one with McFadden and now, Alfred Morris.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Romo needs a real running game to be at his most effective. Not a pretend one with McFadden and now, Alfred Morris.
We will have a real running game with or without Elliott. You can pretend all you want that we didn't have a good running game last year but we did.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We will have a real running game with or without Elliott. You can pretend all you want that we didn't have a good running game last year but we did.
Not pretending anything. It might have been acceptable looking at it from a numbers perspective, but it was ineffective in areas, especially short yardage. And it rarely was something that could be counted on to keep a game close and keep a shit defense off the field.

If anyone is "pretending" it is fans that think that our line is so damn good that other teams just fall over dead at the mere sight of them.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Absolutely correct. Gotta have both.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not pretending anything. It might have been acceptable looking at it from a numbers perspective, but it was ineffective in areas, especially short yardage. And it rarely was something that could be counted on to keep a game close and keep a shit defense off the field.
Yeah because we had no QB, it's not rocket science.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah because we had no QB, it's not rocket science.
And it is not that ridiculously simple.

This is basically you saying that McFadden could have have had the type of year Murray had if Romo was around.

That is pretty fucking retarded.

Jiggyfly

Banned

If anyone is "pretending" it is fans that think that our line is so damn good that other teams just fall over dead at the mere sight of them.
That running game did not do that at the end of 2014 either is was Romo converting 3rd downs at a historical rate.

I am with you on not wanting to depend on Mcfadden and Morris but there are other backs who would be an upgrade in this draft as well.

I don't think I have ever seen you homer out for a particular guy like this.:lol

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

The run game did keep us in several games despite our average defense, no Romo and no Dez for all intents and purposes.

The Giants game on the road, the Eagles game at home although Cassel was also solid, the Jets (best run D in the league), the Bills, the Falcons, the Packers to an extent, the Seahawks and even the Patriots to some extent, the game was only 6-3 right up until halftime.

This isn't counting the Dolphins game with Romo when McFadden had a very 2014 Murray like performance either.

Take a look at that list, the vast majority of those teams were fighting to make the playoffs all year and in most of those games the run game was very solid despite almost nothing in the passing game. The run game was inconsistent certainly, partially because our RB's just weren't that talented, but also because our offense was just a complete shit show in general. But believe me, with a healthy Romo and Dez teams will have alot to worry about with whoever we have back there at RB, assuming Romo doesn't continually check out of runs for no good reason.

Taking Elliott isn't about having a respectable or even good running game, I think we will have that either way, it's about taking it to the next level, having a historic running game, the type of attack that could will a team to a Super Bowl.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Taking Elliott isn't about having a respectable or even good running game, I think we will have that either way, it's about taking it to the next level, having a historic running game, the type of attack that could will a team to a Super Bowl.
Of course, that is the point.

If we can't get a QB, what is the next best thing?

Getting a player that can amp up the team in an appreciable role.

Is someone going to actually suggest that getting Jalen Ramsey and having Marinelli fumble about how to use him like he did Byron Jones going to do that?

How about Bosa? Trying to plug a LDE into other roles thinking he is a game changer?

The fourth pick should be about taking the franchise difference maker.

Long term, that is a QB.

Short term, it is perhaps the most pro ready, best out fresh out of the box, prospect.

I would be saying the same thing if there were a WR of Elliott's caliber in this class.

It is all about this class. This one. This draft. Don't bore me with lazy comparisons to other drafts.

A few months ago, people claimed there were no franchise QBs in this draft and now look where we are.

Top Bottom