Eatman: Even When Zeke Returns, Cowboys Must Find Role For Morris

Jiggyfly

Banned
Eatman: Even When Zeke Returns, Cowboys Must Find Role For Morris
Friday, August 19, 2016 10:37 PM CDT

By Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
@nickeatman

ARLINGTON, Texas – Missing an entire training camp with an injury is tough enough to come back from. Having to do that, plus beat out a veteran – just for the backup spot – seems like a daunting task.

But after two preseason games, that’s exactly what Darren McFadden and Lance Dunbar are both facing. Because one thing is rather clear:

Alfred Morris is on this football team. And better yet, he needs a significant role, too.
Yeah, I know we’re all waiting to see what Ezekiel Elliott will do, and next week’s matchup with the Seahawks will provide a great test. And no, I’m not suggesting Morris should be the starter for this year.

But he should be the starter for next week’s game. Morris has done everything that has been asked of him – and more. To me, he’s starting next week for a series or so, and then Elliott comes in for a half.

That’s just how I would do it. I’d make the rookie come in and take the job away from someone who has clearly grabbed the position by the horns.
Again, Elliott doesn’t need to worry. He’s the No. 4 overall pick and he’s going to play, and play a lot, when he’s fully healthy.

But for those who wondered just what kind of role Morris would have (And note, I’m taking a break from this column to raise both hands because I wasn’t sure at all that Morris would fit in), he’s proving us all wrong.

In Friday night’s 41-14 win over the Dolphins, Morris put up some impressive numbers in one half, rushing for 85 yards on 13 attempts (6.5 average). His longest run was just 20 yards, although he had another 20-yard touchdown run called back because of a procedure penalty.
On both runs to the end zone, Morris juked, cut, alluded, bounced and plunged – just about everything to get into the end zone without any of it looking rather pretty. Then again, who needs a pretty running back? Jason Garrett’s definition of “dirty yards” is exactly what Morris all about.

What’s so great about Morris is that … nothing is great. He’s just good at a lot of things. He’s a good inside runner, but not with a ton of power. He’s got quick feet, but obviously not great speed. He’s not a pass-catcher and he’s not a great blocker.

But he’s just good. And sometimes good is great, especially for what will eventually be a backup role.

To me, from what I’ve noticed about Morris in the few months he’s been with the Cowboys, is how different he is from other players. And by different, it’s certainly refreshing. His perspective is unlike other players.

A sixth-round pick of the Redskins in 2012 out of Florida Atlantic, Morris went to Washington just hoping he could make the Redskins’ practice squad. He started in Week 1. Once he won the job, Morris admitted he was just trying to keep the position and was so afraid someone might take it. Instead, he rushed for over 1,600 yards and made the Pro Bowl. And then made it again.

That feeling of never taking things for granted is probably the reason he still drives the only car he’s ever owned – a 1991 Mazda 626. That’s right, five years into the NFL and he’s still driving a car 25 years old, just two years younger than him.

Once in training camp, a reporter asked him about taking advantage of McFadden and Dunbar, and then Elliott, all being out with injury. Instead of acknowledging the extra reps, Morris corrected the reporter.

“No, I want them to come back, soon. When they come back, it’ll be better competition. And competition makes us better.”

And if you’re thinking that’s just lip service, with this guy it isn’t. Morris is one of those happy-go-lucky players who doesn’t seem worried about too many things he can’t control. Let’s not mistake that for someone who isn’t serious about his craft, though.

I remember back in the summer he told me that he’s not a complete running back yet. He said he needs to get better as a receiver and blocker. But, he added that he signed with Dallas to get the opportunity to do just that.

Now, even Morris couldn’t have known three tailbacks would be out for most of camp and he’d be left, along with rookie Darius Jackson, to get nearly every rep. He has caught the ball a little better, although he had a drop on the first offensive series.
He’ll probably never develop into a great pass-catcher and don’t look for him to blow anyone up like a fullback. But at this point in his career, Morris has shown that’s he pretty good when he runs the football.

So good that the Cowboys must find a role for him, regardless of what the rest of the running back depth chart looks like.

townsend

Banned
I'd like to see Morris used like Marion Barber in 07 as the closer that beats up the worn down defense.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
This should be interesting because other than '14 with Murray we really haven't put much effort in the run game. But that was often when Garrett was calling plays when he and Romo were so pass happy. With Zeke and Morris and this OL we should be able to have an explosive and balanced attack. We have a chance to be one of the best offenses in the league.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Unless Zeke blows me away in the next game I'd let Morris run with the first team and just work Zeke in off the bench.

This would be a perfect opportunity for Garrett and the coaches to send a message that everything is earned. Which is why they probably won't do it.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
I just hope that we don't make the idiotic mistake of keeping McFadden when he returns and trying to trade Morris.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I just hope that we don't make the idiotic mistake of keeping McFadden when he returns and trying to trade Morris.
I'd like us to try and get anything for DMac and keep the young guy in Jackson we liked enough to spent a pick on, but I have my doubts they will do it

Jiggyfly

Banned
I'd like us to try and get anything for DMac and keep the young guy in Jackson we liked enough to spent a pick on, but I have my doubts they will do it
All things be equal I would keep Mcfadden as a reserve, he is still better as a pass protector and receiver than Morris and Jackson if Zeke were to be hurt.

Having Morris and Macfadden would ensure minimal dropoff.

Jackson has looked pretty average IMO I don't see him as a great prospect so far.

If they can get a 5th or better for Mcfadden I trade him but I would not just cut him for Jackson.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I agree that Jackson hasn't shown enough to just throw McFadden away. He's been decent enough but I think we can easily carry 4 RB's and at this point keeping McFadden for depth is a good idea, obviously I'd rather trade him though.

The real travesty will be if Dunbar makes the 53 over one of these two despite not doing shit all offseason.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Keep the three and Jackson to the PS.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I agree that Jackson hasn't shown enough to just throw McFadden away. He's been decent enough but I think we can easily carry 4 RB's and at this point keeping McFadden for depth is a good idea, obviously I'd rather trade him though.

The real travesty will be if Dunbar makes the 53 over one of these two despite not doing shit all offseason.
I don't see that happening especially considering he has yet to see the field.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Eh I keep Jackson. He showed speed and burst on the play that was called back. McFadden is on the last year of his deal. I'd rather keep a young back with potential who will be here 4 years as opposed to an older back who is on the last year pf his contract.

I'd trade McFadden for whatever pick I can get. It makes more sense then having him as a third stringer for a year.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Eh I keep Jackson. He showed speed and burst on the play that was called back. McFadden is on the last year of his deal. I'd rather keep a young back with potential who will be here 4 years as opposed to an older back who is on the last year pf his contract.

I'd trade McFadden for whatever pick I can get. It makes more sense then having him as a third stringer for a year.
You can find a Jackson in every draft, if Zeke gets hurt you have 2 one dimensional guys who are a liability in the passing game.

I have seen nothing special in Jackson he is getting the yards that are blocked fo him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can find a Jackson in every draft, if Zeke gets hurt you have 2 one dimensional guys who are a liability in the passing game.

I have seen nothing special in Jackson he is getting the yards that are blocked fo him.
Actually Jackson is an excellent reciever. So no, I don't agree with that sentiment. And they may be available in every draft but you have to use a pick to get one. So you not only don't get a pick for McFadden but then have to burn another pick in next years draft on a RB. It's a waste of resources.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Actually Jackson is an excellent reciever. So no, I don't agree with that sentiment. And they may be available in every draft but you have to use a pick to get one. So you not only don't get a pick for McFadden but then have to burn another pick in next years draft on a RB. It's a waste of resources.
Where are you getting this excellent receiver from I see he is average.

And I was talking about as a blocker which he has had trouble with training camp.

I have not seen anything from Jackson to say he is a legitimate starting back, so yeah I would try and upgrade to eventually replace Morris and Mcfadden.

Just my opinion.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Unless Zeke blows me away in the next game I'd let Morris run with the first team and just work Zeke in off the bench.

This would be a perfect opportunity for Garrett and the coaches to send a message that everything is earned. Which is why they probably won't do it.
I mentioned this in another thread but I agree. Let Morris start for awhile for the first few games of the season and work Zeke in, even if he lights it up next week. It might be a "dress rehearsal" but it's still preseason.

Regarding McFadden, I'm in the "let him go" camp even though it probably won't happen. I would be cool with a rotation of Morris, Elliot, Jackson and whoever we keep as a FB. That isn't a knock on McFadden because he had an unexpectedly good season last year but even so, he only managed three rushing touchdowns and even if he hangs around this season, he'll be gone next season.

The other issue is, we need depth at DE to start the season and a fifth back would be a luxury at this point.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I mean I get that Mcfadden is not liked and I would not want him starting again, but what has Jackson showed so far to replace a guy we know can get a 1000 yards behind this line as well as block and catch at an above average rate.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I mean I get that Mcfadden is not liked and I would not want him starting again, but what has Jackson showed so far to replace a guy we know can get a 1000 yards behind this line as well as block and catch at an above average rate.
In my case, it's not that I don't like McFadden because he had a good year last year. I would just rather have a 1-2 of Zeke/Morris in whichever order with a 3rd back who displays potential rather than an aging vet with a spotty career/injury history who didn't start all of last season and benefited from a solid OL. The dude's been injured and missed time something like twenty times in the last ten years.

It's time to see what the younger guys have rather than hang on to a vet who probably costs more than he's worth for a #3 back. With all the question marks on defense, this probably isn't a title team anyway. I wouldn't call it a rebuilding year but it's definitely a retooling year in some areas and if RB didn't need to be addressed, we wouldn't have signed Morris and drafted Zeke. JMO

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's time to see what the younger guys have rather than hang on to a vet who probably costs more than he's worth for a #3 back. With all the question marks on defense, this probably isn't a title team anyway. I wouldn't call it a rebuilding year but it's definitely a retooling year in some areas and if RB didn't need to be addressed, we wouldn't have signed Morris and drafted Zeke. JMO
I haven't given up on this yesr like you. I think this defense could be seevicable with the right running game. But I lole Jackson. He might not be special bit his size and speed aren't ordinary. He is a 220+ pound back that runs like Dunbar and catches well. To me that is worth developing. It's hard to get a feel for what he can do as a runner from his opportunities so far but I prefer that potential to McFadden who I know what he can do.

We are talking about a third stringer. In a third stringer I bet on potential and youth over age and experience. Especially if the veteran has trade potential and an injury history.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

I agree; it would be a bit of a mistake to keep McFadden over Jackson.

I think Jackson has been pretty good. And he's younger/cheaper/fresher. I'm guessing he'd get signed off the practice squad by someone.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I haven't given up on this yesr like you. I think this defense could be seevicable with the right running game. But I lole Jackson. He might not be special bit his size and speed aren't ordinary. He is a 220+ pound back that runs like Dunbar and catches well. To me that is worth developing. It's hard to get a feel for what he can do as a runner from his opportunities so far but I prefer that potential to McFadden who I know what he can do.

We are talking about a third stringer. In a third stringer I bet on potential and youth over age and experience. Especially if the veteran has trade potential and an injury history.
Agree on all points.

Top Bottom