The Home Improvement Thread

data

Forbes #1
cuz there has to be some good fodder for banter on this topic.

Phone app activated light switches
security systems
Nest
expansions
renovations
Cowboys room
patio
oragnization - shelves, cabinets
steam cleaning
artificial grass
hot tubs
soundproofing
power tools

junk

Not So New Member
I bought a new toilet for my laundry room. Getting a $75 rebate from the water department. Also some discount remnant linoleum to put up in there.

So, I'll have a pretty sporty new place to shit/do laundry here shortly.

data

Forbes #1
I bought a new toilet for my laundry room. Getting a $75 rebate from the water department. Also some discount remnant linoleum to put up in there.

So, I'll have a pretty sporty new place to shit/do laundry here shortly.
Not that I have a big ass, but the round toilets are just too small. Hope you got the elongated. It's disgudting when you have to tuck your junk under the rim.

also, only way to do toilet seat is hard surface (usually plastic). No fuzzy seats, no cushioned seats.

Did if you go for the style with separate pee and poo buttons?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Not that I have a big ass, but the round toilets are just too small. Hope you got the elongated. It's disgudting when you have to tuck your junk under the rim.

also, only way to do toilet seat is hard surface (usually plastic). No fuzzy seats, no cushioned seats.

Did if you go for the style with separate pee and poo buttons?
Do yo have to select before you start? :art

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
In the middle of putting up a new pipe fence along the frontage road. Post and top rail style with 5 foot horse fence on. Man welding in this weather sucks ass. Also, nearly finished making daughters loft bed with a desk underneath. Got a new Mig welder about 6 months ago and finally started some projects.

data

Forbes #1
That's some hardcore shit right there. I just bought a leaf vacuum and thought I was all bad-ass

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
I have finished my converted barn to patio. All I need is a ridge cap and some paint now. I was cheap and reused some of the self tappers that I pulled out during demo. I paid for it. Since they were used, they couldn't drill through the schedule 40 pipe the barn is built out of, so I had to pre-dill 150 holes before I put the screws in. Just about whooped my ass.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I'm thinking about upgrading my thermostat. I've been considering getting a Nest. Wondering if anyone here has any experience with them or any recommendations.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
So I'm thinking about upgrading my thermostat. I've been considering getting a Nest. Wondering if anyone here has any experience with them or any recommendations.
My friend has some birds I will ask her. Just a little wierd thing you have there, though.

data

Forbes #1
I don't have it, but friends that do. No complaints.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't have it, but friends that do. No complaints.
They look pretty legit and my thermostats just look old and shitty. Plus the local power company has a $100.00 rebate when you get one.

Cotton

Staff member
I have a Honeywell smart thermostat and I really like it.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Buying a new construction home, moving in next week. Probably will be stopping in here a bit.

Anyone know anything about staining furniture? Got some dining room chairs that need an espresso stain.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Buying a new construction home, moving in next week. Probably will be stopping in here a bit.

Anyone know anything about staining furniture? Got some dining room chairs that need an espresso stain.
What's a construction home? That is a new term to me.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

I would sand them down good with at least 220 grit sandpaper and use a tack cloth and air compressor to blow all of the dust off.

Then just get an old rag and dip in the stain and start covering the chair.

Staining is a lot like spray painting...you just want to apply a light layer.

You might want to have a small foam brush to catch any build up in the cracks or corners.

If it's not dark enough once it's dried, apply another light staining.

Once you're happy with the color it's time to poly.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah that's the other one I've been looking at. Pretty cool I get a $100 from the electric company for purchasing either of them.
The one I got is pretty cool. Full-on scheduling abilities. Ability to adjust it remotely from an app on your phone. I like it. Not sure how much the Nest is, but this one I got for like 50 bucks on a black Friday deal.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
So essentially, someone else could control your thermostat.

I won't be having that shit in my home.

No internet-connected refrigerator, no smart device that controls my home's appliances.

Fuck every bit of that.

Those things aren't so time-consuming that I have to free up my schedule in such a manner to so heavily rely on technology to do it for me.

Top Bottom