Time for Tony Romo's successor? The top 5 quarterbacks in next year's draft

p1_

DCC 4Life
Time for Cowboys to find Tony Romo's successor? The top 5 quarterbacks in next year's NFL Draft
By Michael Florek
Published: 26 November 2015 10:50 PM
Updated: 27 November 2015 12:12 AM

Tony Romo's season is likely over and the Cowboys are headed for a possible top 5 pick. Is this the opportunity Jerry Jones takes to find Romo's successor?

The 2016 quarterback draft class has five quarterbacks as solid projections to be taken in the first two rounds according to CBS Sports.

Here's a look at those five quarterbacks:

1. Paxton Lynch, Memphis

Projected round: 1st

Size: 6-7, 245 pounds

Class: Junior

Stats: 271 for 392 (69.1 percent), 3,448 yards, 21 touchdowns, three interceptions

Note from CBS draft analysts Dane Brugler and Rob Rang: "With continued development, Lynch could be this year's version of Blake Bortles if he declares for the draft - a prospect from the non-Power 5 conferences who checks a lot of boxes for NFL evaluators in an average quarterback class."

2. Jared Goff, California

Size: 6-4, 215 pounds

Stats: 286 for 441 (64.9 percent), 3,170 yards, 32 touchdowns, 13 interceptions

Note from CBS draft analysts Dane Brugler and Rob Rang: "Goff has a snappy over-the-top release and isn't afraid to zip the ball through tight windows, typically leading his receivers away from danger. He possesses enough arm strength to complete deep outs to the opposite sideline and shows good touch down the seam."

3. Connor Cook, Michigan State

Size: 6-4, 220 pounds

Class: Redshirt senior

Stats: 175 for 311 (56.3 percent), 2,482 yards, 21 touchdowns, four interceptions

Note from CBS draft analysts Dane Brugler and Rob Rang: "While he has his flaws, Cook shows a number of reasons to be encouraged about his potential in the NFL. Bottom line with Cook, he has the physical traits ideally suited for the pro game with tape that shows off a number of NFL throws."

4. Christian Hackenberg, Penn State

Projected round: 2nd

Size: 6-4, 236 pounds

Stats: 162 for 306 (52.9 percent), 2,129 yards, 14 touchdowns, three interceptions.

Note from CBS draft analysts Dane Brugler and Rob Rang: "Hackenberg has special arm talent as the ball jumps off his hand and zips through the air with effortless motion. Drives through his hips to put velocity on throws."

5. Carson Wentz, North Dakota State

Projected round: 2nd

Size: 6-5, 231 pounds

Class: Senior

Stats: 114 for 179, 1,454 yards, 16 touchdowns, two interceptions.

Note from CBS draft analysts Dane Brugler and Rob Rang: "The top FCS quarterback in the country, Wentz has the skill-set to potentially be one of the top-five senior quarterbacks in the 2016 class and mid-round draft pick. Wentz has a number of bad habits that need ironed out, but he is in the Mike Glennon mold with skills worth developing."

townsend

Banned
This coaching staff couldn't develop John Elway. Get Sean Peyton back here, fire Garrett and Linehan, Phillips, Pollack and whoever the hell else is doing nothing in this shithouse offense.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
^this.

And I want nothing to do with a college QB from a major conference that can't achieve 60% completion

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
^this.

And I want nothing to do with a college QB from a major conference that can't achieve 60% completion
I don't know about that. I think you have to keep in mind the type of offense a QB plays in. If a QB is playing in an NFL style offense that doesn't incorporate many passes to the RB his completion percentage will be lower. Hell Tom Brady was right at 60 when he was at Michigan. I'd be more concerned about YPA or TD/Int ratio and the fact that the QB knows how to actually read a defense.

If a spread QB has a high completion percentage it is pretty meaningless.

Carl

RIP Brother
I kind of like Goff a bit; the others not so much.

townsend

Banned
I kind of like Goff a bit; the others not so much.
he seems to struggle with touch passes. He seems to bullet the hell out of them. I saw a dozen passes ricochet off of the hands of his receivers against USC.

Carl

RIP Brother
he seems to struggle with touch passes. He seems to bullet the hell out of them. I saw a dozen passes ricochet off of the hands of his receivers against USC.
I think he has decent potential. I'd take him over the others. Hard to find a QB these days. I like UCLA's QB but he is only a freshman, so that won't work.

shane

DCC 4Life
Watching Cook for many years at MSU, I have been very impressed by him. However, I am not sure if he's worth a top 10 pick. If we can get him early in the second round though, it would be great value.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Hackenberg is not anywhere near my top five QBs in this draft.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Watching Cook for many years at MSU, I have been very impressed by him. However, I am not sure if he's worth a top 10 pick. If we can get him early in the second round though, it would be great value.
Right now it is looking more and more like Cook will go in the second round. I agree though, I've been saying for awhile he reminds me of an Andy Dalton type talent.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hackenberg is not anywhere near my top five QBs in this draft.
Yeah he is bad. I don't get the hype at all. He just looks like he is constantly laboring as a QB. I don't even really want Hackenberg in the first 4 rounds at all. Just doesn't look natural or comfortable as a QB at all.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm not a fan of Cook in the 1st either, at the top of the 2nd?

Sure, but I would never touch him in the top 10-15 of a draft.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't really seen much Lynch or Goff. Their teams losing has me a little concerned but I'm intrigued by both. Physcially they have a lot to like but I want to see more to form a good opinion.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Depending on where we end up, I wouldn't be against grabbing another WR/DT/LB in the first, and Carson Wentz in the 2nd.

I freely admit, I'm a whore for NDSU, but I really think Wentz can be good in the NFL. And this would be a good situation for him. Sit behind Romo for a year or two, then take over. Let him learn slowly, and get a little experience during the time Romo will surely miss. Hopefully not more than a game or two, of course. I think he'll struggle if he's asked to step right in and start for a team from day 1.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Depending on where we end up, I wouldn't be against grabbing another WR/DT/LB in the first, and Carson Wentz in the 2nd.

I freely admit, I'm a whore for NDSU, but I really think Wentz can be good in the NFL. And this would be a good situation for him. Sit behind Romo for a year or two, then take over. Let him learn slowly, and get a little experience during the time Romo will surely miss. Hopefully not more than a game or two, of course. I think he'll struggle if he's asked to step right in and start for a team from day 1.
I don't fault you for whoring Wentz. I would take him all day everyday over guys like Cardale Jones and Hackenberg and he's not going to be a first round guy.

I have only watched him a little, and from what I see, he appears to be what you would take in our circumstances. He needs to sit a year or two, but is used to winning. Above everything else, I don't see a bunch of physical or mechanical problems that need to be corrected. It is not like he has a bad throwing motion or poor footwork that our inept QB coach would have to work on.

I just wish there was a game or two against a higher level of competition to see what he's really capable of.

p1_

DCC 4Life
God, the more I read that we have another year of Romo, with no disrespect to him, the more depressed I get. I can't help but feel convinced we will be right back here in this same stinking mess. He will go down hard again, i just know.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
God, the more I read that we have another year of Romo, with no disrespect to him, the more depressed I get. I can't help but feel convinced we will be right back here in this same stinking mess. He will go down hard again, i just know.
We have another year of Romo and Garrett no matter what, and it will come out just the same as this year. So, if we don't get a QB to groom in 2016, we'll get one to start in 2017 when we fire Garrett and cut Romo.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We have another year of Romo and Garrett no matter what, and it will come out just the same as this year. So, if we don't get a QB to groom in 2016, we'll get one to start in 2017 when we fire Garrett and cut Romo.
And that's not the smart way to go.

The time is now. Not when we are desperate.

My worst fear is getting a Griffin or something for Romo's backup and ignoring the draft.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah he is bad. I don't get the hype at all. He just looks like he is constantly laboring as a QB. I don't even really want Hackenberg in the first 4 rounds at all. Just doesn't look natural or comfortable as a QB at all.
Kid is an arm talent and that is it. Mentally, footwork, mechanics, pocket presence...a damn nightmare.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
And that's not the smart way to go.

The time is now. Not when we are desperate.

My worst fear is getting a Griffin or something for Romo's backup and ignoring the draft.
The time should be now, but you know this organization will blow an entire season on "maybe shit will get better on its own if we don't do anything to try and fix it".

Top Bottom